Sponsored by:

Steering Issue in a 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2021 | 05:53 AM
KRRM911
Track Day

Default Steering Issue in a 911

Hello guys,

first I would like to thank you for all the support that you will provide in advance.

I targeting to buy a used 991.1 and I found one car that got my attention and I do really need your advice about some issues I have noticed.

first car is 2013 base with 42k miles (Dealer maintained) almost like new from inside and out. The car is originally without PSE but the owner installed an exhaust system as well as a magnum Air Intake.

Based on the test drive, the main issue I’m worried about is the steering wheel.

When the car is at a stop, I felt that the steering wheel is hard to turn and I needed more force to turn it which is something I haven’t noticed in the previous 911 I’ve tested. However, once the car is on the move the steering is fine and blade sharp without feeling any gap or anything and there is no fault in the dash.

I don’t know if this is something normal or not. Specially that the 911 I’ve driven had a higher mileage +60K and had more issues to worry about more than the steering.

second issue is regarding two yellow faults:
1. Engine extract vent, which is I believe easy fix
2. Engine cooling system fault
the owner claims that the reason is that this fault appeared once he installed the exhaust system on the car. He claims that he installed PSE system from sun coast but didn’t install the button.

I do seek you advice and thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by KRRM911; 02-26-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2021 | 08:19 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Maybe just fluids warming up? What does "blade sharp" mean?
Old 02-26-2021 | 08:25 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

“Hard steering” at low speed is pretty subjective. Are you going to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection so someone else can drive it? What kind of tires are on the car? When was it last aligned?

What exactly do you mean, ‘yellow’ faults? Can you post a picture of exactly what warning light or message is coming up?
Old 02-26-2021 | 08:34 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

The first 991 you drove probably had Power Steering Plus. That would have made the wheel feel much easier to turn at a standstill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
desmotesta (02-26-2021), _BK (02-27-2021)
Old 02-26-2021 | 01:00 PM
VII7
Racer

For the faults, the extration fan is easy ~$150, not sure why the current owner wont just fix it.
The coolant system fault is not what is being claimed, it is likely a COV issue that requires significant disassembly to change out.
Old 02-26-2021 | 01:20 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The first 991 you drove probably had Power Steering Plus. That would have made the wheel feel much easier to turn at a standstill.
Agree with above. My 991 has that and I think it's still a little heavy at low speed, haven't driven one without.
Old 02-26-2021 | 01:34 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Get a PPI mate. No one should buy these cars without a proper PPI.
The following 4 users liked this post by Guards_Red_991:
Chris C. (02-26-2021), desmotesta (02-26-2021), Noah Fect (02-26-2021), Rich_Jenkins (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021 | 03:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VII7
The coolant system fault is not what is being claimed, it is likely a COV issue that requires significant disassembly to change out.
Eh could be the line under the car, could be a line easily visible in service mode aka bumper removed.
Old 02-26-2021 | 03:23 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
The power steering is electric, no fluids.
Old 02-26-2021 | 03:51 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

So I guess there are no moving parts all the way to the wheels.
Old 02-26-2021 | 04:23 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

This has got to be it. There is a giant difference in feel between cars which do and don't have PSP. FWIW, I really can't stand the early versions of it (it's much better on the .2 cars IMO) so I would consider a good thing if the car doesn't have it.
Old 02-26-2021 | 08:36 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

my steering felt heavy,increased the psi 5lbs and it is perfect now for me
Old 03-01-2021 | 02:16 PM
KRRM911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I mean that the steering is very very accurate and sensitive.

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
“Hard steering” at low speed is pretty subjective. Are you going to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection so someone else can drive it? What kind of tires are on the car? When was it last aligned?

What exactly do you mean, ‘yellow’ faults? Can you post a picture of exactly what warning light or message is coming up?
Yes I’m going to have a PPI but I wanted to check with you guys if I should go away even before paying for the PPI since it cost around $450.

I do believe that and I’m sure that there is a difference but I’ll check with the dealer to check the build list.

Originally Posted by VII7
For the faults, the extration fan is easy ~$150, not sure why the current owner wont just fix it.
The owner claims that it can be reseted but he kept it so the buyer will be aware of it.

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Agree with above. My 991 has that and I think it's still a little heavy at low speed, haven't driven one without.
When trying to park it’s not going to be that easy.

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
Get a PPI mate. No one should buy these cars without a proper PPI.
Will do but wanted to have your thoughts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Eh could be the line under the car, could be a line easily visible in service mode aka bumper removed.
It might be and will double check
Old 03-01-2021 | 02:25 PM
KRRM911
Track Day

Thank you guys for your help!!

UPDATE:

Ive contacted the owner and told him to check the car up in order verify the cause of the faults.

He called me back today and informed me that he sent the car to a garage where they preformed a rest and calibration and the fault are gone.

As per his claim, that after installing the Porsche Sport exhaust the car needed a rest and that was not made.

as for the fan error, he’s saying that this fault appeared because of the engine cooling fault and they are linked together, does it make sense???

WHAT I THINK and correct me if I’m wrong, I think that the PSE that was installed wasn’t installed properly since the button was not retrofitted in the mid dash and this maybe caused the problem??? But I don’t know how is this connected to the fan fault.

Quoted from Suncoast website “Professional installation and dealer activation required. Comes with the complete exhaust system and dash switch”

I knew for sure he hasn’t activated the system at the dealer nor installed the switch.

SHOULD I STAY AWAY? Even though the car is pretty clean and like new.

Last edited by KRRM911; 03-01-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2021 | 02:33 PM
VII7
Racer

From what I can gather here that does not make sense. The extration fan fault is not related to the cooling fault and is a volatile fault (Will be cleared everytime you turn off the car), most likely it's gone because the car has no needed to actuate the fan (Not hot enough). The coolant fault message is too generic to give good insight.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue in a 911