I made a secret hidden compartment in my frunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 09:31 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Great idea. Great execution.

How many inches above the frunk floor is the new shelving - I assume not more than about 3 inches?
It's about 4" but only because that's the height of the portable beach chairs it's resting on. It could go lower if I take them out. It could go higher as well.

Originally Posted by PCS911
This is very cool! I want one! @Tier1Terrier would you be willing to share the measurements for the board, pre-carpeting? A pattern would be even more awesome so I could cut one out? Thanks!!
17.25" x 28" not taking into account the corners which have to be rounded/cut. If you want a deeper space below where the cover/lid rests on that rear ledge of the compartment, then you would increase the depth to 18.5".

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 01-25-2021 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 10:09 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 81 Posts

OP,
If I'm not mistaken you Porsche is a C2 right?
Dimensions for a C4 would be different. Depth would be shorter. My C4S is in storage right now so I can't double check.

Last edited by dannyss; 01-25-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:53 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

That's awesome! Great work. Only thing I would add is a loop or strap so you can use it to lift it out with ease each time your need to access that area. Thanks for sharing dimensions.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:01 AM
bb964
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Dave - Great effort - Thanks! Wish there was some hidden compartment in the 991 to keep rarely used items out of the way..

I also loved your video on the Tire Sealant - had no idea the one in our cars has an expiration date and that an OEM product (Terra-S) is available at a fraction of the price. This deserves a separate thread!

Again - thanks for the effort Dave! Keep em coming....

Last edited by bb964; 01-26-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:05 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyss
OP,
If I'm not mistaken you Porsche is a C2 right?
Dimensions for a C4 would be different. Depth would be shorter. My C4S is in storage right now so I can't double check.
Not sure of the difference in dimensions for the C4 (vs C2) but you can always measure and compare. In any event, I wouldn't cut the final board until you have established a good fitting template out of cardboard.

Originally Posted by 911.
That's awesome! Great work. Only thing I would add is a loop or strap so you can use it to lift it out with ease each time your need to access that area. Thanks for sharing dimensions.
I thought of doing this using a strap similar to the Porsche RS door pull straps. I found a source and they look good. However, I like that without the strap, it maintains that secret/hidden aspect and there's still a slight bit of room to wedge my fingers along the backside to lift it.

Originally Posted by bb964
Dave - Great effort - Thanks! Wish there was some hidden compartment in the 991 to keep rarely used items out of the way..

I also loved your video on the Tire Sealant - had no idea the one in our cars has an expiration date and that an OEM product (Terra-S) is available at a fraction of the price. This deserves a separate thread!

https://youtu.be/QcoE7i_Mkus

Again - thanks for the effort Dave! Keep em coming....
Thank you so much for the feedback. I'm glad you liked the Tire Sealant video. I'm just getting started with my YouTube channel and hoping to build up the content and give back to the Porsche community.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:45 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier

I thought of doing this using a strap similar to the Porsche RS door pull straps. I found a source and they look good. However, I like that without the strap, it maintains that secret/hidden aspect and there's still a slight bit of room to wedge my fingers along the backside to lift it.

Nice job! Another discreet option would be to use a push opener like these ones from Ikea.

The following users liked this post:
Tier1Terrier (01-27-2021)

Quick Reply: I made a secret hidden compartment in my frunk