991.2 Online map updates problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 11:50 PM
simaservis1108
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Its not Porsche only,its Audi & Bentley also...
The following users liked this post:
Muzchap (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 12:44 PM
Muzchap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting this as just paid for Porsche online updates including map updates on a 2016 991.2 - as I need the map updated to reflect the recent road changes around here and it just sits on searching.

Porsche handover has been done and tracker etc are all working perfectly, just maps is not working.

My account doesn't seem to allow me to send PMs

But interested to hear about the offline map update 👍
Old 06-22-2021, 03:13 PM
stefantomas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am having the same issue - it just never gets off searching for updates...
Muzchap (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:34 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by stefantomas
I am having the same issue - it just never gets off searching for updates...
I had that problem when google earth stopped working. When it resumed working (briefly), I was also able to do my map update. Of course, shortly thereafter google earth stopped working again.

I wonder if the issue is related?
Muzchap (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:37 PM
Muzchap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I had that problem when google earth stopped working. When it resumed working (briefly), I was also able to do my map update. Of course, shortly thereafter google earth stopped working again.

Hmm good shout will have to check that. 👍
Old 07-09-2021, 06:54 PM
pietpara
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane

I have the same issues with my panamera 971.2 and my 911 991.2. No google earth or satelite nor map updates are working.
Dealer has no solution.
Rediculous!
Old 10-19-2021, 12:56 PM
markostamcar
AutoX

Originally Posted by AlexOz
Hi all, I posted this in the GT3RS forum, but nobody there had the answer. Maybe a kind soul here can help?

All the online Porsche Connect services in my 2019 GT3RS work fine, except map updates. The PCM shows me that there are 2020 updates, lets me select my regions, and start the download. And then nothing happens: the little download symbol appears on the PCM footer, but the download reports 0 B/S and stays there. I've tried it using the embedded SIM internet connection, including driving to a strong signal area. I've also turned off the PCM 'phone, which allows me to use my home wifi instead.

I called Porsche Support and they sent me an email suggesting that I hard reset the PCM and do a Vehicle Handover. The problem is that the hard reset procedure is for an older/different PCM, involving holding down the INFO button for 10 seconds. The 991.2 GT3RS doesn't have an INFO button. All my online searches for PCM reset describe the INFO button. I tried holding down various other buttons; nada. I did the Vehicle Handover anyway, with no result.

Any ideas please? Many thanks!
@AlexOz @stefantomas did you have any luck sorting this out?
I have owned a 991.2 turbo for 5 years now and in the free period OTA map updates worked great. I have paid for the subscription a month ago and encountered the same issue as you - map updates are available,
but the download never starts (stays at "Downloading package 1 of 2 (0 B/s)" forever). Other Connect services work. At first we thought it was a PCM 4.0 software issue and my service updated it to the latest
(MHI2_ER_POG11_K5176 1452) - this fixed the well known Google Earth loading issue but the map update still won't work I have reached out to various Porsche Germany contacts and so far the most promising
is that the issue should be fixed by November 2021 (in 1-2 weeks from now). However it's worrying that for some these issues go back months/years :O

Last edited by markostamcar; 10-19-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Curvfun (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 01:30 PM
stefantomas
Intermediate

I got a guy on here to remotely update my maps to 2021 version. all good now. I have zero confidence Porsche will ever sort it out...
Old 10-19-2021, 01:32 PM
markostamcar
AutoX

Thanks for the info. I will insist they sort out this (most likely) server issue before resorting to DIY - will post updates in this thread.
Curvfun (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 04:03 PM
AlexOz
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by markostamcar
@AlexOz @stefantomas did you have any luck sorting this out?
I have owned a 991.2 turbo for 5 years now and in the free period OTA map updates worked great. I have paid for the subscription a month ago and encountered the same issue as you - map updates are available,
but the download never starts (stays at "Downloading package 1 of 2 (0 B/s)" forever). Other Connect services work. At first we thought it was a PCM 4.0 software issue and my service updated it to the latest
(MHI2_ER_POG11_K5176 1452) - this fixed the well known Google Earth loading issue but the map update still won't work I have reached out to various Porsche Germany contacts and so far the most promising
is that the issue should be fixed by November 2021 (in 1-2 weeks from now). However it's worrying that for some these issues go back months/years :O
I wouldn't say that I got it sorted out, but it just started working after a few weeks of trying. Porsche support called me every 2-3 days to apologize and tell me that they're working on it. I've had other similar experiences with the support line with other Porsche cars: in every case, they're very responsive and friendly but don't appear to have effective escalation paths to actually solve problems. Porsche's online offerings are, well, not up to par, and their server infrastructure, which seems to be shared with Audi and maybe VW, isn't a shining example of reliability. What I think solved my problem was the server back-end finally coming back online. HTH!
Old 10-20-2021, 06:32 AM
markostamcar
AutoX

Thx for the info! I will post updates in this thread if something develops.
Curvfun (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 04:01 PM
pietpara
Advanced

My dealer reports the same in the Netherlands... porsche is working on a solution for the updating of maps. The Google earth issue was resolved after a PCM update, which BTW is now quite different in the UI in some aspects. Not all good imho. E.g. Slightly better graphics but no more 'online search' widget for the home screen which i used to use a lot.
All this BS took the car 3 visits to the dealer already, and still no maps.
They offer to install maps from SD card at the dealer for free, when i asked for a refund on the subscription for the online services.
in the end, all this gadgetry in your car only causes trouble as all this tech is in its infancy and outdates really fast. Wish it were an option to configure cars without touchscreens and infotainment systems etc.

cheers
markostamcar (10-21-2021)
Old 11-09-2021, 03:06 PM
stefantomas
Intermediate

got an email today regarding the issue I had logged with porsche:

I hope you’re well.

I have received a response from Porsche AG in relation to the incident that they have been working to resolve. The Technical Department have advised that they have found a resolve for the issue and the vehicle will now need to visit a Porsche Centre for the lifetime activation of the software update to be completed through the required plug in tool.
Old 11-09-2021, 04:39 PM
markostamcar
AutoX

Thanks for the info, please keep us posted! The promised server-side fix that I was promised for beginning of November has not come yet.
I wonder what they're going to do to your vehicle since all signs point to a server-side issue and not an Infotainment unit SW issue...
Old 11-11-2021, 01:29 PM
marino r
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stefantomas
got an email today regarding the issue I had logged with porsche:

I hope you’re well.

I have received a response from Porsche AG in relation to the incident that they have been working to resolve. The Technical Department have advised that they have found a resolve for the issue and the vehicle will now need to visit a Porsche Centre for the lifetime activation of the software update to be completed through the required plug in tool.
Here in Italy got similar e-mail from Porsche yesterday, which says that a sw upgrade will be needed at a porsche center.
I scheduled it for November 25th. And they also told me about a "Lifetime" updating of the maps ...

Mah...

Quick Reply: 991.2 Online map updates problem