Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Failure - 991.2 with 16k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 01:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

"Engine failure" More like coolant failure. I think you are overreacting a bit. While I'm beating down, one more..
DO NOT remove the coolant cap when the engine is hot!!!!!! It is under pressure and over boiling point, you can scaled your self and get steam burns. Both very bad.

Really, the issues you have are in many post here. It has almost nothing to do with how you are driving your car. Either the water pump failed, or one of the changeover valves failed. Both sadly are kind of normal.
You should also be under warranty, so it should just be annoying that this happened.
The following 3 users liked this post by Stealth 993:
desmotesta (04-24-2021), jimmiejam (06-28-2021), XLR82XS (04-22-2021)
Old 04-22-2021, 02:01 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
"Engine failure" More like coolant failure. I think you are overreacting a bit. While I'm beating down, one more..
DO NOT remove the coolant cap when the engine is hot!!!!!! It is under pressure and over boiling point, you can scaled your self and get steam burns. Both very bad.

Really, the issues you have are in many post here. It has almost nothing to do with how you are driving your car. Either the water pump failed, or one of the changeover valves failed. Both sadly are kind of normal.
You should also be under warranty, so it should just be annoying that this happened.
Love this response. Agreed, overreaction.

Only reason I opened the coolant cap because I was (improperly) advised by my client who’s father ran the largest supplier of heating components for high end exotics. He suggested I look at the coolant levels. I was very careful with it, and once I cracked the cap and saw steam coming out I let it air out. But still, stupid.

I just got a call from the dealer. Their conclusion was that my coolant cap went bad... I find this hard to believe but will monitor it. If it happens again, it’s likely one of the options you mentioned above.

Also, mine is a 2017, so I’m out of warranty as of July last year. Which is why I was having a bit of additional concern when the dealer calls me and says they are running a compression test on the engine.

Last edited by tthebert908; 04-22-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 01:16 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tthebert908
Love this response. Agreed, overreaction.

Only reason I opened the coolant cap because I was (improperly) advised by my client who’s father ran the largest supplier of heating components for high end exotics. He suggested I look at the coolant levels. I was very careful with it, and once I cracked the cap and saw steam coming out I let it air out. But still, stupid.

I just got a call from the dealer. Their conclusion was that my coolant cap went bad... I find this hard to believe but will monitor it. If it happens again, it’s likely one of the options you mentioned above.

Also, mine is a 2017, so I’m out of warranty as of July last year. Which is why I was having a bit of additional concern when the dealer calls me and says they are running a compression test on the engine.
We all can get a little crazy when the car does something stupid.

Yes, it CAN be the cap, but I would keep an eye on it, and carry some spare water for a while just in case.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:35 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 590 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Just took mine to the dealer at the same mileage 2017 4S. Have been watching a leak since ~3K miles, but it has been very very slow; pink residue, and an occasional hanging drop. Never anything conclusive on the ground.

Have since bought a few water pump and bench testing the seals and vacuum capabilities, as well as dyno testing the functionality of the engine's vacuum control of the pump. Will be posting some data soon.
Thanks for putting in the time and research!
Old 04-24-2021, 03:40 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have a late build 2019 (it was my dealer's last 991.2 allocation AFAIK). I want to do a mild tune on it but this issue has held me back with 2 years left on warranty (and I don't believe APR pro-rates their warranty tune). I ask them to check this every time it's in. I had it in a few months ago for a frunk latch recall and they put it up on the lift for me to show all was well (they have been great to deal with). The tech shined his flashlight up to the side of the water pump and said "you even have the upgraded xxxxxx" (I missed what he said). So, I'm hoping this one holds up.
Good luck getting your repair and please post final verdict...
Just wishing out loud, but it sure would be useful if there was a way to get under the car and figure out what Water Pump model/version/release is on one's car using a flashlight.

I am almost two years into ownership on my '17 C2, bought as CPO from the first owner at a dealership. So my OEM warranty runs out in August, but I have two years till '23 on the car but still. There are a couple unexplained service visits on the Carfax that may or may not be a WP recall service. For sure "at the moment" there's no pink on the floor, and I check the water level religiously cold once a month.

OP - good luck with your car. Hope it is fixed soon.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:05 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 588 Likes on 301 Posts

To catch a leak before full failure you need to look on that left side pipe area as opposed to on the ground. It's likely to drip on those adjacent parts before being enough to reach the ground. I would assume almost all 17, 18's, and probably many 19's will experience the failure. It shouldn't involve engine issues unless someone runs the car hot. I'd be dubious that a bad cap could explain it when it's such a documented failure.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:13 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
To catch a leak before full failure you need to look on that left side pipe area as opposed to on the ground. It's likely to drip on those adjacent parts before being enough to reach the ground. I would assume almost all 17, 18's, and probably many 19's will experience the failure. It shouldn't involve engine issues unless someone runs the car hot. I'd be dubious that a bad cap could explain it when it's such a documented failure.
Hey ceepe!!!

hope all is well... (fellow ex-qwoter.. you know which one)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:04 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Just wishing out loud, but it sure would be useful if there was a way to get under the car and figure out what Water Pump model/version/release is on one's car using a flashlight.
If you look at the water pump failure thread, there doesn't seem to be any revision that solves the issue. Speaking with a local Porsche specialty guy, he tells me this issue has been around for many generations. I have a brand new latest revision pump we've been bench testing, and it does not hold very much vacuum before the seals leak
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (06-29-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 07:20 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 385 Likes on 201 Posts

If you look at the water pump failure thread, there doesn't seem to be any revision that solves the issue. Speaking with a local Porsche specialty guy, he tells me this issue has been around for many generations. I have a brand new latest revision pump we've been bench testing, and it does not hold very much vacuum before the seals leak
So basically this is gonna be a regular maintenance item of somewhere around $1200-$1500 every regular period of time from 12-36 months ...
Old 04-24-2021, 08:07 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks for the info. That doesn’t bode well.

Originally Posted by enzotcat
So basically this is gonna be a regular maintenance item of somewhere around $1200-$1500 every regular period of time from 12-36 months ...
Yikes.

I swapped out the water pumps on my E46 every 60k; they were just consumables like the thermostat and accursed expansion tank.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:25 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Suppose it’s worth a second look. Can bring it to the Indy shop here in queens just to take a look. Maybe after I run it for a few hundred miles or so in case they cleaned it up.
Old 04-24-2021, 08:35 PM
no401k
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by enzotcat
damn...,more reason to get extended warranty on this car then... was on the fence since my 981 of 6 years was pretty much trouble-free and had nothing but cheap fixes...
Old 04-24-2021, 09:42 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tthebert908
Suppose it’s worth a second look. Can bring it to the Indy shop here in queens just to take a look. Maybe after I run it for a few hundred miles or so in case they cleaned it up.
you can easily view the area just by looking under the car. No need to lift it to catch a glimpse of where they leak. Anything on that pipe in light pinkish color is a leak.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:44 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

I bet it only fails at 1-2 times for the life of the car. Part should be better as time has gone on. Maybe some of the 19's won't have the issue at all? Curious if any 2019's have had a pump go down?
Old 04-25-2021, 11:03 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 270 Posts

I don’t have any hard evidence, but taking a cursory look at the 992 forum it’s pretty clear that this still has not been resolved.

I wish I could get away with running my business this way.

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (01-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Engine Failure - 991.2 with 16k Miles