991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 S Cabriolet (2014) Depreciation on Trade In

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020 | 10:36 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

that’s better than most new cars for sure.
it’s also why i like to buy like new cars a few years old as the performance on depreciation is even better...
i appreciate those who polish and don’t drive their porsches so i can buy them and drive them! Thank you!
but
Worse is adding up receipts from a year with 40 track days
or the cost of your 71 engine build

Old 12-30-2020 | 10:48 PM
rickstd
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm in sales and own a retail store, but dislike selling my own high-end cars to private individuals because of all the crappy experiences I've had doing so. For basic vehicles like a F-150, a Mazda, even an older Audi - it's fine, and I do those myself. For premium cars, it's a different story. Buyers are all so suspicious that they are about to be taken to the cleaners that they are too jumpy to buy the vehicle unless it has been blessed with the Dealer Holy Water.

* "Scan in all the service records and sent them to me. What's your Service Advisors name so I can call him?"
* "Why are you selling it without an extended warranty?"
* "I want a PPI done on it, will you take half a day and go to the dealer - wait around in their lobby while they do it - and then get that to me?" (I'll pay for the PPI).
* "What are the max rev readings and frequency of them from the DME? If you don't know, can you take it somewhere are have the codes pulled?"
* "You do your own oil services and plug changes and belts? Are you factory certified? How do you know you did them correctly, can you prove it?"
* "I have all the wholesale auction prices for the past 6 months and your car is over-priced, how can you justify your asking price?"

And then there is the dreaded test drive. Joe Racer wants to try out the Porsche / BMW / Aston Martin. Not an unreasonable request of course but they get on the road and floor it to redline up to 120 mph with me in the car, then show me what a great driver they are by pretending they know how to corner the thing on a twisty road with their ham-handed moves while I'm praying they don't put us in the ditch. And after the test drive they say "That was great! I'll pay you $ 10,000 less than your ask, that's all its worth to me".

No, it's just easier to get the trade in price, let the dealer bless the car and CPO it, and I'll take the hit. Last Aston Martin I owned I got so tired of dealing with wannabes calling on it with no success over a 60-day period, I wound up selling it back to the local Aston Martin dealer. The irony is that the dealer gave me $ 6,000 more than my price I had it advertised at. He sold it in two days.

They said my 991 that I traded in would be sold in a week, it took them three days. Fast. But whoever bought it will be happy as it has a CPO warranty on it, and it was "gone over" by the dealer (Ha! There was nothing to go over, that car was 100%). So that's why I don't try to sell high end cars myself - only the middling ones. I've owned a lot of pickup trucks, they usually take just 10 minutes to sell.
lol

As a recent buyer that sounds familiar. I had a PPI done and they missed several things and what they did suggest was wrong (e.g., tires were not as old as they said). Trade it in and don’t look back.
Old 12-30-2020 | 10:54 PM
ClickClickBoom
Instructor

BTW you got a great trade in value. Right at or above Manheim numbers. Normally trades are below allowing a 'cushion' for the dealer to wholesale if need be.
Old 12-30-2020 | 11:57 PM
Sub
Racer

You never really know the details of a deal. They may have taken some off the new car and added it to the trade - helps with taxes and makes the buyer feel good. That seems like a really solid trade in price, but what did they give you off the new car?! If the answer is only a few K, then the trade was probably not that great.
Old 12-31-2020 | 12:05 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sub
You never really know the details of a deal. They may have taken some off the new car and added it to the trade - helps with taxes and makes the buyer feel good. That seems like a really solid trade in price, but what did they give you off the new car?! If the answer is only a few K, then the trade was probably not that great.
No sales tax benefit in Virginia, that's gone.

Trying to get a "deal" on a 2021 Cab S with a Manual Transmission is nearly impossible - they are not out there to buy and everyone knows it, you can find PDK's but not a three-pedal car. So they were full MSRP on it for the first two hours I was there! Finally - and I think they did it because I was just there in September and bought a new Macan S from them - they agreed to a $ 3,600 discount on a $ 159K car. You can pretty much toss all normal discounts out the window right now - there is a shortage of all Porsche sports cars - 911's, 718's and they sell as fast as they come in. Weird times for sure due to Covid. But the good news is the shortage of new cars is bringing up the prices on pre-owned ones.

Quick Reply: 991.1 S Cabriolet (2014) Depreciation on Trade In