Sponsored by:

Smog failure in California

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 08:02 PM
smwalker
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wstsdphisg
I failed because that evap sensor fail code was stored as a permanent fault code in temporary memory. There seems to be a temporary memory space in cars that the dealer/scanners can't touch. The only solution is to drive 200 miles and have at least 15 warm up/cold start cycles. If the car does not detect the failure during this time it clears that code from the permanent fault code memory. .
Just to correct you a little on this. In 2010 and newer vehicles permanent codes cannot be cleared with a scanner. They do clear out after 3 successful completions of the drive cycle. The 15 Warm Up cycles and 200 miles rule from the BAR is a workaround for getting people through SMOG check. The 15 Warm up cycles and 200 miles does not clear the code rather the SMOG computer is programmed to ignore the permanent code after 15/200. So if you do the 15 /200 and the permanent code is still there you will still pass a CA SMOG check.

You will see above I said two distinct things: "Warn Up Cycles" and "Drive Cycles". They are not the same. Warm up cycles are very easy and can be done in your driveway, cold start and let it idle to 160 Degrees is all it takes. A Drive Cycle is a completely different story and depending on the car can take anywhere from 30 to 300 miles to complete one depending on the driving conditions you encounter.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:42 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

I just went into my 2nd CA smog for my 991. I had a perm code for catalysts but was able to resolve them. The perm code disappears quickly after a drive cycle. The big one is to drive for 5-10 mins between 2-3K rpm at around 50-65 mph. I was able to clear all my perm codes and every sensor to ready in just 2 drives.

also it’s good to invest in a cheap OBD dongle so you can verify you don’t have any perm fault codes and all sensors are ready. I got a generic one on Amazon for $30
Old 02-05-2023, 09:03 PM
VII7
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

After 200 miles and 15 startup cycles they will ignore any PDTC, it's not that they take that long to clear.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:20 PM
smwalker
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VII7
After 200 miles and 15 startup cycles they will ignore any PDTC, it's not that they take that long to clear.
That will all depend on what system the PDTC is related to. Evap will usually take the longest as opposed to an oxygen sensor code. How fast they clear is related to how often you can successfully complete the drive cycle on the underlying monitor. So CAT and Oxygen sensor monitors might run on ever freeway trip you take. But Evap needs to see around 3/4 tank and the correct air temperature before it will attempt a monitor test. And of course this varies from model and manufacturer. The 15/200 rule was for the cars that could not clear it in 200. I mean there are people that go a thousand miles and still can't clear it in some cars.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

EGR code reset does not take some complicated procedure to reset. Just drive the car at freeway speeds for 20-30 minutes and it resets. I’ve dealt with this twice bringing cars into California.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by smwalker
That will all depend on what system the PDTC is related to. Evap will usually take the longest as opposed to an oxygen sensor code. How fast they clear is related to how often you can successfully complete the drive cycle on the underlying monitor. So CAT and Oxygen sensor monitors might run on ever freeway trip you take. But Evap needs to see around 3/4 tank and the correct air temperature before it will attempt a monitor test. And of course this varies from model and manufacturer. The 15/200 rule was for the cars that could not clear it in 200. I mean there are people that go a thousand miles and still can't clear it in some cars.
You can pass in CA with EVAP not set for exactly the reason you stated.

Quick Reply: Smog failure in California