Sponsored by:

CarPlay Kit Install - CarPlay Retrofits

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 10:08 AM
TeamHog
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CarPlay Kit Install - CarPlay Retrofits

Just wanted to post some notes from my AppleCar Play / PCM re-install.
I apologize up front for not taking pictures or videos.

I purchased the CarPlay unit from Chris Giuffre @ https://carplayretrofits.com
He was very helpful.

I’m an engineer and have worked on electronics for decades.
Having said that, ribbing cables & I don’t get along.
Chris provides an optional kit install, so I took advantage of that.
Shipped him the unit; he got it installed correctly and he shipped it back.
I had it all installed but kept getting a ribbon cable to un-seat as I was putting it back together.
He’s quick and thorough and saved me a bunch of time and hassle.

The PCM removal is straight forward.
There’s tons of videos that can show you how to do that.

Once you you’re ready to remove it you’ll need to place to move the shifter away from the PCM.
You then need angle the PCM up and then out to get to the connectors in the rear of the PCM.
I found holding the PCM and removing the connectors requires an additional hand.

I constructed a box slightly higher than the gear shift with a hole large enough to move the it between Park & Drive.
This allowed me to sit the PCM on top of it and then the connectors were easier to connect/disconnect.

I taped the antennas to the top of the PCM.
This kept them secured and out of the way of getting pinched or damaged.

My biggest hurdle in the entire re-install process was getting the PCM fully seated.
When you connect all the cables/wires make sure they are routed to allow more room for the PCM to move out. I
did this by removing the fiber cables from the original bundle. It simply required removing some of the friction tape.

I then added some friction tape to some of the bundles simply to keep them together to make it easier to route them to the lower right corner of the PCM slot.

If you need to you can remove the kick plates on each side of the console. This will give you some more room to maneuver the cables/wires to ensure they are out of the way.
I also made sure to route the 3 connectors on the left-side of the PCM (tan, blue, & black; each of mine had a tab of pink on them). These route to the left lower side of the PCM slot.

The original block connector should be routed to the open space on the lower right side of the PCM slot.

Placing the PCM back into the slot.
So, lift it, remove the box, and then angle it back into the slot; the feed it towards the front of the car. Then I pulled it out slightly and was able to get my hand into gap at the top and sort the cable/wire bundles according to where they needed to go.
Pink dot cables to the lower left; The big block into that gap at the lower right; and the others in that same area.

Once I did this, I was able to push the PCM forward and it slid into place.
If you don't get it just keep sorting the cables out.
If you have to pull the PCM out a bit and shine a flashlight into the area to look down in there and see what's holding it up.
Look in there and see if anything is binding up.
It took me quite a bit of time to get it all 'mapped out' such that the stuff can flow back into place as you move the PCM into position.

I routed the new USB cable, and the backup camera wires to the area behind the PCM (you can only find this if you take the kick panel out).
I haven’t decided where/how this final spot will be.
I didn’t like the idea of haven’t in the glove box.

I installed Rennline's Magnetic Phone Mounts while I was putting it back together, so I don’t need a lot of cable.
I’ve thought about removing the 12v port on that kick panel and putting the usb port there. It would look factory.
I’ve got time.

The CarPlay will come in handy real soon. I’m leaving on a ~4000 mile r/t journey to the Disc Golf Master’s World Championships in Emporia, KS.

One of my goals is to get a lap through all 48 lower states in this car.
So far, I’m at 13; this trip will add 8 more on the way out and I’m going to try to get 5 more on the way back.
That would put me at 26/48.
I love putting miles on this car.
The following 2 users liked this post by TeamHog:
Ahmad310 (05-27-2024), carlosluis32 (05-27-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:19 PM
c615586
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi There--

You may want to post these observations on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...r-991-1-a.html

It dates back 6 years and we've gone through several iterations of PCM CarPlay and, now, full PCM replacements.