Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Audio Upgrades by Rennspec

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 05:38 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,205 Likes on 727 Posts

Wondering if Rennspec could put together a recommended package - Better, Even Better, Best with cost in mind and Basic, Improved, Ultimate with sound in mind. Of course the idea is to provide the "newbie" with your expertise in speaker selection and getting better sound with your offerings based on price point. Don't know, but maybe some different speaker combinations would match up nicely. For example:

Basic Better - might be just replace the tweeters with lowest cost of what they offer.
Basic Improved - just replace tweeters but with a mid range cost.

Improved Better - maybe replace the tweeter and midrange with lower cost
Improved Even Better - replace tweeter, center and midrange with moderate cost
The following 5 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
bms0918 (12-07-2020), EvilBoffin (11-29-2020), Rennspec.com (11-28-2020), Texas Porsche (12-17-2020), Thinc2 (11-30-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 06:46 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Cool stuff! Currently have the musicar tweeters on a Bose system with the center dash speaker disconnected. What would be a logical next step up from here? Upgrade just the mids and see how that sounds? Seems like the Bose woofer is decent and less bang for the buck there.
Sound deadening material in the doors. Then reassess.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carl Over:
Rennspec.com (11-28-2020), The Boz Abides (07-23-2021)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Cool stuff! Currently have the musicar tweeters on a Bose system with the center dash speaker disconnected. What would be a logical next step up from here? Upgrade just the mids and see how that sounds? Seems like the Bose woofer is decent and less bang for the buck there.
Yes, mids would be a reasonable next step. Swapping out the center could be an option as well, but it's not the end of the world if you just leave the Bose center disconnected.

As Carl mentioned, adding some sound deadening to the doors can help tidy things up as well.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Wondering if Rennspec could put together a recommended package - Better, Even Better, Best with cost in mind and Basic, Improved, Ultimate with sound in mind. Of course the idea is to provide the "newbie" with your expertise in speaker selection and getting better sound with your offerings based on price point. Don't know, but maybe some different speaker combinations would match up nicely. For example:

Basic Better - might be just replace the tweeters with lowest cost of what they offer.
Basic Improved - just replace tweeters but with a mid range cost.

Improved Better - maybe replace the tweeter and midrange with lower cost
Improved Even Better - replace tweeter, center and midrange with moderate cost
Good idea! We'll see if we can put something like this together.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rennspec.com:
EvilBoffin (11-29-2020), MiguelS (12-31-2020), Texas Porsche (12-17-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:45 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Over
Sound deadening material in the doors. Then reassess.
cool great idea. Have material and so will do that. If I wanted to do mids which would be recommended of the rennspec options to go with the musicar tweeters and Bose woofers? If I’m reading the spreadsheet right I’d need 4 mids total?
The following users liked this post:
Rennspec.com (11-29-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

cool great idea. Have material and so will do that. If I wanted to do mids which would be recommended of the rennspec options to go with the musicar tweeters and Bose woofers? If I’m reading the spreadsheet right I’d need 4 mids total?
Bose mids are listed as 2 ohms. These could be an option. The Voce is listed as 4 ohms. Someone else can chime in they for see any issues based on this difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Carl Over:
Rennspec.com (11-29-2020), Texas Porsche (12-17-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:20 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

These are listed as 4 ohms also.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Carl Over
Instructor

Dynaudio Esotan MF 171 MKII Midrange Kit

• Features: Diaphragm design: 3in diameter MSP, Impedance: (4±15%)Ω at 3550Hz, DC resistance: (3.6±15%)Ω, Measured characteristic sensitivity/1m: (86±3) dBSPL, Recommended frequency range: 160~14kHz, Nominal long-term IEC: 120W, Transient: 1000W, Net weight: 0.5kg, and Overall dimensions: 100 x 56.8mm.

Not much price difference between the price 3 Rennspec offerings. Maybe the more affordable Dynaudio option would be a good since your tweeters are Dynaudio?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:13 AM
DR.S
Banned

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

@rennspec
​​​​​why is the tweeter upgrade not offered for the 981?
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

This is a great idea and about time someone came up with a solution for plug and play.

The biggest problem with these 991 systems is the amp and this is the one area that isnt being addressed. Probably because it isnt so easy and not just a plug and play for the DIY'er.
You can improve the stock system significantly with better speakers, but if you don't change the amp you will never have the power, lack of distortion or clarity you need for great sound.

Make a system that incorporates an amp for those looking to transform the sound into top quality and keep the plug and play speaker kits for those that just want moderate to good improvement.
For most people, changing the speakers (and sound deadening) will be more than enough and far better than the Burmester at a fraction of the cost. But, even the Burmester is lacking to audiophiles.
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS-BRG:
diggiddi (03-14-2021), Rennspec.com (11-29-2020), stout (04-05-2021), Texas Porsche (12-17-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:08 PM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Yes, there are 4 mids which are all the same Bose PN. I believe the 2 rear mids are wired/tuned for more of a rear fill effect, so most of the meaningful sound is going to come from the front pair.

You can replace all 4 with the same speaker, or considering going with a nicer pair like the Esotar 430 in the front and then maybe the Esotan or Audison in the rear.
Originally Posted by Carl Over
Bose mids are listed as 2 ohms. These could be an option. The Voce is listed as 4 ohms. Someone else can chime in they for see any issues based on this difference.
Generally, it's considered safe to go up in Ohms. This simply means the speaker has more resistance and will pull a bit less power from the amp.

Originally Posted by DR.S
@rennspec
​​​​​why is the tweeter upgrade not offered for the 981?
Great question!

Porsche uses the same speakers in most of their current cars, so there is quite a bit of overlap in the what sizes fit in which vehicles. There is some variation, so for example the while the 991 will support the 8" and 10" Dynaudio woofers, the Cayenne has less available depth so the only options would be the 8" Audison or 6.5" Dynaudio.

Then there are some applications like the Cayman (and Panamera/Taycan) where we just don't have enough experience to say which speakers will fit in all locations. The mounting holes and wiring are consistent, so there is a good chance the tweeters will work - but there could be other factors which may have an impact.

Happy to chat further about options here, so feel free to drop me a PM.

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
This is a great idea and about time someone came up with a solution for plug and play.

The biggest problem with these 991 systems is the amp and this is the one area that isnt being addressed. Probably because it isnt so easy and not just a plug and play for the DIY'er.
You can improve the stock system significantly with better speakers, but if you don't change the amp you will never have the power, lack of distortion or clarity you need for great sound.

Make a system that incorporates an amp for those looking to transform the sound into top quality and keep the plug and play speaker kits for those that just want moderate to good improvement.
For most people, changing the speakers (and sound deadening) will be more than enough and far better than the Burmester at a fraction of the cost. But, even the Burmester is lacking to audiophiles.
​​Thanks!

We may look at doing something with amplification down the road. Lots of options to explore.
Texas Porsche (12-17-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 12:17 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

using esotar drivers with stock amps is absurd, will not do them justice. esotan drivers maybe, but definately not the esotar or even the esotec.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:22 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

Christian, I agree with you. There is only so high quality a speaker you can realistically install without changing the Amps. At some point the premium speakers are overkill and unnecessary if you cant drive them cleanly.
However, there is a lot of room for improvement over the stock speakers (absolute junk) where you can retain the factory amp and get significant improvements.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:26 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Christian, I agree with you. There is only so high quality a speaker you can realistically install without changing the Amps. At some point the premium speakers are overkill and unnecessary if you cant drive them cleanly.
However, there is a lot of room for improvement over the stock speakers (absolute junk) where you can retain the factory amp and get significant improvements.
you can replace with a lot of speakers in the $75-$150 range per driver, but selling an esotar driver with a stock bose amp is just being a salesman making a dollar IMO, esotar is the best of the best and what i use in my cars, they are stunning drivers when used with the right gear and that gear is not bose
Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Rennspec.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ChristianR
using esotar drivers with stock amps is absurd, will not do them justice. esotan drivers maybe, but definately not the esotar or even the esotec.
​​​​​Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but in many cases car audio is done in phases. The Dynaudio mids will sound dramatically better than the Bose (even with the stock amp), and would also be well-suited if an aftermarket amp was added down the road.

We have tried to lay out various options at different price points on our site to accommodate the varying goals and enthusiasm levels people have for upgrades.

Thanks for the feedback though.
964-50 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 02:03 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm not a pro but I have had good results using the Infinity Kappa tweeters in different Bose systems, never had a problem and they don't break the bank. They are 2 ohms with 93 db which do very well with the Bose amp

Waiting for the new ones to come out, just need to figure out how to install them

Some Info:

Infinity Kappa 10.11t
  • 3/4" soft dome tweeters
  • 2-ohm impedance
  • flush- and surface-mount hardware included
  • Starfish™ bracket for mounting in factory tweeter locations
  • outboard computer-optimized crossovers
  • power handling: 5-50 watts RMS (150 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 3,500-35,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 93 dB
  • flush-mount depth: 3/4"
  • warranty: 3 years

Quick Reply: 991 Audio Upgrades by Rennspec