Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black/Cognac or other interiors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 10:53 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Black/Cognac or other interiors?

I've always been a fan of Porsche but wondered why there are so few color options for our 911 interiors. Ferrari, Lambo and others seem to have such rich colors of leather that we can't get. I went on a factory tour over a decade ago and I remember them saying that you could actually source your own leather and they can customize it for your car, so I get that anything can be done if we pay enough for it. I love the brownish color that was offered with the 911 Speedster...my question is, can that be ordered and at what [crazy] cost? I didn't see it as an option in the 992 configurator but it is listed as black/cognac in a Speedster option list.

Ferrari's have such great 'natural brown' colors. Considering we can get any exterior color to man, why aren't more interior shades available?
The following 3 users liked this post by Nthusiast:
cicsprog (02-11-2022), Elmiko (02-14-2022), GT3FZS (02-10-2022)
Old 01-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

There is a LTS option if I am not mistaken. $$$$$$$
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Sounds like you are a great candidate for the Leather To Sample option. Porsche Exclusiv will work with you to produce what you want.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack F
Sounds like you are a great candidate for the Leather To Sample option. Porsche Exclusiv will work with you to produce what you want.
I guess my bigger question is, why don't these 'natural browns' that are standard in other high-end manufacturers not a standard option with Porsche?

I get that I could spend $1000's to get a custom color but I just don't see that the cognac color in the Speedster should be custom. I understand the economics of it, and that Porsche makes a killing through customization of every option. If we look at the vast majority of Porsche products on the market we see black, beige, and gray. Every so often we'll catch the occasional red or blue but I don't think I've ever seen a brown. Yet, brown seems to be the most predominant interior on a Ferrari. I just wonder why? Personally, I think that cognac interior on the Speedster brings a rich look that you can't get with black, gray, or even beige. I'd just like it as an option without going through Exclusive.

Have any of you done a Leather to Sample? I'd love to hear more about timing, cost, motivation, etc.

Am I alone in thinking that Cognac should be on a normal Porsche option list?
Old 01-25-2021, 12:24 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts
Default LTS

Originally Posted by Nthusiast
I guess my bigger question is, why don't these 'natural browns' that are standard in other high-end manufacturers not a standard option with Porsche?

I get that I could spend $1000's to get a custom color but I just don't see that the cognac color in the Speedster should be custom. I understand the economics of it, and that Porsche makes a killing through customization of every option. If we look at the vast majority of Porsche products on the market we see black, beige, and gray. Every so often we'll catch the occasional red or blue but I don't think I've ever seen a brown. Yet, brown seems to be the most predominant interior on a Ferrari. I just wonder why? Personally, I think that cognac interior on the Speedster brings a rich look that you can't get with black, gray, or even beige. I'd just like it as an option without going through Exclusive.

Have any of you done a Leather to Sample? I'd love to hear more about timing, cost, motivation, etc.

Am I alone in thinking that Cognac should be on a normal Porsche option list?
I have done LTS in ascot and it came out great. If you want to send me your pm I will explain the whole experience. Too much to write but would love to tell you about it. Thanks evan
The following users liked this post:
Nthusiast (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 02:05 PM
cclcal
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

my car was ordered by 1st owner w a brown interior only available in Cayennes @ that time. I think the brown was called umber. So it can be done.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:39 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

Jim I left my number in your in box. Give me a call.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts

Espresso/Cognac was a "natural leather" option along with all Espresso (which my car has) on the 991.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1048...-interior.html
It was a ~$5800 option, so I don't think it was a box that got checked very often. When I was searching for my car, I really tried to hold out for the Espresso/Cognac option, but trying to pair that with a manual convertible in the used car market was basically impossible. In general, I wish Porsche did more 'normal' (ie: something that doesn't include a red or blue) two tone interiors with a dark dash . The sea of single color (whether tan, black or the reds) isn't my preference. Even my espresso, I love it but it is such a dark shade of brown, it looks almost black when the top is up and it isn't super bright and it is everywhere inside.

Last edited by Josh(PA); 01-26-2021 at 09:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh(PA):
GT3FZS (02-10-2022), pride355 (02-12-2022)
Old 01-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

When I ordered my '17 Targa 4S, LTS wasn't that much more than the natural leather choices. Maybe $5100 or so. I ordered that PTS car LTS in natural leather in black and didn't find out until I placed the order that LTS came with my choice of deviated stitching at no extra charge (GT Silver in that car).
No idea what's happening now, since PTS was $5500 then and pushing $12K now.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:06 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,132 Likes on 681 Posts

Of course, it did take almost a year to get the car...
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 76 Posts
Default https://www.ebay.com/itm/PTS-INTERIOR-18-WAY-Exclusive-Manufaktur-SET-PORSCHE-991-GTS

For anyone wanting to create their own, I just happened upon this listing on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PTS-INTERIO...P/233839990351
Old 01-26-2021, 04:02 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

I like that expresso...your car is beautiful. I still don't understand why we don't have more shades of brown as options.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:06 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 954 Posts

I agree with you on Porsche’s limited interior options. I’ve never owned a 911 with a black interior because I just don’t like it. I have owned Natural Brown Leather, Sand Beige, and my current car’s Espresso/Cognac combination. I’ve got espresso deviated carpets with it also.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:14 AM
Spaetzl
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
For anyone wanting to create their own, I just happened upon this listing on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PTS-INTERIO...P/233839990351
That's so pretty I considered going for it even though I am too cheap. I need to find a wrecked car that someone hasn't spotted yet.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:10 PM
DButcher
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nthusiast
I've always been a fan of Porsche but wondered why there are so few color options for our 911 interiors. Ferrari, Lambo and others seem to have such rich colors of leather that we can't get. I went on a factory tour over a decade ago and I remember them saying that you could actually source your own leather and they can customize it for your car, so I get that anything can be done if we pay enough for it. I love the brownish color that was offered with the 911 Speedster...my question is, can that be ordered and at what [crazy] cost? I didn't see it as an option in the 992 configurator but it is listed as black/cognac in a Speedster option list.

Ferrari's have such great 'natural brown' colors. Considering we can get any exterior color to man, why aren't more interior shades available?
For people who have seen Cognac in person, is this picture close to reality or is it more orange? I have Cognac specced with my Oak Green touring build but considering reverting back to Mojave as the lighter tone might mesh nicer. Some pictures I’m finding of cognac are really bright orange looking.

Quick Reply: Black/Cognac or other interiors?