Numeric Shifter Review (991.1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 01:48 AM
jvasquez8
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Numeric Shifter Review (991.1)

Hello all,

I have a 2013 Carrera S Cab 7 Speed, Not a track fiend, but I like a sporty drive from time to time. I've never been a fan of the stock shifter, it always felt vague, and sometimes I lacked confidence knowing which gear I was going into. Especially downshifting from 7th or 6th gear. I just installed the Numeric Racing Shifter in my car, and wow, it's an amazing difference. I was hesitant to invest in a new shifter, as I wanted to try it before I bought it. I had a chance to finally try a Numeric shifter at the Carlisle, PA Porsche swap meet, and I could tell it was going to make a huge improvement.

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer. I'm sometimes known as "Edward Sh*t for Hands", but I installed the Numeric shift mount (with 2mm spring) in about 90 minutes all said and done. Make sure you have a Torx 25 driver, plastic panel removal tool, a crescent wrench to adjust the shift rod to your desired height. and some zip ties to do the work. Also, when you pull out the radio, it's helpful to have a friend (or teenage son) to hold it while you pull out some panels to avoid unplugging all the cables connected to the radio. I also did not purchase or install the shift cables, as that's way beyond my abilities. Numeric's racing Youtube video is all you need.

Compared to the stock shifter, it is more precise, has a much clearer feel as to what gear you're in, and what gear you're going into. It feels almost like a gated shifter with rifle-bolt action. The distance between gears is very short, and the shifter height is lower and feels more natural. It does require a bit more effort to change gears, though the precision is worth it. Hope that helps someone with a decision. I can't more highly recommend the Numeric Shift kit.

Don't forget you get 10% off with the Rennlist code at checkout too!

Happy driving!
The following 4 users liked this post by jvasquez8:
desmotesta (05-20-2021), jfischet (05-20-2021), Numeric Racing (05-20-2021), wilmaya (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:01 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Now get the cables, that's transformational.
The following users liked this post:
Numeric Racing (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 09:57 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 949 Likes on 472 Posts

Congrats. Did the same and very happy with results. Careful when shifting from 5 to 6. If you don't do it with intentional force, it tends to want to go into 4th instead.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:08 PM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 457 Likes on 259 Posts

Can you adjust the rod height after you install it?
Old 05-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Can you adjust the rod height after you install it?
Yes! It is very easy. Just have to pop the boot off

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 05-20-2021, 01:16 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by jvasquez8
Hello all,

I have a 2013 Carrera S Cab 7 Speed, Not a track fiend, but I like a sporty drive from time to time. I've never been a fan of the stock shifter, it always felt vague, and sometimes I lacked confidence knowing which gear I was going into. Especially downshifting from 7th or 6th gear. I just installed the Numeric Racing Shifter in my car, and wow, it's an amazing difference. I was hesitant to invest in a new shifter, as I wanted to try it before I bought it. I had a chance to finally try a Numeric shifter at the Carlisle, PA Porsche swap meet, and I could tell it was going to make a huge improvement.

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer. I'm sometimes known as "Edward Sh*t for Hands", but I installed the Numeric shift mount (with 2mm spring) in about 90 minutes all said and done. Make sure you have a Torx 25 driver, plastic panel removal tool, a crescent wrench to adjust the shift rod to your desired height. and some zip ties to do the work. Also, when you pull out the radio, it's helpful to have a friend (or teenage son) to hold it while you pull out some panels to avoid unplugging all the cables connected to the radio. I also did not purchase or install the shift cables, as that's way beyond my abilities. Numeric's racing Youtube video is all you need.

Compared to the stock shifter, it is more precise, has a much clearer feel as to what gear you're in, and what gear you're going into. It feels almost like a gated shifter with rifle-bolt action. The distance between gears is very short, and the shifter height is lower and feels more natural. It does require a bit more effort to change gears, though the precision is worth it. Hope that helps someone with a decision. I can't more highly recommend the Numeric Shift kit.

Don't forget you get 10% off with the Rennlist code at checkout too!

Happy driving!
Awesome review! Glad you are loving it and it was great to meet you at Carlisle!
Old 05-20-2021, 05:43 PM
jvasquez8
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice to meet you at Carisle too. So glad I met you all so I could get a 1st hand feel on the shifter. Once I become more brave, I'll give the cables a try next!
Old 05-20-2021, 07:55 PM
CPL55
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

I second this... I installed the Numeric short shifter in my 991 a few months ago, and it's just transformational. Highly recommend.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,014 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ox
Now get the cables, that's transformational.
100% agreed, just takes a bit more effort to install. And make sure to get the bulkhead wrench.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter Review (991.1)