Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 991.1 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2021 | 11:27 AM
My991
Racer

Originally Posted by desmotesta;[url=[url
tel:17135703]17135703]What[/url] a beautiful color combo, congrats!!!

On the subject of exhaust and drone, unless you are one of those lucky few who can live with "drone" and consider it part of the sport driving experience , I hate to tell you that even the Factory PSE drones. Not talking aftermarket exhaust levels of annoyance, not saying it makes interior pieces buzz in agony, but it sure does drone if you have PSE on at cruising speeds. I would be very careful with ANY aftermarket exhausts especially if people claim "it doesn't drone just like PSE".
my 2 cents
With a valved exhaust like PSE or Soul just press the button and shut it off
Old 01-03-2021 | 01:29 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My991
Non-Porsche dealer purchase?
Correct. My previous car was a CPO. That said, while it's a great warranty, it doesn't guarantee a great car based on what others have said. I would have still preferred buying from a Porsche shop, but the whole Sports Chrono hold seems to be limiting the available inventory. There was a perfect car just miles from where I live, but they told me they couldn't sell it until Feb/Mar (plus someone else had a refundable $5k hold on it ). I also spent a lot of time on https://finder.porsche.com/us/en_US/ but it's often out of sync with what dealers actually have available. Two or three potential finds were already sold when I inquired.

Originally Posted by desmotesta
What a beautiful color combo, congrats!!!

On the subject of exhaust and drone, unless you are one of those lucky few who can live with "drone" and consider it part of the sport driving experience , I hate to tell you that even the Factory PSE drones. Not talking aftermarket exhaust levels of annoyance, not saying it makes interior pieces buzz in agony, but it sure does drone if you have PSE on at cruising speeds. I would be very careful with ANY aftermarket exhausts especially if people claim "it doesn't drone just like PSE".
my 2 cents
Sage advice. So far, I'm surprised at how much character the car has without PSE, and... I have never actually driven or been in a PSE car (except for a short test drive a few years ago). What it comes down to is that I have been seduced by all of the 991 reviews on the YouToobs and how they all seems to say it's a required option. Porsche is really smart about speccing press cars with PSE... Plus, everyone on these forums that has PSE claims that it is transformative.

I suppose that until I scratch that itch, I'll always be feeling like I'm missing some element of driving with a stock exhaust. But light mods and customization of these cars is part of the fun right?
Old 01-03-2021 | 04:51 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gripster
Thanks - I thought it was going to be in the $3-5k range, but at $1600 for the parts it’s a viable option. I’ll search the forums for more info, but any idea what it would cost to install? I know a great indie who could do it.
I bought the parts on the internet and brought them to my local dealer who did the install for just under $1K. I was able to stay under $3K for the whole thing.

EDIT: If you decide to do it, try to get them to put the PSE console button in the "right" place. The factory-spec'd PSE button is in the 2nd position on the right side, in between the wing up/down and the auto-stop/start. Whenever I've seen after-market installs they always tack the button onto the end, after the auto-stop/start. I had my guys put it in the factory position.

Last edited by mgordon18; 01-03-2021 at 04:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
allen986 (01-03-2021)
Old 01-03-2021 | 06:58 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

To install PSE and the button requires the Porsche service computer to program the button as its a subset of the air conditioning module. I don't know if Indies have that computer, or not. But you don't need the button, it just opens the valves early by depressing it. The values are controlled by the DME and will always open appx 3,800 rpm. the PSE button simply opens them below that rpm.

An exhaust takes me about 3 hours to install in my garage, if pulling the bumper cover have two new air filters ready to go in as well, they get surprisingly dirty, very quickly.
Old 01-09-2021 | 05:25 AM
PAPorscheGuy
Instructor

Congrats. I have a silver .2 C2S with PSE and love it. My favorite option. My default is Sport w PSE on. Need Sport on to get the burbles.
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:33 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Originally Posted by drcollie
Enjoy your new 991.1 S. I have a Tubi Exhaust for sale that fits your car over in the Classified Section for half the price of new. Sounds much nicer than any PSE system without being obnoxious if you are interested.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1229771
This! Jump on the Tubi. What a steal. Can’t say enough good things about mine
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:36 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

What a beautiful color combo, congrats!!!

my 2 cents
Nope. Absolutely incorrect. Zero drone on the Tubi style. Yes, it’s loud, but it does not drone. Period. Full stop
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:40 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Nope. Absolutely incorrect. Zero drone on the Tubi style. Yes, it’s loud, but it does not drone. Period. Full stop
Agreed. These is zero drone, that poster has never been in a 991 with a Tubi exhaust. And guys, stop lowballing me on that exhaust - sheesh.
Gripster (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021 | 06:45 PM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Agreed. These is zero drone, that poster has never been in a 991 with a Tubi exhaust. And guys, stop lowballing me on that exhaust - sheesh.
Lol. I bought mine used from RL and paid a lot more than what you’re asking. This is a bargain. Anyone lowballing is simply ignorant or an ingrate
Old 01-10-2021 | 11:35 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

just to be clear, I never said I have been in a 991 with a tubi.. or any other exhausts for that matter. Read, re-read my and read my post again, no such claims made. Never talked to Tubi, your exhaust or both in any context. cheers
Old 01-10-2021 | 01:28 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

just to be clear, I never said I have been in a 991 with a tubi.. or any other exhausts for that matter. Read, re-read my and read my post again, no such claims made. Never talked to Tubi, your exhaust or both in any context. cheers
Oh, come on! That's a Trumpain level of backtracking, my friend. You wish to address "drone" without having ever been in a car with a Tubi or other aftermarket exhaust. How did you come to that opinion then? Oh!, Let me guess - you read it on the Internet. I got it.

PEACE - LOVE - OUT.

​​​​​​On the subject of exhaust and drone, unless you are one of those lucky few who can live with "drone" and consider it part of the sport driving experience , I hate to tell you that even the Factory PSE drones. Not talking aftermarket exhaust levels of annoyance, not saying it makes interior pieces buzz in agony, but it sure does drone if you have PSE on at cruising speeds. I would be very careful with ANY aftermarket exhausts especially if people claim "it doesn't drone just like PSE".
Old 01-10-2021 | 01:42 PM
SafetyP1
Advanced

Oh, come on! That's a Trumpain level of backtracking, my friend. You wish to address "drone" without having ever been in a car with a Tubi or other aftermarket exhaust. How did you come to that opinion then? Oh!, Let me guess - you read it on the Internet. I got it.

PEACE - LOVE - OUT.

​​​​​​On the subject of exhaust and drone, unless you are one of those lucky few who can live with "drone" and consider it part of the sport driving experience , I hate to tell you that even the Factory PSE drones. Not talking aftermarket exhaust levels of annoyance, not saying it makes interior pieces buzz in agony, but it sure does drone if you have PSE on at cruising speeds. I would be very careful with ANY aftermarket exhausts especially if people claim "it doesn't drone just like PSE".
PSE on the motorway drones. I turn it off there when cruising and have it on otherwise. If you can get a valve controlled exhaust, that’d be optimum.
Old 01-10-2021 | 05:22 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SafetyP1
PSE on the motorway drones. I turn it off there when cruising and have it on otherwise. If you can get a valve controlled exhaust, that’d be optimum.
Interesting. I haven't seen anyone else say that PSE drones at any speed. Truth be told I've never actually been in a PSE car other than a quick test drive a few years ago. Since this is my DD car, I do like the idea of a 'fun' button for weekends and 'sensible' mode at other times.

I am quite tempted by drcollie's Tubi (drcollie - FYI I haven't lowballed you yet , but I'm researching as best I can via the YouTube's and Internets).
Old 02-07-2021 | 06:01 PM
pride355
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gripster
Not everything sucked about 2020. Here is my 991.1 C2S acquired a couple of weeks ago. Silver/Espresso was not a combination that I would have ever specified but I am liking it - a lot. I also wish the car had PSE - but there are options for that down the road. Frankly - it sounds way better than I thought without.

Here's a couple of pics I took today after a bit of clay bar, sealant and Collinite 845 this week.

Congrats. I have the same color combo with the same wheels on 991.1 Carrera S cabriolet with brown hood.
Gripster (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021 | 01:20 PM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pride355
Congrats. I have the same color combo with the same wheels on 991.1 Carrera S cabriolet with brown hood.
Nice!

Like I said at the top of the page, I would have never chosen this if I had configured the car myself, and I've always gone for black interiors in the past. However, the espresso is beautiful. Much more so in person than in pictures and I am really pleased with it. It's a nice change from the darkness of a black interior and some how feels more premium - although the full leather really makes a difference there too.

Quick Reply: My 991.1 C2S