Sponsored by:

PSE doesn’t turn in when first starting cold in open loop

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 01:22 PM
k_h_d
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default PSE doesn’t turn in when first starting cold in open loop

Why would PSE not turn in when the car is first started and it’s in open loop? Even with the button pressed?
Old 05-07-2021, 01:28 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Because it's vacuum operated and there is no reservoir.

(edit)
To add a bit more explanation, the exhaust valves are operated by a vacuum drawn from the intake manifold, and the solenoids are normally-open, which releases the vacuum in the lines against the actuators, probably for wear purposes. Without a reservoir to store vacuum pressure to introduce to the valve actuators, the engine needs to build vacuum in the intake manifold before it can actuate the valves.

As far as why it takes it like 10-15 seconds to do so is not well explained by this though. Vacuum exists shortly after the engine is started. Could be a cold start emissions thing -- more flow, SAI, overinjection, all to get the cats up to temp -- but that's just conjecture on my part. Hasn't bothered me enough to investigate further. When I convert the valves to a proper dump instead of the crappy PSE setup I might look into this more.

Last edited by asellus; 05-07-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

PSE appears to be disabled on starts until the ECU lowers the idle speed after start.

Why the higher revs at cold start? I never have liked it due to wear and tear on a cold engine. Sure it’s emissions related.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:48 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
PSE appears to be disabled on starts until the ECU lowers the idle speed after start.

Why the higher revs at cold start? I never have liked it due to wear and tear on a cold engine. Sure it’s emissions related.
Cold engines don't like idling low, generally. Remember carburetors? It also helps to heat the catalysts faster.

If you're worried about wear and tear on a cold engine, start it up and go out and drive it right away like you're supposed to!
Old 05-08-2021, 07:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Cold start is about 1,200 rpm for about 60 seconds. Then the car settles in at about 825 rpm. This is a non event.
Old 05-08-2021, 10:46 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Cold engines don't like idling low, generally. Remember carburetors? It also helps to heat the catalysts faster.

If you're worried about wear and tear on a cold engine, start it up and go out and drive it right away like you're supposed to!
Been doing what you posted for 50 years.

It has been documented for some time that most engine wear occurs on cold starts, and while heating the cats for emissions is needed, I'm not convinced that those higher revs when cold are inconsequential.

Cold starts in colder climates has been mentioned as a factor associated with cylinder wall scoring (if credence is to be given various forum posts on the topic).

The other issue is that many experience valve train noise on cold start, if the car has been sitting for a few days, not happy with that either. Prior to owning my 911, the only cars that I saw this on were high mileage cars with worn valve trains. When this happens, I drive quite sedately until the noise dissipates.

Luckily, my 911 rarely sits that long. Right now it is sitting, as the "love bug" season is in full swing where I live. My SUV will fill in the role of "love bug" killer until the swarm subsides (lasts several weeks).

Quick Reply: PSE doesn’t turn in when first starting cold in open loop