Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 911 becoming the new Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021 | 02:50 PM
ngamountains
Racer

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
What the OP meant to say... I own a miata and live in my moms basement but troll Porsche forums with comments about 911s and Corvettes. I call my girlfriend my wife and she makes me put that red ball thingy in my mouth all the time.
Hey now, I own a Miata, too, but that doesn’t mean I live in my mom’s basement!
The following 3 users liked this post by ngamountains:
Bud Taylor (03-07-2021), SFZ GT3 (03-06-2021), T3X4S (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021 | 06:03 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimwood
It’s totally absurd that anyone asks how many over-revs the computer has registered - what does that matter? Nothing. Zero.
its not absurd. Over revs can result in voided warranty. Why would an owner buy a 911 with significant documented over revs. Good to hear you beat on your cars. Very likely will turn away many buyers. Do with your car what you want but be open to other using their car how they want. Peace.
Old 03-06-2021 | 06:32 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jack F
its not absurd. Over revs can result in voided warranty. Why would an owner buy a 911 with significant documented over revs. Good to hear you beat on your cars. Very likely will turn away many buyers. Do with your car what you want but be open to other using their car how they want. Peace.
yes I think over revs is probably the one thing that does matter quit a bit. They don’t call it a money shift for nothing.
Old 03-06-2021 | 06:58 PM
Az5
Intermediate

I dont understand the thread so I'm just going to add my stupid comment to it. If you spend your own money on something, I don't give a **** how you enjoy it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Az5:
991.1 Guy (03-06-2021), Automobilist (03-06-2021), jimmiejam (03-07-2021), T3X4S (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021 | 08:57 PM
Automobilist
Advanced

Myself, I'm really glad I bought my used 911 from an enthusiastic, nit-picky, even prissy owner. He kept it in immaculate, as in absolutely brand new condition for me to buy at half price.
Today I took my grandson for burgers. We ate in the car and quite a few crumbs got on the seats & carpet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Automobilist:
ngamountains (03-06-2021), T3X4S (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021 | 09:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

911 is more than just driving to me. It was a life goal. It's also my form of therapy, to get into the garage, wash it, detail it, work on small projects with it. Then there's the amazing community. Both on Rennlist and in person. No matter how someone enjoys their 911, it doesn't matter to me. What matters is that you have a passion about the brand and are enthusiastic about the brand.

I happen to be incredibly particular when it comes to the condition of my cars. I still drive them, but they're not seeing year round use with Ohio winters. Not seeing long highway drives behind trucks (plus highway drives are very boring to me).

I'd enjoy driving my 911 on track I'm sure. But, that gets expensive and I simply cannot afford to do that with other life obligations. I also like to do things 100%. So if I was to track my 911, I'd have a truck, trailer, second set of wheels and tires and an incredible tool setup. For now, I'd rather sign up for a Porsche Driving day at Barber Motorsport park. Use someone else's car, rather than mine.

It's not about saving my car for the next guy. It's about taking care of it for myself so that I can continue to enjoy it for many years to come. My car will continue to get miles put on it, won't be a garage queen, but may not be used like others want me to. Some may want me to drive it way more, some may want me to drive it way less. But I'm driving it how I want to drive it and that's what matters.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Guards_Red_991 (03-07-2021), jimmiejam (03-07-2021)
Old 03-06-2021 | 09:23 PM
Automobilist
Advanced

Originally Posted by garfunkle
that's going to show up on carfax. Congrats - you now have a salvage title.
Screw 'em.... I'll probably just give it to one of my kids later anyway...
Old 03-07-2021 | 12:46 AM
WJGreer
Racer

My next door neighbor retired from Conoco oil after decades of service. He bought a Corvette because he’d always wanted one and had finally earned it.

To me that’s not much different than the path many of us took to our 911s. Someone said “life goal.” Damn right. Who cares what kind of car it is if it’s the one you wanted and you did what you needed to do to get it.
The following users liked this post:
stout (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021 | 12:53 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by WJGreer
My next door neighbor retired from Conoco oil after decades of service. He bought a Corvette because he’d always wanted one and had finally earned it.

To me that’s not much different than the path many of us took to our 911s. Someone said “life goal.” Damn right. Who cares what kind of car it is if it’s the one you wanted and you did what you needed to do to get it.
A customer of mine is a retired 55 year old man who was turned out of a Ferrari dealership. He wanted to buy a new Ferrari. They said "nope", he said "okay" and walked to the Chevrolet dealership and bought a brand new Z06. He was happier than ever and not phased one bit by what Ferrari did to him... What I do know is that he will never buy a Ferrari because of this... He's got enough cash to buy any Ferrari for sale.
Old 03-07-2021 | 08:56 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Fist, drive what you want how you want to and don’t judge others.
Second a car that generally costs in excess of $120k new usually exceeding $140k in the Carrera class and with TT and GT models in excess of $200K is not a car for the masses, but instead a car for the classes.
Third has a 996 C2S ‘01 and 2 996 TT cars. Unbelievably capable cars , fast and the model that initiated the move to water cooled. Values are now rising as most see the 996 and 997 as great value Pcars.
Lastly tracking your car is great if that is what turns you on but for those of us that don’t anymore it doesn’t mean we are now poseurs.
Lastly one more time, I have never owned a Corvette, did test them a few times years ago, not for me but I appreciate those that love them as a car passion and their reason for choice. Any sports car that improves and puts that pressure on Porsche to get better at what they do is good for Porsche owners.

Last edited by Penn4S; 03-07-2021 at 09:01 AM.
stout (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021 | 09:14 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr

I'd enjoy driving my 911 on track I'm sure. But, that gets expensive and I simply cannot afford to do that with other life obligations. I also like to do things 100%. So if I was to track my 911, I'd have a truck, trailer, second set of wheels and tires and an incredible tool setup.
It is a slippery slope to be sure.

Old 03-07-2021 | 12:14 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911dude41
A customer of mine is a retired 55 year old man who was turned out of a Ferrari dealership. He wanted to buy a new Ferrari. They said "nope", he said "okay" and walked to the Chevrolet dealership and bought a brand new Z06. He was happier than ever and not phased one bit by what Ferrari did to him... What I do know is that he will never buy a Ferrari because of this... He's got enough cash to buy any Ferrari for sale.
Then he really does not want a Ferrari and that’s OK. Buying a vette cause you couldn’t get the Ferrari you wanted? He doesn’t sound like he knows what he wants. I would say the same if someone was told they couldn’t get a new gt3 and they bought a vette. Just not in the same league. Maybe both are fast and sporty but not in the same league. Good for your friend to give them the bird. If he drove to the dealership in the new vette to give them the bird in person, they would laugh when he left. Buy what you want when you want it, but buying a second or third choice is a compromise for most of us.
911dude41 (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021 | 01:12 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
911 is more than just driving to me. It was a life goal. It's also my form of therapy, to get into the garage, wash it, detail it, work on small projects with it. Then there's the amazing community. Both on Rennlist and in person. No matter how someone enjoys their 911, it doesn't matter to me. What matters is that you have a passion about the brand and are enthusiastic about the brand.

I happen to be incredibly particular when it comes to the condition of my cars. I still drive them, but they're not seeing year round use with Ohio winters. Not seeing long highway drives behind trucks (plus highway drives are very boring to me).

I'd enjoy driving my 911 on track I'm sure. But, that gets expensive and I simply cannot afford to do that with other life obligations. I also like to do things 100%. So if I was to track my 911, I'd have a truck, trailer, second set of wheels and tires and an incredible tool setup. For now, I'd rather sign up for a Porsche Driving day at Barber Motorsport park. Use someone else's car, rather than mine.

It's not about saving my car for the next guy. It's about taking care of it for myself so that I can continue to enjoy it for many years to come. My car will continue to get miles put on it, won't be a garage queen, but may not be used like others want me to. Some may want me to drive it way more, some may want me to drive it way less. But I'm driving it how I want to drive it and that's what matters.
I agree with most of this post. Something really nice about keeping the car in "as new" condition to enjoy it as it was intended and originally constructed. I keep it for me as I do all of my cars.
Last night, I couldn't stand it any longer, even though is was bit cold for the P-Zeros, and after a two and half month slumber, took off the cover and busted out the 911. It was put away just after I snapped the avatar and looked just the same last night. So nice to get back behind the wheel.
Old 03-07-2021 | 01:22 PM
Ginzo
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Did the Ferrari people say why they would not sell him a car? I would think a car salesman in a showroom with a car available for sale would sell it to anybody if they had the means. It is possible that the car was reserved for right of first refusal to a list of known possible previous customers. I have been in the regional Ferrari dealership several times (prior to covid) and always felt welcome.
Old 03-07-2021 | 02:28 PM
SFOJAM
Instructor

I may be guilty of being a poseur within OPs definition.

- Forged rims, but ceramic coated
- GASP low dust brake pads
- (Swooning) Five figure stereo install
- Apoplectic: ventilated seats?
- Ceramic coat? PPF? THE HORROR
- Convertible??? Heresy

Professional race drivers may consider him a poseur, in a street legal car.

Likely, neither of our cars was a gift. We had to work hard to enjoy them. Let's not lose sight of the common ground.

I would still buy him a Coke after a spirited drive. It is my hope that he could look past (the blinding shine of my paint) our differences, and enjoy time well spent with a fellow enthusiast.

Quick Reply: Is the 911 becoming the new Corvette?