Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Control Arms - Tarett vs BBI vs E-Motion vs Elephant Racing Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 09:52 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts
Default Adjustable Control Arms - Tarett vs BBI vs E-Motion vs Elephant Racing Comparison

I'm looking at changing some of my Elephant Racing Adjustable control arms and spherical bearing bars.

Whilst some of the Elephant racing bars have great adjustability, I am sick and tired of rattles, and noises. Its time to cure the worst one, which has been driving me nuts. The Front lower control arm, with the puck. The ball joint quite a bit of play in it, and rattles over bumps. It has done this from day one. You can actually move it up and down and make the noise when on the hoist. But over the last two years, there has been so many other niggling issues, I hadn't gotten around to fix this one. This thread is not about bagging Elephant Racing. They have some good stuff. Some things have better adjustability. But some things are out dated, and were more suited to older models.
They need to realise, that some things have changed sufficiently to demand a retool.

Tarett Cup control Arm

Introducing the Cup-Series lower control arms for your Porsche 996/997/986/987/981 & 991 (not GT4 or 991 GT3). Much more than just another billet replica of the GT3 arm; this design is superior to any other aluminum arm on the market.

For safety, the problematic 12mm ball joint design, used on both OEM and other aftermarket arms, has been completely redesigned for a fool proof, larger, significantly stronger and more reliable design that you can count on. The ball joint consists of a replaceable over sized precision grade Teflon lined monoball bushing. High misalignment bushings provide safe and bind free operation at any ride height.

Problematic YES. So this is one of my solutions.

Now E-Motion has a completely different bar that attaches to that.

E-Motion

Now these are very different to my Elephant racing ones that are adjustable on the other end of the bar. I'm unsure which to match with the Tarett above.

E-motion 3 bars

You can see where it attaches to there control arm. However it appears that there control arm does not have an adjustable castor puck, like the Elephant racing or Tarett one. This puck is essential for a Carrera GTS to run RS size front wheels. As you need to add a lot of Castor to more the 265/35/20 forward, to stop it rubbing when on full lock.

There are three bars in the rear I have not done as yet. Tossing up between E-motion and BBI. It appears to be the same bars just rebranded?

E-Motion rear Control arms

Vs

BBi dog bone

My Car 4.0

This is currently my setup.

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-20-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:21 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

I think I need to work on my braking. I have seen a few of these, and some guys get the braking into 1.6G.
I don't know if its the anti-dive bars working, or if I am too mechanically sympathetic when pushing the brake pedal.
I don't usually see cars accelerate as quick as mine though. : ) Post your results.

Max G 4.0
The following users liked this post:
Norge911 (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:45 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I cant help with the suspension parts but this is my max gs at last track day. 2017 Targa GTS with RE-10 pads, Ap racing rotors and cup 2s.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:11 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Now E-Motion has a completely different bar that attaches to that.

E-Motion

Now these are very different to my Elephant racing ones that are adjustable on the other end of the bar. I'm unsure which to match with the Tarett above.

E-motion 3 bars

You can't go wrong with anything from Dundon. From the looks of it, you have to use the Dundon E-motion parts together. I can see the puck design being a failure point in the Elephant Racing/Tarrett design; i.e. it can slip. So it looks like the E-Motion design chose to make that fixed/solid and they chose to make the caster adjustable by using shims on the tension arms. Very much like how camber is adjusted on race cars, using shims where the upper control arm mounts to the chassis.
4 Point 0 (02-02-2021)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
You can't go wrong with anything from Dundon. From the looks of it, you have to use the Dundon E-motion parts together. I can see the puck design being a failure point in the Elephant Racing/Tarrett design; i.e. it can slip. So it looks like the E-Motion design chose to make that fixed/solid and they chose to make the caster adjustable by using shims on the tension arms. Very much like how camber is adjusted on race cars, using shims where the upper control arm mounts to the chassis.

That was my thoughts as well. The Tarett one talks about the problematic ball joint of others, which has been driving me nuts.

I may ask E-motion/Dundon how they got around that.

Then theirs looks good.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:03 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga

I cant help with the suspension parts but this is my max gs at last track day. 2017 Targa GTS with RE-10 pads, Ap racing rotors and cup 2s.
Those are great numbers except acceleration. Put your foot down man, you're on the track. No speed limits 🤣
Old 11-22-2020, 01:08 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

E-Motion looks to use a spherical bearing like the Tarrett in place of the ball joint.
4 Point 0 (02-02-2021)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:11 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
E-Motion looks to use a spherical bearing like the Tarrett in place of the ball joint.
I like systems. So I think i may replace all the Elephant racing with E-Motion.

Then i want RS vented Guards and change my front GT3 plastics to GT3-RS plastics. Then i can do their underbody Aero.

Carbon Aero

But what wing to balance off at rear. There isn’t anything for Carreras yet. 😭
Old 11-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

I’m assuming this is @Tyler@APR but could be a customer car..? Either way looks like a Carrera with a massive wing.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
I’m assuming this is @Tyler@APR but could be a customer car..? Either way looks like a Carrera with a massive wing.

The front bumper and front flared guards are cup car.

I hope is was a T and he added that and its not just a cup car?
Old 11-22-2020, 03:14 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 121 Posts

Could be. Looks like a narrow body though. Cup has wide body? Idk.

Also, they had a Facebook video this summer that showed some body panels to be installed, one of which was a hood that had NACA ducts.

@Tyler@APR is this your car?
4 Point 0 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 03:17 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Also, they had a Facebook video this summer that showed some body panels to be installed, one of which was a hood that had NACA ducts.

Dundon do a swan neck but it is designed to bolt to GT3-RS rear deck lid. I don’t know if that would allow enough air into intake.

@Tyler@APR

Last edited by 4 Point 0; 11-22-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:39 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Those are great numbers except acceleration. Put your foot down man, you're on the track. No speed limits 🤣
Thats the about all it does at Barber. Cant accelerate like that out of the pitts. I would have to use launch control to get anything close to yours probably.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:22 PM
GT Rennsport
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts

That is indeed Tyler's car. Porsche MS front bodywork and Versus rear wing. A lot of the story has been shared in APRs IG.

Here are the wing mounts that @3DMetal printed for Tyler.

View this post on Instagram

Old 11-23-2020, 12:02 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT Rennsport
That is indeed Tyler's car. Porsche MS front bodywork and Versus rear wing. A lot of the story has been shared in APRs IG.

Here are the wing mounts that @3DMetal printed for Tyler.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGC1BEiDGVZ/?

Dude, thank you so much. This is exactly what I need. I want the Dundon Underbody front. But I needed a big **** soloution. Its about god damn time.

@Tyler@APR Hook a brother up. Or is it @3DMetal I need these brackets for my GTS. Does the active wing still work under the Swan neck? I need to see a rear shot. Is it Dundon's swan neck. Details man.
I'm a little excited.

And P.S. Tyler, my GTS is still faster than your T.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Control Arms - Tarett vs BBI vs E-Motion vs Elephant Racing Comparison