Sponsored by:

Rear Quarter Window - loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 05:48 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Window - loose?

Quick sanity check. I have my car in for some service and mentioned that my rear quarter windows are loose. When I push on them (either in or out) when cleaning, I can literally feel them move - there is a lot of play and it feels like I could just push them all the way out. The SA says he has heard this is normal but will have the techs check. Seems odd to me so I am looking for some feedback. For reference I have a .2 coupe. What say you Rennlist?
Old 01-26-2021, 07:44 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Easiest answer is to not clean your windows......
mine seem firmly in place....
Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Quick sanity check. I have my car in for some service and mentioned that my rear quarter windows are loose. When I push on them (either in or out) when cleaning, I can literally feel them move - there is a lot of play and it feels like I could just push them all the way out. The SA says he has heard this is normal but will have the techs check. Seems odd to me so I am looking for some feedback. For reference I have a .2 coupe. What say you Rennlist?

I notice the same thing on my 2017 991.2 Carrera
Old 01-26-2021, 07:48 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Easiest answer is to not clean your windows......
mine seem firmly in place....
I clean them one every 3 years, whether they need it or not...

Originally Posted by F355bob
Bummer - was hoping I was the outlier but this still seems odd to me.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:03 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Pretty normal, the rear side windows are quite loosely held in place. Two screws on one side, I think the front, and a few guide tabs elsewhere.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:10 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,124 Likes on 669 Posts

Just checked-mine are flexible but they are the gorilla glass ones used in the gt cars. They don’t seem loose to me!
Old 01-26-2021, 09:48 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
Pretty normal, the rear side windows are quite loosely held in place. Two screws on one side, I think the front, and a few guide tabs elsewhere.
Thanks. Is it not odd that a car has loose glass like that though? I guess I will accept it but seems to be a poor design.

Originally Posted by polobai
Just checked-mine are flexible but they are the gorilla glass ones used in the gt cars. They don’t seem loose to me!
Thanks!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:40 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

ditto my 2012 C2S. consider yourself lucky if it doesn't make a terrible rattle/noise when temps drop below 60 degrees. mine did and it drove me nuts. spent about an hour pin pointing exactly where it was coming from and exactly where to jam in a soft rubber grommet to make it go away. about a dozen tries until i nailed it. feels firm now...but not too firm as it needs to flex a little bit. internet search revealed it's fairly common along with a process to fix it properly. i chose the grommet jamming method instead. quicker and way cheaper =)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:20 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

The 997 design is even worse. Held in by rivets. But if you ever need to remove the window seal you need to remove the rivets, which then get stuck in the double walled fender and create outward dents. Sometimes the rivets can apparently just come out on their own as well. The 991 design, maybe while not as secure, eliminates that risk.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:18 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Thanks. Is it not odd that a car has loose glass like that though? I guess I will accept it but seems to be a poor design.
Personally I've never had an issue with it. I don't go pressing on windows measuring their deflection though, so I may be biased.

The entire hood of the car is held with two hinges and one electronically actuated clasp -- a much larger surface area subjected to much higher pressure differentials, yet it's just fine.

I wouldn't think too much into it.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:30 AM
2-Rotor
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine has a little movement as well. It doesnt leak water and i guess when the windows are down thats the noise i hear with all the wind buffering.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:32 AM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by F355bob
Ditto on my 2013 991.1 C2S. I was surprised to discover this past summer the right-rear quarter window moved in and out while cleaning it. But the other side's window did the same thing, so I assumed it was normal (perhaps prevent the window from cracking when the body flexes?).
Old 04-11-2023, 04:11 PM
QuietFiend
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I'm having the same problem on my Drivers Side Rear Quarter window on my 2019 Carrera T.

I'm devasted cause I thought this would be a simple fix but taking it to my Porsche Dealer they mentioned that the driver side rear quarter window will need to be replaced.

Sales Advisor mentioned that the "Lightweight Glass is seperating" and it will cost is $2,828.61 to replace.

Basically my symptoms are the same in this thread. theres a little play when i push down on corner where it meets the bottom window moulding kinda like its loose at the bottom corner. Isn't the fix usually some screws/bolts that just need to be tightened behind the b pillar trim?

Need some help here guys cause this just totally ruined my day and my first experience owning a Porsche 911.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by QuietFiend; 04-12-2023 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:46 PM
HardRider
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 121 Posts

Guys the rear side windows are cantilevered off two bolts in "B" pillar and then a T-Piece in back. YES THEY EASILY MOVE. The weather stripping is part of the glass. Search for a mega rattle post on this website and the guy shows the window removed. As far as the t glass, screw that go back with standard glass of ebay for $300 used.

I would love to see a picture of this separating glass, More than likely another stupid fk advisor milking money.....

Last edited by HardRider; 04-11-2023 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QuietFiend (04-11-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:26 PM
QuietFiend
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HardRider
Guys the rear side windows are cantilevered off two bolts in "B" pillar and then a T-Piece in back. YES THEY EASILY MOVE. The weather stripping is part of the glass. Search for a mega rattle post on this website and the guy shows the window removed. As far as the t glass, screw that go back with standard glass of ebay for $300 used.
Thanks man. That fact that they do move calms me down a little bit. As a car guy I’m like damn I guess my car is totaled lol.

Thats originally what I thought too and that the lower bolt behind the b pillar just needed to be tightened down. Even when i washed the car I didnt notice any leaking or strange wind noises, for now it doesn't at least.

I would prefer to stick with the lightweight glass if possible. At this point Im thinking of just taking it to a local indy Porsche shop and just have them remove the bolt and try retightening it down. Just to get a 2nd opinion

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Window - loose?