Sponsored by:

Infotainment Processor in 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 10:34 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Infotainment Processor in 991.2

Does anyone know if the infotainment processors are different in the 2017, 2018, or 2019 991.2?
Old 02-01-2021, 12:38 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,277 Posts

I would be shocked if there was any appreciable difference in any of the 911 versions of the PCM4.

There do appear to be several part numbers available for a given market. There isn't flagging in the parts catalogue binding them to specific features or trims, they're all listed as part of "premium radio, version 2" with cellphone connectivity.

I see 4 part numbers for the USDM version of the "center computer control unit" which is the brick behind the screen:
9P1 035 890 D
9P1 035 890 ​​​​​X
9P1 035 892 D
​​​​​​​9P1 035 890 X​

There are also four sets of part numbers for the screen itself:
9P1 919 606 D
9P1 919 606 D DML

9P1 919 606 X
9P1 919 606 X DML

9P1 919 607 B
9P1 919 607 B DML

9P1 919 607 X
9P1 919 607 X DML
Old 02-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Thanks! That is helpful. I agree, since those numbers are so close to each other i doubt its going to be an entirely different CPU.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:25 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawyered
Thanks! That is helpful. I agree, since those numbers are so close to each other i doubt its going to be an entirely different CPU.
An entirely new CPU would have the same P/N proximity -- revisions are just +1 a lot of the time.

But again, I would be shocked if there was any appreciable difference within the same "PCM4" designation.

What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Old 02-01-2021, 01:36 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

I'm in the market for a 991.2 C2S/C4S and carplay working the best it can is important. So I just wanted to check to see if i could find out if the processors changed in 2018 or 2019 from the original 2017 upgrade. I've seen some videos of people retrofitting carplay into the 991.1 but it doesnt seem to go well because its a underpowered processor for carplay. It's going to be a daily driver for me so i want the usability that im used to in my newer BMWs, but I can't quite get my wife on board with the cost of the 992.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:50 PM
heroicdeath
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

I'm in the market for a 991.2 C2S/C4S and carplay working the best it can is important. So I just wanted to check to see if i could find out if the processors changed in 2018 or 2019 from the original 2017 upgrade. I've seen some videos of people retrofitting carplay into the 991.1 but it doesnt seem to go well because its a underpowered processor for carplay. It's going to be a daily driver for me so i want the usability that im used to in my newer BMWs, but I can't quite get my wife on board with the cost of the 992.
I have the 2017 C4S which is the 991.2, I'm a software engineer by day and can't stand slow systems, that being said most of what you;'re going to encounter is software issues rather than hardware issues. Little quirks like turning off your car to put in gas while having the phone still connected to your PCM will make the music come from the phone instead of the audio system.

Waze being unresponsive at times is an issue with Waze themselves.

I previously had a 2019 Range Rover Sport and that **** had a garbage *** infotainment system, and going to a 2017 991.2 PCM was a MUCH better experience.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:54 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Good to know. Do they issue software patches for these "quirks" ever (like via USB or something)? Or is the OS original unless it gets re-flashed at a dealership?
Old 02-01-2021, 04:58 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

I have a very late 991.2 build. Not that great and still doesn't allow preset favorites to appear in Audio on the TFT screen like in the 991.1. My '17 was no different there. It worked perfectly on my '15 TT.
Having to plug in for Apple car play is not great and I got ripped off on Amazon over a non-working dongle from China. I don't bother with it unless on a long drive.

I wouldn't buy one for the infotainment system. Not their strongest effort.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:04 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Keadog
I have a very late 991.2 build. Not that great and still doesn't allow preset favorites to appear in Audio on the TFT screen like in the 991.1. My '17 was no different there. It worked perfectly on my '15 TT.
Having to plug in for Apple car play is not great and I got ripped off on Amazon over a non-working dongle from China. I don't bother with it unless on a long drive.

I wouldn't buy one for the infotainment system. Not their strongest effort.
Thanks. Yeah i wouldnt say im buying it for the infotainment system but moreso going for a 991.2 instead of a prior gen turbo, just for useability (im sure that debate would open up a rats nest of a discussion haha).

Essentially i just dont want my wife to complain that the car does nothing when our family car is a loaded 2020 X7, and this 911 replaces a 2018 M550. But I guess that's a problem for after I buy it :-)

Also, WE HAVE TO PLUG IN FOR CARPLAY? . . . . I just assumed it was via bluetooth, i guess i was wrong there.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:49 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,136 Likes on 641 Posts

Thanks. Yeah i wouldnt say im buying it for the infotainment system but moreso going for a 991.2 instead of a prior gen turbo, just for useability (im sure that debate would open up a rats nest of a discussion haha).

Essentially i just dont want my wife to complain that the car does nothing when our family car is a loaded 2020 X7, and this 911 replaces a 2018 M550. But I guess that's a problem for after I buy it :-)

Also, WE HAVE TO PLUG IN FOR CARPLAY? . . . . I just assumed it was via bluetooth, i guess i was wrong there.
I have a 2020 Macan S with the "new" infotainment system which includes wireless CarPlay, it works flawlessly except there are no physical buttons to change track (the 991.2 has physical buttons).

I still choose to drive my 991.2 at every single opportunity over the Macan. I'm sure you can imagine why, and it's not because I just love plugging in my phone to the center console to get Waze on the screen.

Kidding aside, I don't have an issue with the CarPlay even if I have to plug it in (isn't the screen in the car supposed to be the whole point anyway?), and from what I understand the processor in the 17+ is blazing fast relative to typical in-car systems, at least from a 2017 perspective.

The Roads app, however, I have many issues with but that's neither here nor there...

edit- something else to think about you may not be aware of without spending a decent amount of time in a 991... is they're quite loud in the cabin. Louder than you may expect (my Macan and Audi S3 are orders of magnitude quieter). My wife in particular is (always) quick to point it out. Some folks have gone to substantial measures to quiet it down to apparently successful effect to include extra sound deadening material over the wheel wells and doors, etc, but just make sure to test drive with that in mind. Also, my car has 20" and SPASM so that may account for something...

Last edited by manifold danger; 02-01-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:53 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I have a 2020 Macan S with the "new" infotainment system which includes wireless CarPlay, it works flawlessly except there are no physical buttons to change track (the 991.2 has physical buttons).

I still choose to drive my 991.2 at every single opportunity over the Macan. I'm sure you can imagine why, and it's not because I just love plugging in my phone to the center console to get Waze on the screen.

Kidding aside, I don't have an issue with the CarPlay even if I have to plug it in (isn't the screen in the car supposed to be the whole point anyway?), and from what I understand the processor in the 17+ is blazing fast relative to typical in-car systems, at least from a 2017 perspective.

The Roads app, however, I have many issues with but that's neither here nor there...
I can't wait to feel the exhilaration of plugging that lightening cable in.

Good to know though, I guess my question is answered, a non-issue between 991.2 years.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:55 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

I can't wait to feel the exhilaration of plugging that lightening cable in.

Good to know though, I guess my question is answered, a non-issue between 991.2 years.
You may not have seen my ninja edit with your ninja reply:

edit- something else to think about you may not be aware of without spending a decent amount of time in a 991... is they're quite loud in the cabin. Louder than you may expect (my Macan and Audi S3 are orders of magnitude quieter). My wife in particular is (always) quick to point it out. Some folks have gone to substantial measures to quiet it down to apparently successful effect to include extra sound deadening material over the wheel wells and doors, etc, but just make sure to test drive with that in mind. Also, my car has 20" and SPASM so that may account for something...Last edited by manifold danger; Today at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:03 PM
Lawyered
Rennlist Member

You may not have seen my ninja edit with your ninja reply:

edit- something else to think about you may not be aware of without spending a decent amount of time in a 991... is they're quite loud in the cabin. Louder than you may expect (my Macan and Audi S3 are orders of magnitude quieter). My wife in particular is (always) quick to point it out. Some folks have gone to substantial measures to quiet it down to apparently successful effect to include extra sound deadening material over the wheel wells and doors, etc, but just make sure to test drive with that in mind. Also, my car has 20" and SPASM so that may account for something...Last edited by manifold danger; Today at 05:54 PM.
I've driven a 991.1 with the exhaust package and when it was in the comfort/quiet mode (whatever its called) it was tolerable, and it was a nice change when i changed the setting (again i forget what they are called in the 911s but whatever setting to make it loud). She wont drive/ride in it before I buy, so it will be too late for her to complain about the noise at that point. Im just going to pretend you said it's even quieter than my M550.
The following users liked this post:
manifold danger (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

edit- something else to think about you may not be aware of without spending a decent amount of time in a 991... is they're quite loud in the cabin. Louder than you may expect (my Macan and Audi S3 are orders of magnitude quieter). My wife in particular is (always) quick to point it out. Some folks have gone to substantial measures to quiet it down to apparently successful effect to include extra sound deadening material over the wheel wells and doors, etc, but just make sure to test drive with that in mind. Also, my car has 20" and SPASM so that may account for something...
I found that adding 200 cell cats and a Soul exhaust quieted things down nicely.
OK, I kid. My wife prefers the S550 but never complains when we take the 991 somewhere.
These cars are just great to drive. So, for all their BS with crazy option pricing and deviated stitching charges, I can’t break the habit.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

I've driven a 991.1 with the exhaust package and when it was in the comfort/quiet mode (whatever its called) it was tolerable, and it was a nice change when i changed the setting (again i forget what they are called in the 911s but whatever setting to make it loud). She wont drive/ride in it before I buy, so it will be too late for her to complain about the noise at that point. Im just going to pretend you said it's even quieter than my M550.
She complains- about the sound. Road surfaces make a difference too.

But it all goes away, especially when she drives it. She loves this car as much as I do.

Wife complaints aside, it might be noticeable on conference calls was another point I was trying to make. Doesn't deter me at all, but coming from a 5-series, yeah... feel free to blame the random internet forum guy, you have my full approval!

Quick Reply: Infotainment Processor in 991.2