Sponsored by:

New to me Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2021 | 09:26 AM
NA2
Rennlist Member

Default ironic

Originally Posted by NJ991
Congrats. That is a perfect build. Love that color too. I had the same feeling about the shifter in my GTS. It was tall and loose. Ended up installing the GT4 shifter, which is very good. I’m sure the Numeric is great too, especially with the cables, but for a GTS, it was fine. I would expect more if it was a GT car.
i'm in your area.....I'm actually going to be hitting 7 Lakes Drive today in my GTS with a friend in his 997 GT3. Just read this post and it really hits home......because everytime I drive my friend's GT3 I can't get over how superior the gearbox and linkage in his car feels compared to mine. We are meeting in Tuxedo NY if you want to get out for a drive. Selfishly, I'd love to see the GT4 shifter on the GTS. PM if interested.
Old 05-19-2021 | 10:52 AM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 812SF
funny you said that. I already looked into it and watched the install video. I'll have to decide between shifter only and shifter plus cables.
We were born to solve this problem! The stock shifter really is flimsy and trash. I'll tell you this, once you install one on your Targa you'll want one for your GT3. Feel free to give us a call if you want the detailed explanation for just shifter or shifter and cables!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 05-19-2021 | 12:49 PM
812SF
Instructor

Interesting. The GT3 shifter is pretty solid in my book and seems it would be hard to improve upon (although I like my Hurst shifter in my 65 Corvette Coupe better). I think after watching the videos, I would be inclined to try the shifter with the stock cables. I'm sure the cables make it better but much more involved to install. I have my own lifts but the thought of having to pull the rear seats and console doesn't sound like fun. Maybe I can save that for a winter project.

Old 05-19-2021 | 03:27 PM
Watson
Burning Brakes

I haven’t driven the Targa much. I’d like to put some more miles on it first. I really like my GT3 but I hate the seats. Once you’re in them they are not bad but the 18 Way seats are so much more comfortable. I like the way the Targa looks and I wanted a 911 with an open top. I’ve never tracked my GT3. Just spirited street driving.

I think a GT3 touring would be $70 to $80k more than a Targa.
Thanks for your interesting feedback and please come back to us when you have accumulated more miles in the Targa GTS.

7MT Targa GTS are rarer in Europe (where I live) compared to North America (thanks to you guys for buying manuals!). So if I import one, when I add 20% VAT + 10% Custom taxes + cost of conversion to Euro specs (bumpers, lights, speedometer), I end up not so far from a European GT3 manual.

Old 05-19-2021 | 09:16 PM
812SF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Watson
Thanks for your interesting feedback and please come back to us when you have accumulated more miles in the Targa GTS.

7MT Targa GTS are rarer in Europe (where I live) compared to North America (thanks to you guys for buying manuals!). So if I import one, when I add 20% VAT + 10% Custom taxes + cost of conversion to Euro specs (bumpers, lights, speedometer), I end up not so far from a European GT3 manual.
wow that's alotta taxes! Years ago Americans thought every car in Europe had a manual. I was told that manual Targas are rare here too. So far I love the car except for the shifter which I will address. I also was surprised at how much buffeting there is with the top down at high speeds. Then I realized you can pop up the windscreen so I'll have to try again. My car also has soul performance cats which brings out the turbo sounds and burbles which is awesome!
The following users liked this post:
Watson (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021 | 12:28 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Default Wow!

I got the bug for a 992 Targa after seeing a 991.2 at an event at a local Porsche dealer. I had just missed an allocation my dealer had and it's not looking good for more anytime soon. Just a few weeks later, the same car that made me want a Targa was traded and I bought it. I never thought I'd own a gray Porsche but the colors on this car fit my taste. Plus it offsets my 991.2 Voodoo Blue GT3. One flashy and one drab. Car has GTS interior and a 7 speed. The first think I noticed when I drove it was how the shift feel is so much looser than the GT3. If they could make a shifter on a GT3 so good, why would they not do that on the other models?

Anyway, here it is:

Just gorgeous! Really love the color

I’ve often thought of getting a 2nd Porsche and I can’t stop thinking about the Targa! For a long time I looked around for a 7MT Targa 4 GTS with FAL, Burmester and seat ventilation. Then this bizarre price bubble started to take hold and nothing makes sense anymore.
Old 05-20-2021 | 12:55 PM
812SF
Instructor

So far I love the Targa. It sounds great with the Soul Performance sport cats that let's out the turbo whine. It is also so much more comfortable than the GT3 so I'll drive it a lot more. The prices are in a bubble right now but I don't care. The GT3 and my 458 Spider are both appreciating so technically that offsets any over payment I may have paid for this car, but I really don't think I overpaid. I don't miss the FAL either. all the places so far that I needed the FAL on the GT3, I haven't needed it on the Targa.
Old 05-26-2021 | 03:15 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Love your TARGA......
The following users liked this post:
812SF (06-01-2021)
Old 10-13-2021 | 10:23 AM
JC3
Advanced

So far I love the Targa. It sounds great with the Soul Performance sport cats that let's out the turbo whine. It is also so much more comfortable than the GT3 so I'll drive it a lot more. The prices are in a bubble right now but I don't care. The GT3 and my 458 Spider are both appreciating so technically that offsets any over payment I may have paid for this car, but I really don't think I overpaid. I don't miss the FAL either. all the places so far that I needed the FAL on the GT3, I haven't needed it on the Targa.
This Targa is exactly what I've been trying to find and add some Soul performance to it! Did you ever end up changing the gear shift/cables?
Old 10-13-2021 | 11:03 AM
812SF
Instructor

I have not changed the gear shift cables. I did add a tune from Softtronic this week and I have to say it's a big improvement. It pulls much harder now. I drove my GT3 to work this morning and it shifts better than the Targa, The Numeric shifter tightened up the shifter and shortened the throws but did nothing to reduce the feel. The GT3 is east to shift fast but the Targa resists going into gear. Like you forcing it into gear. The cables might help this or I may try to replace the Numeric shifter with a GT3 shifter although I'm not sure a 6 speed and 7 speed shifter are interchangeable.

I pretty much daily this car and just absolutely love it.

Last edited by 812SF; 10-13-2021 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2021 | 01:45 AM
krukdesigns
Former Vendor

Gorgeous spec and stick....... congrats!
Old 08-12-2022 | 08:57 AM
Ennio Manghi
4th Gear

Old 08-12-2022 | 12:44 PM
TonyVan
Instructor

Have a 2019 Targa GTS. Looked for over a year to find a MT and finally gave up and went PDK. The few MT cars I saw were light on options.
mine is the same color with Bordeaux interior. Brightens things up a bit.
Thought I would have liked the Stainless Targa hoop but the black blends better with the grey. Certainly not the same driving experience as my ‘74 911 Targa. It’s still my favorite drive.
guess I’m an old analog guy!
Tony

Last edited by TonyVan; 08-12-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: New to me Targa 4 GTS