Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detailing question, how do you clean black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

My recommendation so that you using your time efficiently. Remove wheels. Perform iron decon and assess finish clarity of current wheels. If not great, do 1 step polish. Ceramic coat the whole wheel with an appropriate higher temp approved coating. Let cure fully and drive the car. Will be light years easier to then maintain.

Use compressed air or leaf blower to blow out as much air as you can after washing. Immediately put car in garage. Check periodically for drips. Dry with mf towel or blow. Should be good to go.

Unless you have time to waste and like being frustrated anything else will be just that.
Old 04-25-2021, 03:21 PM
XavierD
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
My recommendation so that you using your time efficiently. Remove wheels. Perform iron decon and assess finish clarity of current wheels. If not great, do 1 step polish. Ceramic coat the whole wheel with an appropriate higher temp approved coating. Let cure fully and drive the car. Will be light years easier to then maintain.

Use compressed air or leaf blower to blow out as much air as you can after washing. Immediately put car in garage. Check periodically for drips. Dry with mf towel or blow. Should be good to go.

Unless you have time to waste and like being frustrated anything else will be just that.
This is what my detailer suggested when I did complete ceramic coating and ppf, however it was, translated to USD, over $100 for each wheel and the complete polish/ppf/coating was pretty expensive to begin with. Since I never cleaned a black wheel before, I told myself I'd try it first. Insert facepalm here.

But still, I'm wary of taking of the wheels unless it's a tire change. The rims are in perfect condition, and this residue can be wiped off with baby wipes (just tried). So my plan going forward is to do as good a job as possible to clean the wheels and apply a Gyeon Wetcoat myself and then proceed to pulling it into the garage and wiping off any water that dripped down.

We'll see how it goes

I don't think a full ceramic coating will help more than doing the above to be honest. But time will tell...

Last edited by XavierD; 04-25-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:17 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by XavierD
This is what my detailer suggested when I did complete ceramic coating and ppf, however it was, translated to USD, over $100 for each wheel and the complete polish/ppf/coating was pretty expensive to begin with. Since I never cleaned a black wheel before, I told myself I'd try it first. Insert facepalm here.

But still, I'm wary of taking of the wheels unless it's a tire change. The rims are in perfect condition, and this residue can be wiped off with baby wipes (just tried). So my plan going forward is to do as good a job as possible to clean the wheels and apply a Gyeon Wetcoat myself and then proceed to pulling it into the garage and wiping off any water that dripped down.

We'll see how it goes

I don't think a full ceramic coating will help more than doing the above to be honest. But time will tell...
Not a horrible plan. Saying “I don't think a full ceramic coating will help more than doing the above to be honest.” You will do a double face palm. Do what you can. Take the car back to your shop and have them coated if you can’t. Thorough wash, the decon with Gyeon Iron, then Gyeon Prep then Cancoat would be a bit longer lasting.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:30 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

https://thelastcoat.com/products/iro...-wheel-cleaner

I'm using this to iron off my GTS wheels and works quite nicely. I saw it from Remove Before Race guy advertising it and tried and surprised how well it cleans off.

watch this video and you will see how it turns brake dusts into purple. It's crazy.

Last edited by isugoo; 04-25-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:48 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I also highly recommend spraying Hyde’s Rust stopper right after each wheel and calliper is thoroughly cleaned and rinsed.

I’ve also realized an added benefit where this temporary eliminates the low speed brake squeal that’s always there for me. The squeal will eventually return once the brakes are dirty and the wheels are ready for another wash.

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?

Spray directly on rotors after wash to prevent rust build up. Once it builds up on the rotors, it'll coat the inside of your barrels once you drive off.

Use this liberally after your wheels are dry inside the rims and it will repel the rust that may settle. I love this stuff especially!
I always blow my car and wheels dry which helps get a lot of the water out of crevices, etc.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:09 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

I just finished cleaning up my black (powder coated by detailer's painter prior to delivery) winter wheel set for summer storage. These wheels were treated with ceramic by detailer when new (March 2019) and yes, that was pricey. I have tried multiple wheel treatments over the years. This time, I'm trying Dr. Beasley's spray wheel treatment. First time with it.

Black wheels are like a black car - rarely if ever perfect...

Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Think you will be happy with Dr Beasley. Mind you it will not necessarily keep brake dust off the wheels, but will make cleaning a lot easily. A quick spray with the hose will give you happy results.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:54 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,313 Posts

I typically use a solvent, a surfactant, a soft cloth wrapped around a sponge on a stick for agitating, and a leaf blower and/or soft cloth for drying.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:54 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Think you will be happy with Dr Beasley. Mind you it will not necessarily keep brake dust off the wheels, but will make cleaning a lot easily. A quick spray with the hose will give you happy results.
I treated my summer wheels with it when I did my semi-annual wheel change/wheel well cleaning a couple weeks ago. I haven’t had time to drive the car since the changeover but going for a cruise tomorrow. These OEM pads make a God-awful amount of dust so I should know pretty soon.
Trying to upgrade pads on a base car is a whole other story...
Old 04-26-2021, 08:37 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Hydes helps a lot. I have also head great things on GSF.

My process is as follows (high level)

After car is washed and ready to be dried. I hit the wheels with Hydes ruststopper.
I then do a quick over the entire car with the leaf blower and get about 90% of the water off the car.
I then drive the car. This will remove and heat up the rotors enough for water to not sit on them.
I will park and usually dry with some sort of lubricant (bead maker is my current one)
I then go over the tires with Mineral spirits. Add your favorite tire shine after here.
While I am doing the tires, I check each rotor. 99% of the time I wont have anything dripping. But also check to make sure no rust is forming on the rotor as it will all come off dry once you take it out for the first spin.
If nothing I move on to drying spokes like normal and finishing up.
If there is Rusty water I take compressed air and blow the rotor and clean up.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:00 PM
Dirty Jacket
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Just a heads up. Per the recommendations on several threads, I used Dr Beasleys matte wheel cleaner on my satin black centerlocks. One of them is now showing the corrosion thing which I’m pretty upset about.
hopefully the other ones won’t follow.
I’ll probably replace the lock eventually and will onlymy use the car wash soap.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:24 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 154 Posts

I wrote this up after looking into exactly this for my GTS. TLDR Shine Supply Clutch really makes them look great but isn't a long long term solution. But the only thing I tried (I have not tried Beasley's) which did anything remotely like what folks said it would do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetaili...eels_restored/
Old 02-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Jerry991
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

My 2019 GTS came with satin black center locks and I have tried various solutions and there is nothing that works completely. However, I did try ceramic brake pads which worked great on my BMW but not on the 911. Finally, I had the wheels powder coated in gloss black and cleared and while the brake/iron dust is still there it doesn't show nearly as much and I don't feel like I have to clean the wheels each time I drive it. The surface is also smoother which means less of the dust sticks to the wheels - I learned this when I got new tires this week and they had a hard time getting the wheel weights to stick.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:18 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 123 Posts

I wash my wheels, and the "barrel" blow off with leaf blower. Go for drive. Rust gets in barrel but is dry. I dampen on old sock, reach between spokes wipe barrel and done. PIA yes but no other solution.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:35 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Jacket
Just a heads up. Per the recommendations on several threads, I used Dr Beasleys matte wheel cleaner on my satin black centerlocks. One of them is now showing the corrosion thing which I’m pretty upset about.
hopefully the other ones won’t follow.
I’ll probably replace the lock eventually and will onlymy use the car wash soap.
Can you post a picture?

Quick Reply: Detailing question, how do you clean black wheels?