Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car purchase warning signs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021 | 01:57 PM
vartech
Racer

Default Car purchase warning signs?

I found a car on cargurus.com the car is currently in Tampa FL but titled in OH. I live in NY the seller agreed a PPI but wants to use an attorney for the transaction. Is this legit? Should I find someone to go see the car before the PPI?
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:00 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

I only bought a car sight unseen once. I had a PPI done by someone from the local car club that was near the seller.

Even then, there were issues but we were very lucky.

If you are buying from a private seller and not a dealer I would either go see the car or get someone over there
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:05 PM
vartech
Racer

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I only bought a car sight unseen once. I had a PPI done by someone from the local car club that was near the seller.

Even then, there were issues but we were very lucky.

If you are buying from a private seller and not a dealer I would either go see the car or get someone over there
i am going to try to get someone. I want the PPI done at a Porsche dealership.
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:15 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

what does a PPI at the dealer cost? and does the buyer or seller pay for it?
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:16 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vartech
i am going to try to get someone. I want the PPI done at a Porsche dealership.
I purchased a CPO car from a Porsche dealership. Everything went very smoothly.

I tried to purchase a car from a used dealership before that and had a local PPI done by a trusted third party. They found some issues and the used dealership had a Porsche dealership take a look. They said it was a non-issue. When I asked for paperwork stating there was no issue, they said they couldn't provide it.
They said it was still under the new-car warranty so it shouldn't be a problem to get it checked once I receive the car. I didn't like it, but was able to live with it.
Then the paperwork arrived (he wouldn't email it to me and it was like pulling teeth trying to get any information out of them). I saw there was an arbitration clause that was mandatory. I walked away from the deal as I'm in PA and they were in Chicago.

Buy the dealer as well. Be vigilant and be prepared to walk away from a deal.
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:32 PM
vartech
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverSFR
what does a PPI at the dealer cost? and does the buyer or seller pay for it?
buyers pay for it and around 200.00
Old 02-23-2021 | 02:41 PM
Carrera991
Racer

I'm surprised dealerships here do the PPI when the car isn't sold by them. When I purchased my car from CA the dealership said they don't do PPIs for cars they don't sell. They just didn't want to deal with the liability of a PPI.
Anyways I live in the Tampa Bay Area and my neighbor is Pedro and I know he does PPI's so if you want you can reach out to him.
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:20 PM
vartech
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera991
I'm surprised dealerships here do the PPI when the car isn't sold by them. When I purchased my car from CA the dealership said they don't do PPIs for cars they don't sell. They just didn't want to deal with the liability of a PPI.
Anyways I live in the Tampa Bay Area and my neighbor is Pedro and I know he does PPI's so if you want you can reach out to him.
how much and what does it include?
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:26 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

When I bought a used 991 a few years ago (not my current one) not from a dealer, I had one local dealer that would not do a PPI but another local dealer that would do it. So YMMV.
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:35 PM
jeffm
Racer

I'm not sure what the issue is.....does he not have the title? If he has a loan on the vehicle, and is unable to hand over the title, then I can see that being a problem.
To make both parties feel at ease, there are some escrow services you can use for these transactions.

In addition to the purchase/transfer, I would highly recommend a PPI or have someone you know see the vehicle in person. Best case would be to fly down there, have funds available and drive the car back if it checks out.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 02-23-2021 | 03:40 PM
vartech
Racer

Originally Posted by jeffm
I'm not sure what the issue is.....does he not have the title? If he has a loan on the vehicle, and is unable to hand over the title, then I can see that being a problem.
To make both parties feel at ease, there are some escrow services you can use for these transactions.

In addition to the purchase/transfer, I would highly recommend a PPI or have someone you know see the vehicle in person. Best case would be to fly down there, have funds available and drive the car back if it checks out.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
I want to have someone who knows Porsches to do PPI. But I agree regarding escrow if I provide a cashiers check from a major bank that can prove the funds why use escrow. I don’t like giving money for nothing.
Old 02-23-2021 | 04:27 PM
Carrera991
Racer

Originally Posted by vartech
how much and what does it include?
I don't know - call and ask: http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site/Technolab.html
The following users liked this post:
vartech (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021 | 05:32 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Last I looked there were tickets to FL for $27 from the NY region.
Old 02-23-2021 | 06:00 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Not being in the car biz, I figure if something starts to feel too complicated then it's not for me. PPI should be a mandate and it's courtesy for the potential buyer to cover it. You'd be surprised what a deep VIN search can turn up. I found a car I was seriously considering. I live in CA, car was at a dealer in AZ. Clean title, clean carfax, CPO, etc. By the numbers it looked good, but there was something about it that felt slightly off -- it had been there for a long time for starters. So I spent a lot of time searching the VIN and eventually found out it was in an accident. Not a big deal. Someone rear ended the driver qtr panel while it was parked. But I didn't like it. I don't think anyone was pulling any tricks with this -- maybe the dealer, who told me it had a clean history. $2 later I had the full police report. I sent the police report to the dealer and said you may want to be aware of this and walked away.
Old 02-23-2021 | 06:26 PM
Rennlist Member

The last place that should be doing a PPI is the seller... LMAO
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (02-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Car purchase warning signs?