Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NY storage insurance rules?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021 | 12:55 AM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Default NY storage insurance rules?

Anyone from NY familiar with what the DMV requires when you want to put your car in storage and cut back on insurance coverage
to comprehensive only?

Do they allow you to keep your plates?

Require notification via some specific form?

Old 01-09-2021 | 06:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Not that I know of. Just cut your collision insurance, keep your comprehensive by calling insurance company. Then reinstate insurance when you are ready to drive. If you drop insurance completely, that is when you need to turn in plates. When you call insurance company, they can provide all information.
Old 01-09-2021 | 08:43 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have done this for years, but my understanding is that you need an insurance company to also cooperate. I have State Farm. I may switch if they don't stop with the commercials, but I digress. They have what's called "remove from use", and I don't turn the plates in.
Old 01-09-2021 | 09:51 AM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

I used to turn in my plates, but that was 20 years ago, so glad I don't have to put my cars up anymore.
Old 01-09-2021 | 11:00 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

If your car is financed or leased you won't be able to turn off the collision coverage.
Old 01-09-2021 | 11:22 AM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

You also need to talk with storage facility as they may require you to keep insurance. Ex, their insurance may not cover your car in the event of fire etc.

but call your insurance, Hagerty, etc as you should be able to reduce premium since you are not driving it

Last edited by Norge911; 01-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2021 | 11:52 PM
smichael
Rennlist Member

GEICO says otherwise. They say they will reduce my coverage to comprehensive only ( at half the full current insurance cost), but that NY requires me to temporarily turn in my plates to do so. They sent me this DMV link which appears to support this position.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/temp...-plates-season

Last edited by smichael; 01-09-2021 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-10-2021 | 12:18 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Did this last winter with my 2019 Carrera T and Geico. State of NJ sent me a nasty letter that my car was not insured and threatened to take my license. Long story short, I moved the 911 to American Modern with my other collector cars. Now full coverage with replacement value, year round at 50% of the premium cost.
Old 01-10-2021 | 06:46 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by smichael
GEICO says otherwise. They say they will reduce my coverage to comprehensive only ( at half the full current insurance cost), but that NY requires me to temporarily turn in my plates to do so. They sent me this DMV link which appears to support this position.

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/temp...-plates-season

This is weird. You are just giving up the collision part of insurance and still paying the comprehensive part, so why would you surrender your plates? If you have a 20 year old car, you can still drive it and have it registered with comprehensive insurance and no collision insurance because you don't care what happens to it if you get into a fender bender. I removed my collision years ago because car was in storage and had no issues. Maybe laws changed, but it still does not make sense to me.
Old 01-10-2021 | 11:34 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

My car is registered in PA, but stored in our garage at a cottage in the NY finger lakes. Each year I've just called USAA and told them I'd be tucking it away for winter from x date to y date. They do the same remove from use as 993994s2 commented and call me on Y date to be sure I'm taking it out and re-instate it. They've never required any communication with either PA or NY DMV.
Old 01-11-2021 | 02:17 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
My car is registered in PA, but stored in our garage at a cottage in the NY finger lakes. Each year I've just called USAA and told them I'd be tucking it away for winter from x date to y date. They do the same remove from use as 993994s2 commented and call me on Y date to be sure I'm taking it out and re-instate it. They've never required any communication with either PA or NY DMV.

I suspect that if you remove collision and liabitity insurance, then you are in effect saying that it is no longer in use and the plates need to be returned. Removing liabiliity is the issue.
Old 01-18-2021 | 12:44 AM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
This is weird. You are just giving up the collision part of insurance and still paying the comprehensive part, so why would you surrender your plates? If you have a 20 year old car, you can still drive it and have it registered with comprehensive insurance and no collision insurance because you don't care what happens to it if you get into a fender bender. I removed my collision years ago because car was in storage and had no issues. Maybe laws changed, but it still does not make sense to me.
You have that reversed. They could care less that you don't have comprehensive, that's on you. But they feel that plates mean it is road going and no collision insurance means its not.
Old 01-18-2021 | 10:45 AM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
I suspect that if you remove collision and liabitity insurance, then you are in effect saying that it is no longer in use and the plates need to be returned. Removing liabiliity is the issue.
At least in my situation, I'm not 'removing' either insurance coverage. I'm informing my insurance company that the car is in storage, and they change the risk profile and adjust rates accordingly. If I were to need to move the car for some reason, it is still fully insured. If I look at my policy right now, it shows all the normal coverages, but under the discounts tab it shows a vehichle storage discount @ $xxx

Last edited by Josh(PA); 01-18-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2021 | 03:48 AM
jstdenis
Advanced

I have cars in both NY and FL; both registered in NY. I routinely but one car in storage and take one out of storage every six months. My insurer(AARP/The Hartford) requires that I turn in plates to DMV when I request suspension of liability/collision coverage and maintain comprehensive. The issue is the suspension of liability which triggers plate surrender. Go to DMV, surrender plates and DMV will print out a duplicate surrender form; one of which I submit to the insurer and they adjust my premium to the date of the surrender. I had friends insured by USAA who removed liability but were not required to surrender plates. Must be insurer dependent; however, I do know that NY DMV rules require the surrender of plates when liability is suspended. So if your insurer does not require surrender considerer yourself blessed! Real Pain in the ****. Must go back to DMV(with proof of insurance) to get plates back. So the routine is go to DMV every six months, surrender one set and retrieve another set. And yes carry one set back and forth to and from FL.
Old 01-21-2021 | 02:10 PM
marcnyc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Josh(PA)
At least in my situation, I'm not 'removing' either insurance coverage. I'm informing my insurance company that the car is in storage, and they change the risk profile and adjust rates accordingly. If I were to need to move the car for some reason, it is still fully insured. If I look at my policy right now, it shows all the normal coverages, but under the discounts tab it shows a vehichle storage discount @ $xxx
What insurance company do you have? Thanks!

Quick Reply: NY storage insurance rules?