Sponsored by:

PPF and/or Ceramic Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 07:50 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
3.5 years and 30K miles in and I have driven my car like I stole it. I put tires on the roof, in my back seat, and hammer it the best I can on the track. PPF in front of the rear wheels, at the front of my car and in a few areas where folks decided to drop something on my car, is really beat up. Below is almost perfect paint so I can replace the PPF and have essentially a brand new looking car. PPF gives me the freedom to care a little less but still keep the ride beautiful. May replace with stealth PPF so I have a new look.

It is just a piece of mind thing for me. It does not crinkle like my Grandma's sofa, so it is not exactly the same. I miss Grandma...
Your Granny would have PPF'd hers too.
The following users liked this post:
PAPorscheGuy (04-20-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:24 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Have the 911 ceramic coated all over. The M3 cannot have PPF over ceramic coating. The coating is so slick, the PPF won't adhere properly.

BTW, very nice 911.
Thanks and thanks!
Old 04-17-2021, 11:48 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,566 Likes on 869 Posts

Like most people on here, had the paint corrected, did a full front xpel paint protection film (full hood, full front fenders and bumper). Also have them do the xpel clear bra on the side skirts and entire rear wheel arch.

once the xpel ppf was on, they ceramic coated the whole car, brake calipers and wheels.

I’ve had porsches before that I didn’t go through all of this with, and it really just gives you a lot of peace of mind when driving. I feel more comfortable doing more with it, and the xpel has certainly saved me a lot of paint chips. I have a few rock chips on the xpel, but at the end of every season you can either take it into the shop and have them heat up the ppf to repair it or if you feel comfortable, DIY. They are usually self healing clear bras and can be fixed easily if you get minor scratches or damage.
PAPorscheGuy (04-18-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

the original owner of my 2013 C2S had the entire car PPF'd when new. didn't take deliver until it was applied. I purchased it last summer (am the 2nd owner) and was amazed at how good it still looked. being 8 years old, it obviously wasn't perfect but still very impressive clarity/shine/adhesion. even the engine lid slats/exposed to all that heat still look great. would have to assume the paint underneath is in fact near perfect too?...which has me thinking just remove the film if/when it starts looking ratty?. still has lots of life left so i'll worry about that when it happens

judging from the cost to get it done right ($5k in 2013), highly doubt i'd ever pay that much to have it done. Ceramic would be my choice but primarily for cost/value. fraction of the cost and works well too if applied properly. but if you have the loot to burn, a pro PPF application would be awesome imho.

Last edited by Levy; 04-17-2021 at 11:46 PM.
PAPorscheGuy (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:43 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 126 Posts

I had the same experience with my 2014 991.1 C2S purchased last June. The PO had the front half of the fenders and hood, along with the front end, completed years ago. I got the car with 36K and the front looked in very good shape for a 6 year old car that was driven. I took it to Appearance Solutions in Sacramento and Mike and histeam did an awesome job of removing the old, paint correcting the entire car and then installed the full front end end, doors, rear hips and behind the rear wheels. Then applied ceramic coating to the complete car. The car looked brand new! Here we are 8K miles of hard driving later and it looks like the day I picked it up. Well worth the $$ as I have never owned a car worthy of such a spa treatment. The PPF is what is going to keep your car looking good over the long haul.
Good Luck,
The following 2 users liked this post by tmarino:
PAPorscheGuy (04-18-2021), Wrtflyr (04-18-2021)
Old 04-18-2021, 04:11 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Levy
the original owner of my 2013 C2S had the entire car PPF'd when new. didn't take deliver until it was applied. I purchased it last summer (am the 2nd owner) and was amazed at how good it still looked. being 8 years old, it obviously wasn't perfect but still very impressive clarity/shine/adhesion. even the engine lid slats/exposed to all that heat still look great. would have to assume the paint underneath is in fact near perfect too?...which has me thinking just remove the film if/when it starts looking ratty?. still has lots of life left so i'll worry about that when it happens

judging from the cost to get it done right ($5k in 2013), highly doubt i'd ever pay that much to have it done. Ceramic would be my choice but primarily for cost/value. fraction of the cost and works well too if applied properly. but if you have the loot to burn, a pro PPF application would be awesome imho.
The film can get very difficult to remove if left on too long. It can get brittle. If yours is a 2013, I would think it's at the end of its' life and you may want to consider replacing that, sorry to say.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:12 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 309 Posts

Agree with the previous post.
And the new PPF films are far better than what your '13 has on it. The PPF I put on my present 911 in 2018 is so much better than what was on my previous 2015 911. No wavyness, harder exterior suffrage, and really beads up water on it. Can't tell the difference between PPF canned and bare paint on this one. It was easy to see where the PPF wason my 2015 911. And the old films also yellow from UV exposure.
If going to keep that 911 for a while, I'd replace the the PPF.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:14 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

while i have done Ceramic over my ppf, i have come to realize that the ceramic does hinder the self healing capabilities of the film itself. Worth considering
Old 04-20-2021, 05:25 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by K C
while i have done Ceramic over my ppf, i have come to realize that the ceramic does hinder the self healing capabilities of the film itself. Worth considering
Interesting point. If I do choose to ceramic coat, any suggestions on brand or shop? I live north of Philadelphia, across the river from NJ. Menards did my M3 with CarPro, but I’m open to Porsche owner preferences.

Last edited by PAPorscheGuy; 04-26-2021 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:50 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 453 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by PAPorscheGuy
Interesting point. If I do chose to ceramic coat, any suggestions on brand or shop? I live north of Philadelphia, across the river from NJ. Menards did my M3 with CarPro, but I’m open to Porsche owner preferences.
I had mind done with Ceramic Pro three years ago and it still impresses.
I could recommend a couple of installers local to me but I think I'm probably ~two hours from you. Suggest you ask members of PCA for recommendations in your area.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:21 PM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBH
I had mind done with Ceramic Pro three years ago and it still impresses.
I could recommend a couple of installers local to me but I think I'm probably ~two hours from you. Suggest you ask members of PCA for recommendations in your area.
Thanks. Great idea. Will do. There is a ceramic pro near. My M3 was CarPro.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:39 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 132 Posts

I did PPF and ceramic three years ago. I had a car show scheduled today so I took the beast to the original installer for a refresh. After he washed it he said there was no need for a refresh. Ceramic still holding up. $150 for a detail and the car looks like new. That's 3 years no polish/wax. I use Reload every few months. Unfortunately, the car show was rained out.
PAPorscheGuy (04-26-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 10:18 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
The film can get very difficult to remove if left on too long. It can get brittle. If yours is a 2013, I would think it's at the end of its' life and you may want to consider replacing that, sorry to say.
no doubt 8 years is a long time and i'm sure a new PPF wrap would look better/fantastic. that being said, i'll have it removed when the time comes and go with just a nice ceramic coat from there. still looks remarkably good so i'll wait till it doesn't "look good" to remove it. did talk to a shop that said it can be difficult to remove old film but still very doable with a little extra time/attention. it's a daily driver so trying to keep a like new appearance isn't what i'm looking to achieve. it's very likely i'll be trading up in the next few years so spending that kind of money for a new PPF application doesn't make much sense to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Levy:
PAPorscheGuy (04-26-2021), SConn (04-24-2021)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:58 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

PPF for protection Ceramic for gloss. Did PPF over 3/4 of the car and CQUARTZ over all of it 2 years ago. Still looks great.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:44 PM
Topaz32
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Worth the $$$$ . Car stays clean and is protected

Quick Reply: PPF and/or Ceramic Coat?