Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Database PPI cars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020 | 03:40 PM
uphoto
Pro

Default Database PPI cars?

With how small the market is when it comes to buying used Porsche's, has there been anybody who has tried making a database of cars that have been inspected and were passed on?

I would think this would be of huge value so that other members don't spend money on a PPI when somebody else just had one done a few days before. Everyone has different requirements or expectations on what is acceptable as an issue or flaw that is recognized from a PPI, so one person's "pass" might be another's "buy".

Or if somebody finds a car with massive issues, it might be nice to record that VIN in a database so that others don't waste money on getting another PPI. Or do people even pass on cars with bad PPI? Do they usually just buy it anyway after negotiating the price to fix the problem?

I'm ignorant to google spreadsheets but I'm sure even I could make one up that is public (or if somebody knows it better can help), that's if people are interested in such a thing. Or is there one already that I'm not aware of?

What do you guys think? Could be for all Porsches not just 991's
Old 12-19-2020 | 04:02 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

There is something similar in the 997 GT3 cars for sale thread in that forum. Basically members post VIN, miles, price, anything else they notice. If someone does a PPI or finds something out about the car, they will typically post the VIN along with that information as well. When you Google the VIN later you'll find the post and possibly be saved a PPI.

I think putting this sort of information in a thread similar to the Hot For Sale thread would be a good move.
Old 12-19-2020 | 04:35 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
With how small the market is when it comes to buying used Porsche's, has there been anybody who has tried making a database of cars that have been inspected and were passed on?

I would think this would be of huge value so that other members don't spend money on a PPI when somebody else just had one done a few days before. Everyone has different requirements or expectations on what is acceptable as an issue or flaw that is recognized from a PPI, so one person's "pass" might be another's "buy".

Or if somebody finds a car with massive issues, it might be nice to record that VIN in a database so that others don't waste money on getting another PPI. Or do people even pass on cars with bad PPI? Do they usually just buy it anyway after negotiating the price to fix the problem?

I'm ignorant to google spreadsheets but I'm sure even I could make one up that is public (or if somebody knows it better can help), that's if people are interested in such a thing. Or is there one already that I'm not aware of?

What do you guys think? Could be for all Porsches not just 991's
Sounds good.

Would you buy a car that had a PPI done by someone you don’t know? It could save you a few hundred bucks but you then you take on some risk. What if PPI was done 3 months ago? Is it still valid? I would say no since the seller could have had some issues in that time period.

Sounds like the thread mentioned above is posting issues in cars that were seriously considered for purchase.

Quick Reply: Database PPI cars?