Sponsored by:

GTS lowering

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 01:07 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts
Default GTS lowering

I'm the proud owner of a 'new to me' 2018 911 GTS. I've always lowered my 911's and was planning on doing the same with my GTS. Will likely go with TechArts and DSC module. It worked very well on my base for street with occasional track duties.

Does anyone have pictures of their GTS lowered on stock wheels? I'm concerned that with centerlocks and no spacers the wheels might look too 'tucked in'. I know getting a set of new wheels with the correct offset is the best option but I'm not too excited to do that right now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Having done the TechArts plus DSC, I'd recommend considering KW's HAS kit plus DSC. Your concern about offsets when lowered is prescient, particularly with no way to space centerlocks. I've heard some discussion around GT3 control arms etc to push the hubs out, so that might be something to consider.

Worth figuring out, though, as a GTS lowered with wheels filling the fenders would look fabulous.
The following 2 users liked this post by stout:
AdamSanta85 (01-26-2021), polobai (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:26 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard the TechArt springs are softer than the stock. I 2nd the KW HAS kit plus the DSC. Or Elephant Racing Coilover conversion which I think is a better set up because the springs are linear, not progressive. https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...-kits-for-991/

Old 01-26-2021, 03:51 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 300 Posts

Personally, I've only ever been disappointed with lowering springs when it comes to performance. The spring/shock combination never seem to mesh the way I'd like (not enough dampening or control for my taste).

I'm going with Bilstein B16 coil-overs. It keeps PASM as the shocks do have the same adjustability as the stock shocks (Bilstein is the OEM provider of the shocks for our cars). I thought who would know better than Bilstein since they're prevey to all the data with regards to the design of the car and suspension?
I'll couple this with the DSC as well. Change up the alignment to specs that DSC recommends and run the GT3 Touring map for Sport and Sport+ and it should be perfect.

The B16's are around $2700. So, not cheap, but we are driving Porsches. I say, get the most out of your car and enjoy it.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:53 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 300 Posts

Also, to add on regarding offsets and new wheels when you lower the car.
Check out the classifieds here. There always seems to be a TON of CL wheels for sale. Much more than NB cars.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:30 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I usually lower all my cars as well, but I don't know if it's us just getting older or what, but the last couple I've done have just developed an atrociously bad ride overtime. Granted we usually use Eibachs and leave the stock shocks.

My '16 GTS has SPASM/Centerlocks and I wanted to close that wheel gap just a bit more as well, but I was also concerned about the "sucked in" effect and the ride quality suffering. What I did instead is grabbed a set of aftermarket rims with an aggressive offset and wider rims, which pushed the wheels out further, and helped close that gap a bit just by bringing the wheels out to the edges. And... My ride quality isn't going to suffer now either. I'm happy with the results.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I usually lower all my cars as well, but I don't know if it's us just getting older or what, but the last couple I've done have just developed an atrociously bad ride overtime. Granted we usually use Eibachs and leave the stock shocks.

My '16 GTS has SPASM/Centerlocks and I wanted to close that wheel gap just a bit more as well, but I was also concerned about the "sucked in" effect and the ride quality suffering. What I did instead is grabbed a set of aftermarket rims with an aggressive offset and wider rims, which pushed the wheels out further, and helped close that gap a bit just by bringing the wheels out to the edges. And... My ride quality isn't going to suffer now either. I'm happy with the results.
I really wanted to leave the SPASM suspension alone and did not want to buy wheels. However when it arrived I could not believe how high the SPASM sits. In doing some research some people have stated the 991.1 SPASM is lower that 991.2 SPASM. Not sure if that is accurate. I will probably go with the springs and DSC for now. If the offset does not look right I can source a set of aftermarket wheels.

Still looking for any pictures of a 991.2 GTS lowered with stock 20" wheels.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:53 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

I went from SPASM to TechArt and finally B16's.

SPASM, performance wise was step above the TechArts. I think going from a linear to a progressive spring made the car feel softer and not as responsive.

I know the B16's are progressive as well, but I feel that bilstein did a good job of matching their spring to their damper and the car just felt more sporty, but definitely more "stiff"

I am also running the DSC and PDCC, so once I got the the DSC with a map I liked, it felt perfect.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:55 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Personally, I've only ever been disappointed with lowering springs when it comes to performance. The spring/shock combination never seem to mesh the way I'd like (not enough dampening or control for my taste).

I'm going with Bilstein B16 coil-overs. It keeps PASM as the shocks do have the same adjustability as the stock shocks (Bilstein is the OEM provider of the shocks for our cars). I thought who would know better than Bilstein since they're prevey to all the data with regards to the design of the car and suspension?
I'll couple this with the DSC as well. Change up the alignment to specs that DSC recommends and run the GT3 Touring map for Sport and Sport+ and it should be perfect.

The B16's are around $2700. So, not cheap, but we are driving Porsches. I say, get the most out of your car and enjoy it.
This is my current setup and it seems like the best street/track performance to dollar ratio for our cars. The next step would be going full tractive, but that's next step in cost. Also I got my B16's new for a steal of a price so that equated into my upgrade from the tech art springs.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:30 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Truble10
I really wanted to leave the SPASM suspension alone and did not want to buy wheels. However when it arrived I could not believe how high the SPASM sits. In doing some research some people have stated the 991.1 SPASM is lower that 991.2 SPASM. Not sure if that is accurate. I will probably go with the springs and DSC for now. If the offset does not look right I can source a set of aftermarket wheels.

Still looking for any pictures of a 991.2 GTS lowered with stock 20" wheels.
Ya, it does sit a little high. But I just don't want to mess with the suspension on this car. I just know I'd regret it, unless I did coilovers, as someone else suggested.

For your reference, here's mine with the aftermarket rims. I can live with it.

Old 01-26-2021, 10:32 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Picture of my old GTS 991.2 with Techart Springs.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:45 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I went from SPASM to KW HAS Kit and then to B16’s as well. Also running the DSC module. Night and day difference between the HAS Kit and B16’s. Once you lower with coilovers you will never use springs. Here’s how mine sits on HRE’s

The following 2 users liked this post by eysa:
Jeahbladejeah (07-19-2021), rugu6869 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 03:07 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eysa
I went from SPASM to KW HAS Kit and then to B16’s as well. Also running the DSC module. Night and day difference between the HAS Kit and B16’s. Once you lower with coilovers you will never use springs. Here’s how mine sits on HRE’s
Gorgeous, are those 20"s or 21"s?
Old 01-27-2021, 03:09 AM
eysa
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Gorgeous, are those 20"s or 21"s?
ty, they are 20's
Old 01-27-2021, 03:09 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Here's mine on B16's on the lowest setting with PDCC (PDCC cars can't go as low in front as cars without it)

20" BC Forged

Quick Reply: GTS lowering