Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calibrating Parking Brake after new Rotors and Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020 | 06:38 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Default Calibrating Parking Brake after new Rotors and Pads?

So I just changed out the rotors and pads on my 991.2 GTS with AP Racking J Hooks and DS2500. Got everything in and I'm trying to drive off and I can't. I hear the parking brake release, but the rear wheels barely move (and I stall). I saw when I removed the rear rotors that there was spinner wheel to adjust the shoes, but I also read that there's an electronic program to calibrate the parking brake. What do you guys think it is?
Old 12-28-2020 | 06:46 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Did you run your electric parking brake back when doing the new brakes? If not, you probably will have to. Pull the rear wheel where the parking brake is located, separate the electrical plug that goes to the parking brake. You will see two prongs there. Using a 12v spare battery, energize the motor with two jumper wires. It will now run either forward or back. You want it to run back, so swap the leads if it goes in the other direction. Once you have it run back, you're done. Bolt the wheel back on and drive, the parking brake will self-adjust. If you don't have a spare 12v battery around in a motorcycle or lawn mower, etc., you can possible try a common 9v battery, it may have enough juice for the push (I have not done that as I always have 12v batteries around). You don't need a program, or a computer, it's very simple to do. DO NOT attempt to manually twist the spinner wheels, you stand a high probability of damaging the motor in the Parking Brake.

Last edited by drcollie; 12-29-2020 at 11:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
Bayern991 (06-16-2022), Catharpin (12-29-2020), CombatChuk (12-28-2020), RDG_RCR (01-08-2021)
Old 12-28-2020 | 06:50 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Did you run your electric parking brake back when doing the new brakes? If not, you probably will have to. Pull the rear wheel where the parking brake is located, separate the electrical plug that goes to the parking brake. You will see two prongs there. Using a 12v spare battery, energize the motor with two jumper wires. It will not run either forward or back. You want it to run back, so swap the leads if it goes in the other direction. Once you have it run back, you're done. Bolt the wheel back on and drive, the parking brake will self-adjust. If you don't have a spare 12v battery around in a motorcycle or lawn mower, etc., you can possible try a common 9v battery, it may have enough juice for the push (I have not done that as I always have 12v batteries around). You don't need a program, or a computer, it's very simple to do. DO NOT attempt to manually twist the spinner wheels, you stand a high probability of damaging the motor in the Parking Brake.
When I worked on the rear rotors, the parking brake was engaged while I took the wheels off (Centerlocks). Then to take the rotors off I disengaged them, and then reengaged them to tightened the wheels (and the 5 nubs) back on.

So I think I did run the back to answer your question? Would I just have to reverse it again?
Old 12-28-2020 | 06:54 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

You just took it off PARK, so now you have to run the motor back all the way which is different than just disengaging the brake from the cabin. So yes, you need to run it back. It's really simply, will take you longer to jack the car and pull the wheel than run it back to its stop point.

Last edited by drcollie; 12-29-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2020 | 07:29 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

You just took it off PARK, you have to run the motor back all the way which is different than just disengaging the brake from the cabin. So yes, you need to run it back. It's really simply, will take you longer to jack the car and pull the wheel than run it back to its stop point.
Got it, so the goal would be to step it as far back as it'll go? For example if I lift the rear up (parking brake off) I want to step it back until the wheels are free to move. Put the wheels back on, then drive around (then engage the parking brake where the car will sense when to stop tightening and that'll be it?
Old 12-28-2020 | 08:02 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Correct! Run the motor back until you hear it stop. It will self-adjust once all back together.
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (01-07-2021)
Old 12-29-2020 | 10:09 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Did you run your electric parking brake back when doing the new brakes? If not, you probably will have to. Pull the rear wheel where the parking brake is located, separate the electrical plug that goes to the parking brake. You will see two prongs there. Using a 12v spare battery, energize the motor with two jumper wires. It will not run either forward or back. You want it to run back, so swap the leads if it goes in the other direction. Once you have it run back, you're done. Bolt the wheel back on and drive, the parking brake will self-adjust. If you don't have a spare 12v battery around in a motorcycle or lawn mower, etc., you can possible try a common 9v battery, it may have enough juice for the push (I have not done that as I always have 12v batteries around). You don't need a program, or a computer, it's very simple to do. DO NOT attempt to manually twist the spinner wheels, you stand a high probability of damaging the motor in the Parking Brake.
Thank you for the HOW TO Duane. This is a great community!
The following users liked this post:
chandanYOGI (01-07-2021)
Old 12-29-2020 | 10:33 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Problem explained and issue resolved in 16 mins. This place is priceless!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by spiderv6:
daddiomk2 (12-30-2020), Tay101 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020 | 11:04 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Thank you for the HOW TO Duane. This is a great community!
You are most welcome! Almost all cars that have electric parking brakes will experience this. Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche, etc. You will be told you must take it to the dealer or a shop with a speciality computer to run the parking brake back and they will charge you accordingly, at least an hour of shop time if not two. But now you see you can do these easily using this method.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
chandanYOGI (01-07-2021), IrocMan (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020 | 01:44 PM
polobai
Drifting

Did you run your electric parking brake back when doing the new brakes? If not, you probably will have to. Pull the rear wheel where the parking brake is located, separate the electrical plug that goes to the parking brake. You will see two prongs there. Using a 12v spare battery, energize the motor with two jumper wires. It will now run either forward or back. You want it to run back, so swap the leads if it goes in the other direction. Once you have it run back, you're done. Bolt the wheel back on and drive, the parking brake will self-adjust. If you don't have a spare 12v battery around in a motorcycle or lawn mower, etc., you can possible try a common 9v battery, it may have enough juice for the push (I have not done that as I always have 12v batteries around). You don't need a program, or a computer, it's very simple to do. DO NOT attempt to manually twist the spinner wheels, you stand a high probability of damaging the motor in the Parking Brake.
To add, a drill battery (12/14v, etc) also works for tasks like this. Great information @drcollie
Old 12-29-2020 | 02:25 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Clarification. If changing pads with parking brake off, do I need to reset parking brake?

if changing pads and rotors with parking brake off, do I need to reset parking brake?

Changed between track pads and street pads several times and zero issue. Just curious since park brake sits on inside of rotor and not engaging rotors.
thanks.
Old 12-29-2020 | 03:21 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Correct me if I'm wrong.

This can all be done with various scan tools as well like icarsoft.

Correct?
Old 12-30-2020 | 03:53 AM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing this info. I'm about to do the brakes on the C4S and was wondering if I'd need to worry about the electric brake... problem solved in advance, thanks !!
Old 01-01-2021 | 09:16 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Correct me if I'm wrong.

This can all be done with various scan tools as well like icarsoft.

Correct?
I think my Autel Maxicheck MX808 has a parking brake calibration function.

Also, check out these vids on E-brake calibration. A bit more complex than just running the motor back to one extreme:
https://www.iscantech.com/2020/08/21...t-calibration/

Last edited by DHL; 01-01-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2021 | 09:56 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Correct me if I'm wrong. This can all be done with various scan tools as well like icarsoft. Correct?
I have that option on my icarsoft, but I've tried it many times and I always get an error message that says "Unable to complete function" or something like that. It measures the shoe gap just fine, though.

Quick Reply: Calibrating Parking Brake after new Rotors and Pads?