Sponsored by:

Cincinnati (SW Ohio) PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020 | 02:22 PM
bms0918
Rennlist Member

Default Cincinnati (SW Ohio) PPF?

HI All,

I finally pulled the trigger on a new (to me) 991.1 C2S. I've owned it about a week now and am thrilled with it. Everything on the car is fantastic mechanically so I'm going to get a few things squared away cosmetically this winter. The paint is in great condition but has the usual stone chips. I'd love to hear who people in SW Ohio/Cincinnati have used for paint correction and paint protection film I'd love to go with XPEL but only because its the one I've read most about. Thanks in advance!

The following 2 users liked this post by bms0918:
BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020), poorshoeless (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 02:36 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

In that part of the country, please contact Todd and the crew at Esoteric Detail in New Albany, OH. You won't find a more professional shop in that area for sure...............Good Luck

Tom in Reno
The following 3 users liked this post by tmarino:
bms0918 (11-25-2020), BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020), Esoteric_Detail (01-15-2021)
Old 11-25-2020 | 02:55 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by tmarino
In that part of the country, please contact Todd and the crew at Esoteric Detail in New Albany, OH. You won't find a more professional shop in that area for sure...............Good Luck

Tom in Reno
This. We had one car done completely with STEK PPF there in April 2019 and it came out beautifully. Sending the Cayman down this Winter to be completely wrapped with STEK as well.

When doing PPF, WHO is doing the install is far, far more important than WHAT they are installing; quality shops used quality materials.

If you'd like to see some pics and notes from our April 2019 install, I kept some notes here about the install, things I thought about and how it's been living with it for 2 Summers now: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/li...ek-dynoshield/

Edit: We live in Cleveland and coulda gone local I guess but I knew WHO was gonna be doing install before I knew what they'd be installing. They are also a Rennlist Supporting Vendor so ya got that going for ya too.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 11-25-2020 at 06:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Esoteric_Detail (01-15-2021), tmarino (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 04:58 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
This. We had one car done completely with STEK PPF there in April 2019 and it came out beautifully. Sending the Cayman down this Winter to be completely wrapped with STEK as well.

When doing PPF, WHO is doing the install is far, far more important than WHAT they are installing; quality shops used quality materials.

If you'd like to see some pics and notes from our April 2019 install, I kept some notes here about the install, things I thought about and how it's been living with it for 2 Summers now: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/li...ek-dynoshield/

Edit: We sent car down from Cleveland to have the work done. I knew WHO was gonna be doing install before I knew what they'd be installing. They are also a Rennlist Supporting Vendor so ya got that going for ya too.
Just curious as I'm also in Cleveland, do you transport it down there? Or drive it down there? If you transport it, who do you use. I will be replacing the PPF on mine in the next couple of years.

I did see someone mention the following company as well on Rennlist. They appear to have positive reviews and also their own trailer.

https://www.clearbraohio.com
Old 11-25-2020 | 06:40 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Just curious as I'm also in Cleveland, do you transport it down there? Or drive it down there? If you transport it, who do you use. I will be replacing the PPF on mine in the next couple of years.

I did see someone mention the following company as well on Rennlist. They appear to have positive reviews and also their own trailer.

https://www.clearbraohio.com
For the Corvette, we actually drove it there ourselves as we purchased it at a dealer in Delaware, OH...about 45 minutes from Esoteric...so that was kinda easy and the mid-March delivery date had nice weather. We picked it up and drove it home after Esoteric finished it ourselves as the weather had broke by then in late April. Had we not been able to either drop off, pick it up due to weather they (Esoteric) would have reccomended/arranged transport thru one of their preferred transporters. Figr'd they knew far more about reliable transport than I did since they're always having cars transported in and out from all over the country.

The Cayman we're sending down this Winter will likely need transport due it being the middle of Winter and I'll gladly let them advise me who/when/where to deal with transport as I dunno nuthin' about that stuff...and if they know how to get Pagani's and other exotics in and out of their shop/area safely that's good enough for me. Left to my own devices I'd probably end up with a guy in a pickup truck and a boat trailer showing up asking where the car he's gonna transport is 😄

I really can't speak to any other shops and their work, I'm sure there are some great PPF places out there. For me, though, once I decided for sure on PPF I *knew* they were who I wanted to do it. I began pondering PPF about 8-12 months before car had arrived and had begun my due diligence by going to as many high-end car gatherings as I could, both here and in Columbus (they have an incredible car culture down there). I stared at the details of each PPF'd car I could find, looking at all levels of people's work and one day saw this just-completed PPF'd Corvette at Esoteric during a Cars & Coffee they hosted and I was sold on them doing the job.

Then again, I'm one of those detailing dorks who goes to a C & C at a detail shop and looks at the cars for a little bit but spends most of the time poking around the shop to see how things work, what might be handy. I took this pic of a masking tape dispenser while everyone else was looking at Ferrari's, Lambos, Porsches and Bugattis...I can be a little odd that way 🤔

Point being, I guess, depending on your level of OCD-ness, do your due diligence as best you can and for things you don't understand or have no background in (like transport for me, as an example) a good shop will be able to advise and reccomend, filling in those areas where you lack the knowledge to make the best decision. That's the value-added portion aside from the job itself.

Could I have had the job done cheaper somewhere else...probably so. Could someone else have done just as good of a job...perhaps. I didnt wanna mess this PPF stuff up though, a sub-par result (and experience) would be something that diminished the car in my eyes and a car that isn't a 110% joy to me each time i look and drive it really isnt as fun as it could be...and that would be depressing.

I probably think a bit too much about all of this stuff though... 😄

Old 11-25-2020 | 07:13 PM
bms0918
Rennlist Member

Two votes is a strong endorsement. Thanks @BudgetPlan1 and @tmarino . I’ll give them a call and make sure I mention the referral. BTW @BudgetPlan1 I think you and I would get along quite well. I love seeing the details, hearing how the shop does it and how the experts do what they do. I had my initial visit with Porsche of the Village here in Cincinnati this week and spent 90 minutes in the shop with the mechanic while he took me through the car and another 30 minutes just learning how the shop operates. When you find someone that’s as OCD as you are, that’s a number to keep.

Last edited by bms0918; 11-25-2020 at 07:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bms0918:
BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020), tmarino (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 08:01 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Schmidt
BTW @BudgetPlan1 I think you and I would get along quite well. I love seeing the details, hearing how the shop does it and how the experts do what they do. I had my initial visit with Porsche of the Village here in Cincinnati this week and spent 90 minutes in the shop with the mechanic while he took me through the car and another 30 minutes just learning how the shop operates. When you find someone that’s as OCD as you are, that’s a number to keep.
Yeah, sometimes others don't quite get the things we find fascinating...we need to stick together! 😄

Regardless of who you end up going with for PPF, if you're ever of the mind to head on up to Columbus some Summer Saturday lemme know. I usually head down from Cleveland for some events over the Summer, the real highlight being the Open House Esoteric hosts each Summer. It was cancelled this year due to 'world events' but it's a great way to peek behind the curtain.

I started going in 2017 and 2019 was absolutely extravagant. A but if a summary with some pics here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/20...19-open-house/

When they host an event, they REALLY host an event. 😱
The following users liked this post:
bms0918 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 08:09 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

For the Corvette, we actually drove it there ourselves as we purchased it at a dealer in Delaware, OH...about 45 minutes from Esoteric...so that was kinda easy and the mid-March delivery date had nice weather. We picked it up and drove it home after Esoteric finished it ourselves as the weather had broke by then in late April. Had we not been able to either drop off, pick it up due to weather they (Esoteric) would have reccomended/arranged transport thru one of their preferred transporters. Figr'd they knew far more about reliable transport than I did since they're always having cars transported in and out from all over the country.

The Cayman we're sending down this Winter will likely need transport due it being the middle of Winter and I'll gladly let them advise me who/when/where to deal with transport as I dunno nuthin' about that stuff...and if they know how to get Pagani's and other exotics in and out of their shop/area safely that's good enough for me. Left to my own devices I'd probably end up with a guy in a pickup truck and a boat trailer showing up asking where the car he's gonna transport is 😄

I really can't speak to any other shops and their work, I'm sure there are some great PPF places out there. For me, though, once I decided for sure on PPF I *knew* they were who I wanted to do it. I began pondering PPF about 8-12 months before car had arrived and had begun my due diligence by going to as many high-end car gatherings as I could, both here and in Columbus (they have an incredible car culture down there). I stared at the details of each PPF'd car I could find, looking at all levels of people's work and one day saw this just-completed PPF'd Corvette at Esoteric during a Cars & Coffee they hosted and I was sold on them doing the job.

Then again, I'm one of those detailing dorks who goes to a C & C at a detail shop and looks at the cars for a little bit but spends most of the time poking around the shop to see how things work, what might be handy. I took this pic of a masking tape dispenser while everyone else was looking at Ferrari's, Lambos, Porsches and Bugattis...I can be a little odd that way 🤔

Point being, I guess, depending on your level of OCD-ness, do your due diligence as best you can and for things you don't understand or have no background in (like transport for me, as an example) a good shop will be able to advise and reccomend, filling in those areas where you lack the knowledge to make the best decision. That's the value-added portion aside from the job itself.

Could I have had the job done cheaper somewhere else...probably so. Could someone else have done just as good of a job...perhaps. I didnt wanna mess this PPF stuff up though, a sub-par result (and experience) would be something that diminished the car in my eyes and a car that isn't a 110% joy to me each time i look and drive it really isnt as fun as it could be...and that would be depressing.

I probably think a bit too much about all of this stuff though... 😄
Great info and I always appreciate the detail in your posts. Yes, I've had PPF done on multiple cars locally, but I'm always looking for a better option. I've been down to Esoteric multiple times. Once back in 2013, then for when Obsessed Garage had his RS there getting wrapped. I've seen their work and it is phenomenal. My main concern is always the removal of the old PPF and not pulling paint. It is absolutely not common on original paint, but I removed paint once when removing film on a repainted panel and it is not a good feeling.

Originally Posted by Brian Schmidt
Two votes is a strong endorsement. Thanks @BudgetPlan1 and @tmarino . I’ll give them a call and make sure I mention the referral. BTW @BudgetPlan1 I think you and I would get along quite well. I love seeing the details, hearing how the shop does it and how the experts do what they do. I had my initial visit with Porsche of the Village here in Cincinnati this week and spent 90 minutes in the shop with the mechanic while he took me through the car and another 30 minutes just learning how the shop operates. When you find someone that’s as OCD as you are, that’s a number to keep.
I can also endorse their work. I've seen their work up close and it is top notch without a doubt. I'm very particular and I would trust their work.

Yeah, sometimes others don't quite get the things we find fascinating...we need to stick together! 😄

Regardless of who you end up going with for PPF, if you're ever of the mind to head on up to Columbus some Summer Saturday lemme know. I usually head down from Cleveland for some events over the Summer, the real highlight being the Open House Esoteric hosts each Summer. It was cancelled this year due to 'world events' but it's a great way to peek behind the curtain.

I started going in 2017 and 2019 was absolutely extravagant. A but if a summary with some pics here: https://budgetplan1.wordpress.com/20...19-open-house/

When they host an event, they REALLY host an event. 😱
I'll have to message you in the spring when you're heading down to the Open House. I'm also in Cleveland, so if I decide to go next year, I'll let you know. Would be cool to do the drive with another Porsche enthusiast.
BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 08:11 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

I'll need to keep an eye open on that open house for next summer as we usually head back to NW PA for birthdays although we missed year with all the unsafe travel. I won't be able to bring my 991.1 with me as I am NOT driving that car coast to coast. Maybe I can rent a Porsche in Pittsburgh to drive over.
Either way I am heading over there and will try to plan my travels around it. Thanks for the info.

Tom in Reno
BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 08:17 PM
BenDiem
Rennlist Member

OP,

if you want to stay local, call the service dept.at Porsche of the Village.
They used a facility in Milford, OH off RT. 50.
cheers/B
The following 2 users liked this post by BenDiem:
bms0918 (11-26-2020), BudgetPlan1 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020 | 08:36 PM
BudgetPlan1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I'll have to message you in the spring when you're heading down to the Open House. I'm also in Cleveland, so if I decide to go next year, I'll let you know. Would be cool to do the drive with another Porsche enthusiast.
Absolutely, would be great fun!

Originally Posted by tmarino
I'll need to keep an eye open on that open house for next summer as we usually head back to NW PA for birthdays although we missed year with all the unsafe travel. I won't be able to bring my 991.1 with me as I am NOT driving that car coast to coast. Maybe I can rent a Porsche in Pittsburgh to drive over.
Either way I am heading over there and will try to plan my travels around it. Thanks for the info.

Tom in Reno
That would be great at any time you find yourself in the vicinity!
Old 11-25-2020 | 11:59 PM
FlintGTS
Intermediate

Check out East Side Auto Spa in Cincinnati. They took care of my .2 GTS. Fantastic work. Have many friends that have used them as well for paint correction and PPF.
bms0918 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020 | 01:22 PM
bms0918
Rennlist Member

@BenDiem thank you! I had Porsche of the Village do the out-of-state vehicle inspection and go over the car once I brought it home....a more through purchase inspection. I was very, very impressed with the service team and especially Kyle, my service tech. He spent 90 minutes just taking me through the car while it was up on the lift. Cost? $3.50 fo the state inspection paperwork. I'll absolutely go back.
BenDiem (11-26-2020)
Old 11-29-2020 | 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Hi Brian,

First, great looking car. I'm also in SW Ohio and would recommend Inviza Shield in Milford http://www.invizashield.com/. They installed xpel on my Alfa 4C and have been happy with their result. I believe they also do work on behalf of several local dealerships.

I'm in the market for a very similar car as yours (earlier 991.1, 7MT 20-40k miles). If you have any thoughts on the market price right now would be a big help as I consider a few different options now....

Thanks!
bms0918 (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020 | 10:54 PM
bms0918
Rennlist Member

Talking

@991.1 Thanks for the tip! I’ll check them out as I’m doing my research. With snow forecast this week I’m not getting any miles in anyway.

Regarding the market, I found it to be severely constrained for a 991.1 C2S MT at the moment. Earlier in the fall there was more inventory but unfortunately I had one to sell before I could buy. I setup a search on AutoTrader and Cars.com and just checked it a few times per week. If you’re willing to consider the PDK there are a lot more options.

There was a C2 in Texas I was tracking at RAC performance (https://www.racperformance.com/2013-...ton-TX/6873324) that looked really clean and well optioned, had the deal not gone through on my C2S I would’ve seriously considered it. There’s a near twin to my car on BaT right now too (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-carrera-s-11/) and the price looks like a steal...with 3 days left to go.

www.VINanalytics.com is your friend. Feel free to DM me once you’re able. I’m happy to share any information that will help you with your buying process.

Quick Reply: Cincinnati (SW Ohio) PPF?