Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel weight glue - how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 12:42 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Wheel weight glue - how to remove?

I’m about to get new tires on my 991.1 and was wondering how to get rid of any remaining glue left on the wheels from where the old wheel weights once were. I have seen on the wheels of some cars unsightly patches of left over glue that was not cleaned off when the wheels were rebalanced. I assume the tech will properly clean the gunk off my wheels himself when the tires are off and he removes the original weights, and I’m going to ask my SA to be sure he does. But just in case, I thought I’d ask for some advice from the forum on what product I should use to do the job I’m expecting the dealer will not do. My first thought is Goo Gone, but I’m concerned that might harm the finish of the wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Apologies if this question has been addressed before. I searched the forum for this topic but didn’t find a relevant thread.)
Old 03-26-2021, 01:25 AM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

goo gone has an automotive version, but you might have to apply heat to loosen hardened glue that has been on a wheel for years, might have to use a medium abrasive polish once the glue is removed?
Old 03-26-2021, 01:41 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Never mind! Just found a relevant thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9455...e-removal.html.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:47 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I’m about to get new tires on my 991.1 and was wondering how to get rid of any remaining glue left on the wheels from where the old wheel weights once were. I have seen on the wheels of some cars unsightly patches of left over glue that was not cleaned off when the wheels were rebalanced. I assume the tech will properly clean the gunk off my wheels himself when the tires are off and he removes the original weights, and I’m going to ask my SA to be sure he does. But just in case, I thought I’d ask for some advice from the forum on what product I should use to do the job I’m expecting the dealer will not do. My first thought is Goo Gone, but I’m concerned that might harm the finish of the wheel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (Apologies if this question has been addressed before. I searched the forum for this topic but didn’t find a relevant thread.)

used 3M adhesive remover. Got it at a body shop. It is made to use on paint
The following 2 users liked this post by F355bob:
AdamSanta85 (03-26-2021), SConn (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:12 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by F355bob
used 3M adhesive remover. Got it at a body shop. It is made to use on paint
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 267 Posts

I used Goo Gone on mine. I was in no rush, so I let it soak overnight and it came off with the wipe of a paper towel the next morning.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil Flo Safety Cleaner

Oil Flo Safety Cleaner works incredibly well for this.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-26-2021, 05:48 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Matrog
Oil Flo Safety Cleaner works incredibly well for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Safety-.../dp/B0009KKSX0
That stuff is new to me and looks fantastic. Definitely ordering some. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:39 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Well, here’s a shocker. I had my car’s tires replaced today by my dealer and the tech cleaned off all the old wheel weight glue before remounting and rebalancing. Unexpected and nice!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:06 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
Well, here’s a shocker. I had my car’s tires replaced today by my dealer and the tech cleaned off all the old wheel weight glue before remounting and rebalancing. Unexpected and nice!
thats a first, i always take my own wheels off at home, do all that stuff and take them to tire guy..im finding most tire monkeys have no idea what the red-yellow dots mean,,I always talk to guy balancing and explain it to him
Old 03-30-2021, 11:53 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by barncobob
... no idea what the red-yellow dots mean,,
Tell me more barncobob. I’m going in for tires tomorrow.

DaveGee
Old 03-30-2021, 11:59 AM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Tell me more barncobob. I’m going in for tires tomorrow.

DaveGee
Indexing marks, essentially.

Originally Posted by Yokohama Tire

Uniformity Method (Red Mark)

When performing uniformity match-mounting, the red mark on the tire, indicating the point of maximum radial force variation, should be aligned with the wheel assembly's point of minimum radial run-out, which is generally indicated by a colored dot or a notch somewhere on the wheel assembly (consult manufacturer for details). Radial force variation is the fluctuation in the force that appears in the rotating axis of a tire when a specific load is applied and the tire rotated at a specific speed. It is necessary to minimize radial force variation to ensure trouble-free installation and operation. Not all wheel assemblies indicate the point of minimum radial run-out, rendering uniformity match-mounting sometimes impossible. If the point of minimum radial run-out is not indicated on a wheel assembly, the weight method of match-mounting should be used.

Weight Method (Yellow Mark)

When performing weight match-mounting, the yellow mark on the tire, indicating the point of lightest weight, should be aligned with the valve stem on the wheel assembly, which represents the heaviest weight point of the wheel assembly. After match-mounting by either of the above methods, the tire/wheel assembly can be balanced.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:40 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

red dot across from valve stem
or yellow dot across from valve stem

or red and yellow dot red dot takes priority
no dot any which way
Old 03-30-2021, 11:01 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by barncobob
red dot across from valve stem
or yellow dot across from valve stem

or red and yellow dot red dot takes priority
no dot any which way
There are no red/yellow dots on my new Michelin PS4S. I understand not all tires have them, and assume the PS4S don’t. But given their high level of performance, I wonder why not. No matter, though. The tires are fantastic and balanced by my dealer’s shop more than well enough for the off-track speeds I tend to drive.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:48 AM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

they may have been perfect..no dots needed

Quick Reply: Wheel weight glue - how to remove?