Sponsored by:

Anyone care to name that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 06:58 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Anyone care to name that noise?

Started on my way home after a spirited drive. I was in Sport mode, switching to another mode didn’t seem to alter/erase the noise.

Noise is definitely coming from the smaller box on the left (towards the center of the vehicle).

I’m going to try and get the dealership involved here in a moment (since it’s under warranything), but figured I’d check here to see if you guys new what the noise was and if there was a quick fix I could do.

thanks!!

991.2 Turbo

link to video I uploaded to YouTube:

Last edited by NachoRunner601; 04-12-2021 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Trying to add a hyperlink
Old 04-12-2021, 07:10 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
Started on my way home after a spirited drive. I was in Sport mode, switching to another mode didn’t seem to alter/erase the noise.

Noise is definitely coming from the smaller box on the left (towards the center of the vehicle).

I’m going to try and get the dealership involved here in a moment (since it’s under warranything), but figured I’d check here to see if you guys new what the noise was and if there was a quick fix I could do.

thanks!!

991.2 Turbo

link to video I uploaded to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4nd...annel=fwa54321
If it is coming from the front of the car, look in the front part of the wheel well (will have to turn the wheel/get a flash light) - there is a fan there. Is something lodged in there that is hitting the fan?
The following users liked this post:
NachoRunner601 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wujohn
If it is coming from the front of the car, look in the front part of the wheel well (will have to turn the wheel/get a flash light) - there is a fan there. Is something lodged in there that is hitting the fan?
thanks for the quick reply.

It’s coming from the front, drivers side of the vehicle. I checked out what you said and it’s 100% the fan, but there is nothing in there I can see hitting/blocking the fan. When I turned off the car it slowed down and kept making the noise albeit slower and slower ... almost like the fan motor or belt has an issue?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NachoRunner601
thanks for the quick reply.

It’s coming from the front, drivers side of the vehicle. I checked out what you said and it’s 100% the fan, but there is nothing in there I can see hitting/blocking the fan. When I turned off the car it slowed down and kept making the noise albeit slower and slower ... almost like the fan motor or belt has an issue?
That plastic liner comes off pretty easy if you want to open it up to take a look. Check out this bumper removal thread for instructions.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1023...tallation.html
Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

That plastic liner comes off pretty easy if you want to open it up to take a look. Check out this bumper removal thread for instructions.

great find! Thanks Wujohn!

just spoke to my dealer - they said “it sounds like the radiator fan” (you were right wujohn) “those will stick from time to time, bring it in tomorrow and we’ll look it over”
Old 04-12-2021, 07:52 PM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

In case you’re keeping score - the noise is actually able to be controlled by the a/c being turned on or off.

A/c on and noise is present.

A/c off and the noise goes away.

A/c Max and the noise comes on strong.

However...a/c Max AND sport mode - the car sounds like it’s about to take off the noise gets so loud.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:28 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

There's very little clearance between the fan blades and the shroud, also the fender liner grille openings for the fan exhaust are louvered, with wide spaces between the slats.

The sticky tires will readily pick up road gravel and bounce it all over the fender well and some will end up caught in the shroud.

The amount of stuck road gravel I have removed just millimeters from the fan blades and stuck in the shroud was significant. Removing this accumulation has to be part of regular maintenance.

As above, its relatively easy to jack up the car, remove the wheel and plastic liner to get at the back of the fan.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM
NachoRunner601
Advanced

Originally Posted by BSO
There's very little clearance between the fan blades and the shroud, also the fender liner grille openings for the fan exhaust are louvered, with wide spaces between the slats.

The sticky tires will readily pick up road gravel and bounce it all over the fender well and some will end up caught in the shroud.

The amount of stuck road gravel I have removed just millimeters from the fan blades and stuck in the shroud was significant. Removing this accumulation has to be part of regular maintenance.

As above, its relatively easy to jack up the car, remove the wheel and plastic liner to get at the back of the fan.
at the dealership now and that’s 100% what has happened.

the tires threw a bunch of rock into and around the fan assembly causing the noise. They are removing it for me now however it will be something I keep up with in the future.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone care to name that noise?