Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review (Another)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 11:01 PM
bchamber1
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review (Another)

Hi all,
Just installed Numeric's short shifter for my 2013 911C2S (911.1). Several other reviews and great install guides already out there so just posting some quick feedback and install tips from my experience. So far in my short test drive very nice upgrade and feels more solid, direct, and has noticeably shorter throws. Here are some of my install recommendations and feedback:
  • I have the 2mm (stiffer) spring and it is great. Slightly stiffer than stock but by no means difficult. All personal preference but I would recommend if you're doing this upgrade for an improvement in driver engagement then get the 2mm spring
  • Measurements from the tip of the shift console to the shaft with the trim on - not sure how helpful these are but about an inch shorter throw as I measured
    • OE:
      • Shaft Length (no shift ****): 101.5mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 3rd gear: 52mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 4th gear: 85mm
    • Numeric:
      • Shaft Length (no shift ****): 84mm (adjustable but I put mine maybe 2/3 way down to lowest setting)
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 3rd gear: 46mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 4th gear: 65mm
  • Install tips:
    • I recommend using nylon trim removal tools. Numeric's video just shows you pulling everything off but they are on pretty tight and also this allows you to finesse the removal and get near the actual clips to minimize chances of breaking them.
    • I used some teflon tape on the threads of the shaft to help prevent any future loosing due to vibration (haven't heard this but this made it nice and smooth/taught as I tightened it down). Also you'll need a 19mm wrench to tighten the shaft to the desired height.
    • I had 2 zip ties holding my wires to the stock shifter (one in front and one in rear) that I had to remove that were not in the install guide or videos. No place for the front zip tie and not needed. For the back one, I zip tied the wire harness around the base with no issues (note this is just for holding in place but doesn't seem 100% necessary). See pic for info.
    • Upon completing the trip - I had a hard time getting the shift boot to seat properly and note that the 6 screws for the trim have some ability to raise/lower a bit so I had to remove and push up just slightly as I tightened them down in order for the shift boot to fit flush. See last pic for how it looked before I fixed.

Last edited by bchamber1; 03-22-2021 at 10:12 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bchamber1:
cchan90 (03-22-2021), fnckr (03-23-2021), IRunalot (05-30-2024), The Ox (03-22-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:58 PM
GONEIN10
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the detailed tips and tricks, not everyone will take the time to help others make things easier.
Old 05-29-2024, 05:29 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by bchamber1
Hi all,
Just installed Numeric's short shifter for my 2013 911C2S (911.1). Several other reviews and great install guides already out there so just posting some quick feedback and install tips from my experience. So far in my short test drive very nice upgrade and feels more solid, direct, and has noticeably shorter throws. Here are some of my install recommendations and feedback:
  • I have the 2mm (stiffer) spring and it is great. Slightly stiffer than stock but by no means difficult. All personal preference but I would recommend if you're doing this upgrade for an improvement in driver engagement then get the 2mm spring
  • Measurements from the tip of the shift console to the shaft with the trim on - not sure how helpful these are but about an inch shorter throw as I measured
    • OE:
      • Shaft Length (no shift ****): 101.5mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 3rd gear: 52mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 4th gear: 85mm
    • Numeric:
      • Shaft Length (no shift ****): 84mm (adjustable but I put mine maybe 2/3 way down to lowest setting)
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 3rd gear: 46mm
      • Distance from front of console trip to shaft in 4th gear: 65mm
  • Install tips:
    • I recommend using nylon trim removal tools. Numeric's video just shows you pulling everything off but they are on pretty tight and also this allows you to finesse the removal and get near the actual clips to minimize chances of breaking them.
    • I used some teflon tape on the threads of the shaft to help prevent any future loosing due to vibration (haven't heard this but this made it nice and smooth/taught as I tightened it down). Also you'll need a 19mm wrench to tighten the shaft to the desired height.
    • I had 2 zip ties holding my wires to the stock shifter (one in front and one in rear) that I had to remove that were not in the install guide or videos. No place for the front zip tie and not needed. For the back one, I zip tied the wire harness around the base with no issues (note this is just for holding in place but doesn't seem 100% necessary). See pic for info.
    • Upon completing the trip - I had a hard time getting the shift boot to seat properly and note that the 6 screws for the trim have some ability to raise/lower a bit so I had to remove and push up just slightly as I tightened them down in order for the shift boot to fit flush. See last pic for how it looked before I fixed.

THANK YOU for the shifter boot trick, I almost was going to cut up my center console LOL

Quick Reply: Numeric Racing Short Shifter Review (Another)