Sport vs sport plus shifting when floored

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport vs sport plus shifting when floored

hi,

question on the difference in the modes, I will have to try tomorrow. When in full pushdown on accelerator, does the shifting In gears become more violent in sport plus vs any other modes comfort or sport?

i have gotten used to driving in sport with the winter and have to get back to sport plus mode..
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong
hi,

question on the difference in the modes, I will have to try tomorrow. When in full pushdown on accelerator, does the shifting In gears become more violent in sport plus vs any other modes comfort or sport?

i have gotten used to driving in sport with the winter and have to get back to sport plus mode..
I have a 991.2 and yes, the shifts in Sport Plus will thump under heavy load. Not sure if it was for our enjoyment or actually necessary.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 PM
SG1214
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shifts in sport plus are definitley more violent but exhaust doesnt make rifle crack sound between shifts.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Thump in the back is another fake "sporty" thing Porsche programmed in, like the extended flatulence when you lift off the throttle. The dynamic engine mounts creates the lurch feeling. I don't like it. It's unnecessary and on the track, when I'm already sliding the car around, I don't like the jerky feeling when pulling a paddle.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:10 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, not required but programmed in to fool us into thinking it’s shifting faster....it’s not.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:40 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

No. Not if you are skilled with the third pedal.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (12-23-2020)
Old 05-17-2018, 06:38 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SG1214
Shifts in sport plus are definitley more violent but exhaust doesnt make rifle crack sound between shifts.
On the .1, it should make the same fire crack sound between shifts in Sport or Sport+. I believe only the .2 Sport+ doesn't make the crackles.

Anyone know if the "thump" engineered into the Sport+ shifts are harder on the tranny? Especially or even if superfluous?

I'm usually in Sport+ and manually shifting when driving for sport. Shifts do seem faster and I get the benefits of the dynamic engine mounts which will further enhance handling.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:11 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The reason for the thump in Sport Plus is that the ECU doesn't back off the engine's torque like it does in the other modes. You can feel it in 997.2 models as well, before dynamic engine mounts were in the Carrera models, so those aren't the cause although they certainly would make it even more apparent.

Here are the published reasons Porsche provides for the stiffer shifts in the different modes from Porsche's Technik Introduction manual section addressing the PDK:
---------------
Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport and Sport Plus button not active.
When the selector lever is moved to position “D”, an extremely intelligent driving program is activated. Shifting adapts continuously and almost seamlessly to the driving style and route profile over the entire operating range. Gearshifts and gear changing speeds here are changed from economic/comfortable to sporty. Gearshifts are essentially performed with more emphasis on comfort. Also for improved comfort, the engine torque is reduced during upshifts and downshifts.
Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with very little intermediate throttle application and are therefore hardly audible. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear

Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport active
An extremely intelligent driving program is also activated in this position and shifting adapts continuously and almost seamlessly to the driving style and route profile over the entire operating range. Basic sportiness is increased with faster pick-up and slower deceleration. Gearshifts are more performance-oriented and the engine torque is only reduced slightly during upshifts and downshifts.
Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with intermediate throttle application and are therefore audible. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear. 7th gear is avoided for the most part and is engaged only at higher speeds.

Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport Plus active
Shift map adaptations are not active in this program. The most sporty map is activated permanently. Gearshifts are performance-oriented with reduced gearshift comfort. Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with intermediate throttle application and are thus very audible. Gearshifts are performance-oriented and the engine torque is not reduced during upshifts and downshifts. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear. 7th gear is not available. The racing start function is available.

-----------
It doesn't appear the harder shifting is going to do any harm to a PDK. There is a video of a guy taking a Turbo S out and doing 50 back-to-back Sport Plus launch-mode runs with a PDK. The car never showed any ill effects (although the driver starting getting sick from the repeated G's). If a Turbo S PDK can withstand 50 launches in a row with the massive torque of that engine, I can't see how a little torque bump during Sport Plus shifts in our mere Carreras could lead to problems. The PDK has been around long enough now that such a problem would be well known.
The following 5 users liked this post by StormRune:
EvilBoffin (12-22-2020), Fullyield (12-23-2020), Jimmyk79 (12-30-2020), marcnyc (12-22-2020), Miatavi (06-23-2023)
Old 05-17-2018, 07:55 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good post and explanation. There is nothing “fake” about it.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:21 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Perhaps not "fake" but not required to be jerky and lurch either. Although slightly different PDK, full throttle shifts on the GT3 are smooth not jerky.
What do they say in racing? Smooth is fast?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Chris Harris complained about this. Skilled drivers like Mr Harris all know smoother is faster. The fact Porsche still feels compelled to do something they know is wrong can only mean they know their market. The only solution therefore is more skilled drivers.
Not that I'm holding my breath. Just telling it like it is.
George from MD (12-22-2020)
Old 05-18-2018, 09:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Are you guys talking about auto shifts? I find in manual mode, Sport+ shifts are plenty smooth, though I haven’t exactly shifted while flooring it. I find I kind of want even more of a hard “shift kick” as a sensation element, though know that means more “gimmick” and less fast, as well maybe harder on the tranny.

I find my Sport+ shifts extremely fast and crisp, not jerky at all. In manual mode.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:42 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

K-A - do you find that manual shifts in Sport + are noticeably faster than in normal mode? How much difference from Sport to Sport + manually shifting. I am considering getting a Sport mode software upgrade from Porsche (OEM) which gives a car without SC the sport and sport+ buttons. The reason I want that upgrade is for track use - and I want to shift manually. Once I drive in sport + on a track will I ever want to go back to normal mode for track? Is the upgrade worth it for a track car?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,222 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
The reason for the thump in Sport Plus is that the ECU doesn't back off the engine's torque like it does in the other modes. You can feel it in 997.2 models as well, before dynamic engine mounts were in the Carrera models, so those aren't the cause although they certainly would make it even more apparent.

Here are the published reasons Porsche provides for the stiffer shifts in the different modes from Porsche's Technik Introduction manual section addressing the PDK:
---------------
Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport and Sport Plus button not active.
When the selector lever is moved to position “D”, an extremely intelligent driving program is activated. Shifting adapts continuously and almost seamlessly to the driving style and route profile over the entire operating range. Gearshifts and gear changing speeds here are changed from economic/comfortable to sporty. Gearshifts are essentially performed with more emphasis on comfort. Also for improved comfort, the engine torque is reduced during upshifts and downshifts.
Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with very little intermediate throttle application and are therefore hardly audible. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear

Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport active
An extremely intelligent driving program is also activated in this position and shifting adapts continuously and almost seamlessly to the driving style and route profile over the entire operating range. Basic sportiness is increased with faster pick-up and slower deceleration. Gearshifts are more performance-oriented and the engine torque is only reduced slightly during upshifts and downshifts.
Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with intermediate throttle application and are therefore audible. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear. 7th gear is avoided for the most part and is engaged only at higher speeds.

Driving in selector-lever position “D”, Sport Plus active
Shift map adaptations are not active in this program. The most sporty map is activated permanently. Gearshifts are performance-oriented with reduced gearshift comfort. Downshifts in deceleration state and deceleration downshifts are accomplished with intermediate throttle application and are thus very audible. Gearshifts are performance-oriented and the engine torque is not reduced during upshifts and downshifts. The vehicle moves off in 1st gear. 7th gear is not available. The racing start function is available.

-----------
It doesn't appear the harder shifting is going to do any harm to a PDK. There is a video of a guy taking a Turbo S out and doing 50 back-to-back Sport Plus launch-mode runs with a PDK. The car never showed any ill effects (although the driver starting getting sick from the repeated G's). If a Turbo S PDK can withstand 50 launches in a row with the massive torque of that engine, I can't see how a little torque bump during Sport Plus shifts in our mere Carreras could lead to problems. The PDK has been around long enough now that such a problem would be well known.
Excellent post and thank you for reminding us of the Technik info. I agree that a torque bump during Sport Plus shifts should not lead to problems. But I have watched the 50 launches by Turbo S video. My only comment is that the PDK in the Turbo S did not suffer a catastrophic loss during the video. One cannot say that the PDK was not damaged however. Launch control causes increased heat in the clutch oil which the system can handle once or twice. Launch control 50 times put sustained excessive heat into the clutch packs and clutch oil. At a minimum, I expect that if caused a breakdown of the clutch oil. The Cobb Accessport has the ability to monitor PDK oil temp in live data. I wish the 50 launch video had tracked PDK oil temp after each launch so we could compare oil temp after launch 1 to oil temp after launch 2.

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-23-2020 at 08:23 AM. Reason: After launch 50
Miatavi (06-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2020, 08:47 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong
hi,

if you are talking about the violent torque between shifts in sport +, i feel it most during mid throttle acceleration. when my pedal is floored while i'm shifting at the track, i don't feel that oomph at all. that oomph doesn't exist outside of sport + mode because i believe the computer either manipulates the throttle or slips the clutch alittle to give you a smoother shift. sport + does not do that, which i why i believe you feel the oomph, most prominently during shifts in mid throttle acceleration, but when you are shifting in full gas max rev situations at the track, the car is butter soft, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Sport vs sport plus shifting when floored