Sponsored by:

991.2 S and GTS Performance Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 991.2 S and GTS Performance Options

I've probably read every S vs GTS post and I want to make sure I'm not delirious from reading reenlist . I keep going back and forth on the pros and cons to each and I like aspects of both models. Ultimately, from a performance perspective if optioned the same is the only performance benefit the 30hp? For example, if an S were to have the sport suspension and RWS is there any handling benefit to the GTS with those same options due to the wider rear track or at that point for mere mortal drivers like myself is it just the wide body looks?

Thanks!
Mike

Last edited by Mike0105.; 11-24-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:39 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

I think options are VERY important if you want certain type of handling.

I test drove a 991.2 S and did not like it at all. Front felt light/floaty and not confidence inspiring. The Sport PASM and RAS make a world of difference. My T has both of these features and car is so planted at high speeds and back roads.

Definitely test drive as many versions as u can. I would go with T or GTS as those are the sportiest variants and will usually have the handling options you’re looking for. Obviously if you want more power and turbo engine character - GTS is the easy choice.

Last edited by R N M; 11-24-2020 at 09:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NJ991 (11-24-2020)
Old 11-24-2020, 09:42 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

One thing I immediately noticed, in the GTS, is that the handling seems more planted than the S model. Could be from woder
wheels/tires or more than likely the wider track. Also, remember, the GTS gets you standard sport options such as PSE, PASM Sport, if it’s a coupe, and about 40ftlb of tq than the S model. There are other sporty features and body design cues that are standard on a GTS. Some people want more comfort, others want something more edgy. For me, the GTS had all of the options I wanted on a 911 in one package. It really is hard to beat it.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:51 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I've been going back and forth with this since before I pulled the trigger on my .2 C2S, and it even lingered a bit after I made the purchase.

But I got over it.

Literally the only thing my car is missing from a GTS is the wide body, center lock wheels, and the power kit. I would throw in the GTS interior package, but an unreasonable amount of GTS cars weren't spec'd with that option (I'll never understand why...). Personally, I can't tell the difference visually on the wide body cars and I'll put money that most others can't either unless the cars are parked side by side. It's also hard for me to buy in to any real-world performance/handling advantage (or even "butt-feel" advantage), because the wheels and tires are the exact same size. The power kit, yes that's an advantage, and from what I understand has an even higher ceiling than the S for tuning... but maybe that's debatable. There are probably cheaper ways to make up that 30 hp difference. Personally, I'll never find out because I feel like the car already has arguably too much power unless you're just a track rat who lives to chase down ferraris and mclarens... in which case your money is probably more wisely spent on a GT3/RS (I know there are at least a couple guys who love to chase down GT cars in their Carreras... whatever floats your boat!). That's not me; the occasional autocross/HPDE and back road blasting is all I need out of this car, and it delivers. The T probably would too, but I just couldn't get over the fact that you're left with the base car's brakes. But the T is great because you can spec the rear axle steering, which personally I think is a Very Big Deal.

I'll be honest; if I had found a car that checked all the boxes and happened to be a GTS, I would have probably paid a significant premium, but only because I was coming from a Boxster GTS that I absolutely adored. There happened to be a .2 GTS on the lot when I bought my C2S. It was one year newer, MORE mileage, LESS options, and nearly $20k more, in a color combo that wasn't as appealing to me. I took a hard pass on that car, but I won't lie and say I wouldn't have paid another $10k for my exact car as a GTS. But I also won't lie and say I would have enjoyed it any more as a GTS.

The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
GVIFlyer (11-25-2020), Wrtflyr (11-25-2020), XLR82XS (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:16 AM
protamine
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 114 Posts

To me, the S was nice but the GTS was special

The S is a rocket. The GTS torque hit is massive.

Why I got the GTS

1. interior
2. wide body RWD
3. tuning potential
4. center locks
5. GTS model already has most of the stuff I wanted - SPASM, PSE etc
6. special-er, likely to hold value

There were 140-150k S's out there but I felt like they'd drop. My GTS was $168 but it fell into my lap.
XLR82XS (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 AM
Mike0105.
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks everyone! I have found a few S' with all the performance options I want, sport suspension and RWS but one of those cars had a range 6 over rev and the other one I'm still considering but it's missing sport plus seats. The GTS are a bit more than I want to spent but the want is strong. Ultimately, it sounds like an S with the performance options will get me what I want but finding one is challenging.
Mike
Old 11-25-2020, 10:38 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike0105.
Thanks everyone! I have found a few S' with all the performance options I want, sport suspension and RWS but one of those cars had a range 6 over rev and the other one I'm still considering but it's missing sport plus seats. The GTS are a bit more than I want to spent but the want is strong. Ultimately, it sounds like an S with the performance options will get me what I want but finding one is challenging.
Mike
the answer is yes you can configure an S to be almost exactly same as GTS. You can configure a 4S to be exactly the same as 4GTS. I was attacked for buying a 4S over a GTS. I have PCCB, PowerKit, PSE, SC, PDCC. I could configure either model and get the exact same Porsche. I drive it daily, rain, snow or sun. I drive cross country and I drive on race track. I don’t care if it says GTS on the back. Lots of opinions, but the answer is Yes, you can add performance options and it’s the same car. Needs powerkit to get bigger turbos.

lots of 3-party adding can give you more power and more torque.

good luck. It’s a fun car to drive.
manifold danger (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:43 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
I would go with T or GTS as those are the sportiest variants and will usually have the handling options you’re looking for.
To the best of my knowledge all of the S models come with a Limited Slip Differential, which is not the case with the T. I also believe the S with SPASM is the same suspension as the GTS and T. I believe all of the models have different size turbos, Base/T smallest, then S, then GTS.

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:31 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
One thing I immediately noticed, in the GTS, is that the handling seems more planted than the S model. Could be from woder
wheels/tires or more than likely the wider track. Also, remember, the GTS gets you standard sport options such as PSE, PASM Sport, if it’s a coupe, and about 40ftlb of tq than the S model. There are other sporty features and body design cues that are standard on a GTS. Some people want more comfort, others want something more edgy. For me, the GTS had all of the options I wanted on a 911 in one package. It really is hard to beat it.
I have been saying this for months, ever since I picked up my 991.1 GTS, that Porsche is being evasive about what all is different between an S and GTS.

I know you have a .2 car and this conversation is about the difference between the S and GTS of the .2 generation, but I can tell you there is a very clear difference between the handling, feel, characteristics and overall "experience" between how Porsche sets up an S Vs a GTS.
I have driven apples to apples car, over and over, S with S-PASM and GTS with S-PASM, both PDK, both with same seats, both with similar mileage.. and the GTS feel VERY different.
Its easy to chalk it off to the wider track of the GTS, but there is a lot more going on. I am hoping one day someone from Porsche will confirm that they do tune GTS's suspension very differently (using the same hardware as an S-PASM 911 S)
NJ991 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 11:46 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

So much speculation on what makes the GTS a GTS. Wider wheels. Targa GTS gets narrower wheels and doesn’t get SPASM. Sound insulation differences, Suspension, power, cosmetics. You wouldn’t build up a Carrera and check the boxes the make a GTS knock off since that would cost you more than 5K more. Cold start a GTS and non GTS both with PSE and hear for yourself.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:47 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,233 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I have driven apples to apples car, over and over, S with S-PASM and GTS with S-PASM, both PDK, both with same seats, both with similar mileage.. and the GTS feel VERY different.
Its easy to chalk it off to the wider track of the GTS, but there is a lot more going on. I am hoping one day someone from Porsche will confirm that they do tune GTS's suspension very differently (using the same hardware as an S-PASM 911 S)
The part numbers for the suspension parts are the same. That pretty much settles it. MAYBE the PASM control module has a different map?

Last edited by AdamSanta85; 11-25-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM
R N M
Racer

My advice again is to drive the different versions yourself and see if you can “feel” the difference.
Part numbers will not tell you the whole story.

If you can’t notice the difference then get the S.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:40 PM
R N M
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
To the best of my knowledge all of the S models come with a Limited Slip Differential, which is not the case with the T. I also believe the S with SPASM is the same suspension as the GTS and T. I believe all of the models have different size turbos, Base/T smallest, then S, then GTS.
I believe the manual T has LSD, my car is PDK.

The T motor is much more NA feeling with progressive torque, eager to rev, and builds power.
The S/GTS has the brutal shove of a high HP turbo engine, similar to my F80 M3.

All these cars are great in their own way but how their optioned goes a long way to make it the right car for you. The only way to know is to test drive various versions and find the one you prefer.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:51 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
The part numbers for the suspension parts are the same. That pretty much settles it. MAYBE the PASM control module has a different map?
hence why I repeatedly mentioned suspension tuning.

A good example is how a DSC module can transform these cars while keeping the exact same parts/part numbers and hardware

Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by R N M
I believe the manual T has LSD, my car is PDK.

The T motor is much more NA feeling with progressive torque, eager to rev, and builds power.
The S/GTS has the brutal shove of a high HP turbo engine, similar to my F80 M3.

All these cars are great in their own way but how their optioned goes a long way to make it the right car for you. The only way to know is to test drive various versions and find the one you prefer.
this is where I feel differently. I test drove a T, S and ultimately a GTS. The S and GTS do such an amazing job of emulating a NA engine, the T/base do it best. The power builds up as the RPMs build up. It’s really amazing that Porsche achieved this. When I’m pushing my GTS on back roads, where I’m mainly in 2nd/3rd gears, there is almost no difference in power delivery in my .2 GTS than my previous 991.1 S NA engine. Throttle and power is linear and instant. There is a “shove” that you can feel from the S and GTS, because of the larger turbos, the T has the same, just not as pronounced. If I really pay close attention, sure I can feel the turbo lag, but it’s extremely minimal and almost negligible. I wouldn’t say it’s similar to the M3/M4. Those cars feel and behave like turbo cars. That was my experience from the F80. Still a fun car too.
BlueNorther (11-26-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 S and GTS Performance Options