Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

As I was plowing through 10" of snow....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 03:18 PM
Rustler
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Traction control is your enemy in the deep snow.
This is super important when driving these, or any car with modern traction control. When in deep snow or when stuck you actually want the wheels to spin... a bit. The technique is to use just a bit of slip/spin to get some friction going. Once you're up to speed you can put traction/stability control back on to keep yourself from ending up in the ditch again. With TC on the computers are doing everything they can to stop the wheels spinning, using braking and cutting power. So if none of the wheels have any grip the net effect of traction control will be, well, nothing, not movement.

I agree these cars are awesome in the snow. I drive my 996TT in the snow as much as I can, and I plan to use my 991 Carrera S through the winter as well. The only thing that would give me pause would be if I lived in a place where they used salt or mag chloride on the roads. Luckily for our car's metal, they use very little here. Unfortunately for the paint they use rocks/boulders instead.

Last edited by Rustler; 02-03-2021 at 03:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rustler:
992carreraS (02-04-2021), Gary JR (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:21 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustler
The only thing that would give me pause would be if I lived in a place where they used salt or mag chloride on the roads.
Sadly, I live in such a place, they're laying it down as we speak. That's why the 991 TTS won't see the highways in the winter snow..
Old 02-04-2021, 02:37 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for all the likes, related stories and explanations. This is what I was looking for. When I first tried going into reverse, I noticed the Traction Control light flashing; while cutting power as well. Thus, pressing the button to turn it off, and going to sport mode (not sport +), for a little more response. This is well explained in @Rusler's response, as well as @DBH . Thank you. If that had not worked, I was prepared to ask the 2 guys shoveling for a hand, for the ultimate embarrassment.

I'll be sure the next time an unexpected situation arises, where I quickly assess the situation, and come up with what I think is a first solution, that I will pause, get out of the car, and take a picture, to convince others, who might doubt an honest post. Whether it's WhaLa or Viola', I was relived to be free, and inspired to post, in the event it might help a fellow Rennlister. I mean, that is the point of this site, isn't?

@JW911 nice inquiry on the motorcycle. Another aspect of my post was for the motorcycle enthusiasts in the crowd, like myself. I specifically called out the brand, as that brand it noted for certain capabilities, especially with a side car. I am guessing the owner of that Ural, is the guy in that neighborhood who owns a couple of Royal Enfield motorcycles. Again, I should have stopped, and asked him, as well as taken a photo to prove this part of the story also happened Pre-occupation got the best of me in that moment.

So I think I have acknowledged most the the additions, comments, helpful explanations, curious inquiries and uncalled for doubts. I'll strive to do better if I decide to post an experience again. Thank you to those who found this helpful, fun or interesting.

The following users liked this post:
BSO (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:01 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by 992carreraS
Thanks for all the likes, related stories and explanations. This is what I was looking for. When I first tried going into reverse, I noticed the Traction Control light flashing; while cutting power as well. Thus, pressing the button to turn it off, and going to sport mode (not sport +), for a little more response. This is well explained in @Rusler's response, as well as @DBH . Thank you. If that had not worked, I was prepared to ask the 2 guys shoveling for a hand, for the ultimate embarrassment.

I'll be sure the next time an unexpected situation arises, where I quickly assess the situation, and come up with what I think is a first solution, that I will pause, get out of the car, and take a picture, to convince others, who might doubt an honest post. Whether it's WhaLa or Viola', I was relived to be free, and inspired to post, in the event it might help a fellow Rennlister. I mean, that is the point of this site, isn't?

@JW911 nice inquiry on the motorcycle. Another aspect of my post was for the motorcycle enthusiasts in the crowd, like myself. I specifically called out the brand, as that brand it noted for certain capabilities, especially with a side car. I am guessing the owner of that Ural, is the guy in that neighborhood who owns a couple of Royal Enfield motorcycles. Again, I should have stopped, and asked him, as well as taken a photo to prove this part of the story also happened Pre-occupation got the best of me in that moment.

So I think I have acknowledged most the the additions, comments, helpful explanations, curious inquiries and uncalled for doubts. I'll strive to do better if I decide to post an experience again. Thank you to those who found this helpful, fun or interesting.
Great sense of humor. My son and daughter live in Chicago and I have been on the roads there any number of times. My son has destroyed at least one rim on his Merc SUV and just ordered a set of winters for added safety.

It seems that cars take more "wear" in a city environment, damaged side view mirrors, bumpers and such. I would hate to drive my 911 there. "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din!"
Old 02-04-2021, 08:11 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Great sense of humor. My son and daughter live in Chicago and I have been on the roads there any number of times. My son has destroyed at least one rim on his Merc SUV and just ordered a set of winters for added safety.

It seems that cars take more "wear" in a city environment, damaged side view mirrors, bumpers and such. I would hate to drive my 911 there. "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din!"
More like smarter.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:43 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I recently took a road trip from Minneapolis to Jackson Hole, then to Palm Springs and back. I hit two snow storms.

150 miles on packed ice. 24+ cars and trucks in ditch. Next morning 8” snow on roads going between Bozeman and West Yellowstone.

Heavy snowstorm between Jackson Hole and St. George. Snow, slush and rain for 8hours.

Hit heavy snow coming back to WY.

snow to desert - great road trip.

I do believe traction control saved me on highway at about 45mph car went sideways, but I was able to straight out after a few back and forth. Did not just spin and did not just slide straight off the road.

911 are meant to drive.
The following 7 users liked this post by good2go:
992carreraS (02-04-2021), duxsi (02-08-2021), Fracture (02-04-2021), Ginzo (02-04-2021), lunderdog (02-04-2021), RobC4sX51 (02-04-2021), Sarawnty (02-04-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

I believe mine was in the garage during that period of time.

On trickle charge.

PPF and Ceramic Pro not being tested.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gary JR:
Ginzo (02-04-2021), RobC4sX51 (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:24 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I believe mine was in the garage during that period of time.

On trickle charge.

PPF and Ceramic Pro not being tested.
good thing it's protected!
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03 PM
992carreraS
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSO

Thanks for your story. True, driving in Chicago certainly allows you to experience much of the 911's capabilities, especially any AWD variant. The 991 911 is much more screwed together than the 992 I used to have. The 991 takes bumps, pot holes, and your everyday jolts with a quick thud, as opposed to lingering rattles

When I had my previous 911's, I had a Jeep Wrangler (2 Door) for the harsher months, so I could pamper my well engineered precision machine in it's climate controlled setting, and protect it's pristine trailer queen finish. But what fun is that: In went the 2018 991.2 AND the Jeep for the current 2019 C4S. Now I have fun 365. It also helps growing up near Buffalo NY, where snow accumulation is measured in yards, that I love driving in the stuff. @goodtogo certainly has it going on with their adventurous road trip. As the salesperson told me, when I bought by 2014 Cayman, Porsche wants their owners to use their cars. Thanks for the Kipling lesson. More of those situations to follow. Cheers.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:36 PM
Ginzo
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uphoto
Pics or it never happened.
Yep, we need pics for this kinda stuff.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:38 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I know this is the 911 (991) forum and I have one of those, but how’s this for getting the GT4 home in 2-3”s of snow last week? She was not “strait” in the driveway but better crooked there than in the street or left in the parking lot. She definitely plowed some snow. Full disclosure, I have 19” SottoZeros on it too.

Last edited by RobC4sX51; 02-04-2021 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ginzo (02-06-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 01:30 AM
992carreraS
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

I know this is the 911 (991) forum and I have one of those, but how’s this for getting the GT4 home in 2-3”s of snow last week? She was not “strait” in the driveway but better crooked there than in the street or left in the parking lot. She definitely plowed some snow. Full disclosure, I have 19” SottoZeros on it too.
Love it. Thanks for keeping the spirit of the thread. I had a base Cayman with 18" Sottozgeros. Handled great.

Quick Reply: As I was plowing through 10" of snow....