991 slow upshift at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 07:40 PM
Edward.song
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 slow upshift at low RPMs

Dear all,

I hope you’re doing well! I have a technical question regarding an issue I have noticed when driving in manual mode (pdk-s transmission). I noticed that the upshifts are not as quick as what is suggested in the lower rpm (under around 3-4K) range and noticeably slower compared to the down shifts which are “instant” regardless of the rpm. As I lack comparison, I was hoping to know what you guys think and whether if you have experienced similar circumstances? The car is not in pdk-sport mode, however I believe that pdk sport mode does not influence the shifts when in manual mode. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:07 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

Just drive the car harder and faster. 😜

Can you clarify what you mean by slower? You can shoot a video.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:15 PM
Edward.song
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jack F
Just drive the car harder and faster. 😜

Can you clarify what you mean by slower? You can shoot a video.
Thanks for the feedback. What I mean is that the lag between pressing the paddle and the car upshifting (under 3.5k rpm) takes noticeably longer than what it takes the car to downshift under the same circumstances (which is pretty much “instant”)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:04 PM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Are you in normal manual mode? There is a PDK reset that might help.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:05 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,203 Posts

The time between commanded shift (that is, when you hit the paddle or lever) and initiation of a shift should be near-instant once everything is up at operating temperatures.

The time between initiated shift (that is, when the car STARTS to shift) and completed shift is affected by multiple things, including but not limited to throttle input, RPMs, drive mode (normal/sport/sport+ get progressively faster), and fluid temperatures.

Make sure you're at full operating temperature and see if the problem persists. If it does, give it more beans. If you still have issue with it, speak with your dealer or as suggested above, take a video.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:07 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 271 Posts

It depends on if you are actively accelerating or just cruising.

The car will try and guess what gear you want.

If you are cruising along (in 4th gear), it tends to think you are more likely to down shift (into 3rd gear), and it will have 3rd gear ready. If you request a higher gear (an upshift into 5th) it will be delayed.

If you are accelerating in 4th gear, or starting to accelerate it will switch the ready gear (3rd gear) from a downshift to the higher gear (5th gear), and the gear change will be much quicker when you select 5th gear.

I am sure there are many variables in this calculation such as braking force, G-forces, lateral forces, steering input, wheel slip etc.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:09 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 502 Posts

I agree based on my experience. If driving in the neighborhood at 20 mph as I leave the house, the car will not shift anywhere near as quickly as when the car it warmed up and I’m driving it harder. But what does slow mean. Shoot a big vid and let us see.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,007 Likes on 4,863 Posts

normal
Old 03-22-2021, 12:20 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 270 Posts

Drive a manual. Dictate what gear you are in. And I am having fun. The pdk is an amazing transmission....

Last edited by 737gdog; 03-22-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:21 AM
gt9
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how slow are we talking...

if you aren’t putting enough power through it has to transition clutches a little more slowly to maintain smoothness

As others have mentioned upshifting while cruising or slowing down is always going to be slower in a dual clutch transmission
Old 03-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Edward.song
Advanced

Originally Posted by asellus
The time between commanded shift (that is, when you hit the paddle or lever) and initiation of a shift should be near-instant once everything is up at operating temperatures.

The time between initiated shift (that is, when the car STARTS to shift) and completed shift is affected by multiple things, including but not limited to throttle input, RPMs, drive mode (normal/sport/sport+ get progressively faster), and fluid temperatures.

Make sure you're at full operating temperature and see if the problem persists. If it does, give it more beans. If you still have issue with it, speak with your dealer or as suggested above, take a video.
thank you very much for your feedback. The “lag” I have experienced would be in normal operating temperature with engine oil around 82C (180F) at lower RPMs (under 3.5k) without throttle input
Old 03-22-2021, 11:34 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward.song
thank you very much for your feedback. The “lag” I have experienced would be in normal operating temperature with engine oil around 82C (180F) at lower RPMs (under 3.5k) without throttle input
Operating temperature is 90 to 105c for oil.

Without throttle input and in 'normal' mode you are communicating an almost negative amount of urgency to the car, so the shift is going to be very relaxed.

Sounds like what you are describing is completely normal.

Quick Reply: 991 slow upshift at low RPMs