Sponsored by:

991.2 pictures of wire harness in the Frunk Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2021, 12:36 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 pictures of wire harness in the Frunk Needed

My 2017 991.2 has 3 cut wires running from the horns through the frunk. (1) Solid purple, and a purple and brown wire twisted together. A picture would be of great help, so I can splice the wires correctly. I’ve owned the car for 2 weeks and realized the horns don’t work. So I tested both and they worked. Followed the harness which enters the frunk. Pulled the carpet back and notice 3 wires cut.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:15 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Are you looking for pictures of a connector, or a specific section of the harness? A reference image would be handy. I've got a '17 C4S (different front tub than a C2) with PDLS+ (different modules/headlight housings), but wiring should be largely the same.

Failing ripping apart my own frunk for photos, would a wiring diagram help?

Also, welcome to Rennlist!
Old 04-21-2021, 01:42 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by asellus
Are you looking for pictures of a connector, or a specific section of the harness? A reference image would be handy. I've got a '17 C4S (different front tub than a C2) with PDLS+ (different modules/headlight housings), but wiring should be largely the same.

Failing ripping apart my own frunk for photos, would a wiring diagram help?

Also, welcome to Rennlist!

Thank You! So it’s at the frunk towards the bumper as the wires come through the grommet.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:50 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 222 Posts

As an aside, I just gotta know: why were these wires cut?
Old 04-21-2021, 02:10 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by OliverK68
As an aside, I just gotta know: why were these wires cut?
I have no idea :/ . I purchased the car 2 weeks ago. I know the car was backed into requiring a hood and a front bumper. Not sure if they butchered it to get the hood open or bumper off? But following the wires from the horns they go into the grommet through the frunk and out in the frunk (behind the carpet towards the front bumper. So towards your legs if you are standing in front of the car)
Old 04-21-2021, 02:10 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

it fixed the problem thats why
Old 04-21-2021, 02:30 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by barncobob
it fixed the problem thats why
butchers, man. I’m sure this is why my horns don’t work! I want to splice the wires back together but I need to know what wire is splicing back to which.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:12 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrivPorsche

Thank You! So it’s at the frunk towards the bumper as the wires come through the grommet.
Looks to me like you could just connect the loose wires together there? Or is the thick purple wire not obvious for a destination?

I imagine the harness in my frunk is fully taped up, unlike that one, but I can see if I can find some time to disassemble my frunk. I assume the carpet comes off easily enough.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:34 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Looks to me like you could just connect the loose wires together there? Or is the thick purple wire not obvious for a destination?

I imagine the harness in my frunk is fully taped up, unlike that one, but I can see if I can find some time to disassemble my frunk. I assume the carpet comes off easily enough.

Circled in red are (2) purple wires that looks to be 2 leads of 1 wire from factory. The cut ends(not circled) are the larger purple wire which is the same size as the 2 in the circle, and then there are the smaller purple and brown wires that are twisted together. I’m thinking larger purple goes to one of the circled purple. Then brown and purple goes to the other purple that is circled. It may be that simple as I believe these are for both horns??
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My guess: Driver of your car rear ended someone. There was an electrical short and they cut the wires because they couldn't get the horns to stop. Be prepared to have the horns blaring when you connect the wires.

When was the damage repaired relative to you buying it?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by Carl Over
My guess: Driver of your car rear ended someone. There was an electrical short and they cut the wires because they couldn't get the horns to stop. Be prepared to have the horns blaring when you connect the wires.

When was the damage repaired relative to you buying it?
damaged occurred 1 year ago. I bought the car 2 weeks ago :/... hope that is not the case. The hood took the most damage so maybe they couldn’t get the frunk open. The original bumper didn’t have much damage. I’m looking for a picture to see where the (1) brown and (1) Purple twisted together connects to as well as the single purple wire gets connected to.

Last edited by TrivPorsche; 04-21-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:07 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

carpet should just pulled aside from the bottom. It will be that carpet closest to your legs/opposite the windshield.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:15 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not terribly willing to tear apart my loom, but spreading the visible wires within it I don't have a twisted pair with the same colours as your severed pair, there.

I have an unterminated, clean white wire you can see in the foreground. No idea what that is. I don't have adaptive cruise control optioned on this car, might be related.

Photo below is looking downward and towards the driver front wheel area, kind of at a 45 degree angle. Front of the car is to the right.

Your harness is hacked up and laying down the front wall. Mine clipped to the exposed bolt looking deal at the top right with the big black connector looking cable tie a few inches from the grommet. This causes the cable to run rightward, then downward towards the modules pictured.

At the base of the frunk, in the corner where the wiring kind of takes a right angle, the wiring harness gets a bit chunky. Usually that means tees.

In your photo, you have a thick, singled out purple wire that has a lot of cloth tape on it separate from the main loom. Mine is not this way.

You also have a twisted pair I cannot find when manipulating my wires. In your picture it looks like violet/orange and brown/white. Can you confirm these colours?

This is largely identical to what I sent you privately:

Old 04-24-2021, 10:11 AM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

I'm not terribly willing to tear apart my loom, but spreading the visible wires within it I don't have a twisted pair with the same colours as your severed pair, there.

I have an unterminated, clean white wire you can see in the foreground. No idea what that is. I don't have adaptive cruise control optioned on this car, might be related.

Photo below is looking downward and towards the driver front wheel area, kind of at a 45 degree angle. Front of the car is to the right.

Your harness is hacked up and laying down the front wall. Mine clipped to the exposed bolt looking deal at the top right with the big black connector looking cable tie a few inches from the grommet. This causes the cable to run rightward, then downward towards the modules pictured.

At the base of the frunk, in the corner where the wiring kind of takes a right angle, the wiring harness gets a bit chunky. Usually that means tees.

In your photo, you have a thick, singled out purple wire that has a lot of cloth tape on it separate from the main loom. Mine is not this way.

You also have a twisted pair I cannot find when manipulating my wires. In your picture it looks like violet/orange and brown/white. Can you confirm these colours?

This is largely identical to what I sent you privately:
Thanks so much for this extra work I’ve put you through. So my wires were cut where yours gets “thicker”/ zip tied with clip to hood the harness. So the larger purple cut wires goes to large purple. But this is teed from the factory? Where is the open purple wire going from (2nd lead coming from the car of the same purple wire) the other 2 wires are indeed violet and brown and a white and brown. There is a white and brown connected already not sure if this should be teed. So that leaves the (1) violet and brown wire. And the 2nd lead purple wire from the car connects to?

Last edited by TrivPorsche; 04-24-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:43 PM
TrivPorsche
AutoX

Main issue is I don’ see where the (1) violet and brown wire connects too. I also see The larger purple closer to the car is 2 wires into 1, coming from the car is also 1 wire with 2 leads coming 1. Maybe they were trying to repair it? I can connect all the the the larger purple/violet into one. I tried reconnecting the purple wire to only one purple lead and leaving the other hand of and this causes a continuous horn. Maybe I just need to hook all 3 together? The brown and white wire that is also cut has a brown and white white I can splice into but there is already a white and brown wire connected together so idk? If you can tell me that the larger purple does not have two leads at both ends maybe whoever cut the wires were trying to fix there butchering. Also if you can follow the violet and brown wire and see what that connects and lastly is there a 3 way brown and white connections?

Quick Reply: 991.2 pictures of wire harness in the Frunk Needed