Sponsored by:

Oil level not available?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 01:55 PM
bh1cqx
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I've gotten in the habit of weighing the oil that I drained and then adding the same amount back in. I nail it within 200 mL every time now.
This is a great idea. i'll do the same next time.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:00 PM
bh1cqx
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
I have an upcoming oil change on my '17 C2. I diy'd mine this past spring, so I have minimal experience. I posted in @bkrantz excellent DIY thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9892...l#post16390756

I put in exactly 8.00 liters.

I've decided the "fill" amount depends on the angle of the car (on four jack stands, rears up on a raceramp, left rear jacked up, etc) as well as drain time. Plus if the filter is replaced, obviously, but there'd need to be special circumstances for not changing a filter I guess.

I very carefully measured mine, and ended up with the indicator bar exactly one bar below minimum. I check at every fill up; just before starting the car. That way, the engine is warm, the car has been driven, and the oil has had time to settle into the sump while I was pumping gas. Plus it's a consistent method as I'm always doing the same process.
I did exactly the same last time. Good result, though it was a bit scary to turn on the engine without knowing if the oil level was above the required minimum.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
I'm not sure why it would be empty if you just put 8 quarts of new oil in??

The only real issue is for those folks who like their oil level at the top - they have to follow the procedure stated by others above.
Originally Posted by asellus
lose count while getting another beer, etc..
Ahhh, great point! It's Rum & Coke for me, yet same issue can arise.

I'll have to add a "Check Qty of Empty Oil Containers" line to my Oil Change Checklist.

Last edited by 981KMAN; 11-21-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:32 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by 981KMAN
Ahhh, great point! It's Rum & Coke for me, yet same issue can arise.

I'll have to add a "Check Qty of Empty Oil Containers" line to my Oil Change Checklist.

Rum and coke, oh man. Getting flashbacks to when I was 22. Can't do rum anymore

You try Dr Pepper instead of Coke? I found that it adds a whole lot to that cocktail.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:11 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

There is another thread on this in regard to oil level at change. It does somewhat depend on some options/trim, they are not all the same.

The oil level meter needs to be drive or idle for ~30-40 minutes. I've been told it's due to time at temp and oil cooler thermostats needing to cycle. That is why everyone's answer is somewhat different.

If you intend to do track days, be leery of filling to the top of the full mark. Going full tilt causes oil to expand some and once the level exceeds 'full' you will see the dreaded red screen telling you to immediately seek service.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

In this purgatory as I type this. Looked like I was at minimum acceptable level, so I added 1/3 of a quart to see where that would put me…and have driven the car 30 miles over 4-5 errands and a bit of highway driving to no avail. Oil measurement still not available. Ugh.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
In this purgatory as I type this. Looked like I was at minimum acceptable level, so I added 1/3 of a quart to see where that would put me…and have driven the car 30 miles over 4-5 errands and a bit of highway driving to no avail. Oil measurement still not available. Ugh.
Well, it only took 8-10 cycles and 41 miles for the oil level info to become available.

By 35 miles, I was starting to wonder if I was going to have to go to my dealer to check the level after adding 1/3 quart. I'd pay good money for a dipstick…and am curious if any of the aftermarket readers can help in this scenario?
Old 06-11-2021, 12:35 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Happened to me after the first time I changed my oil - I drove the car for at least 2+ days before I finally had an oil readout.

What I have gotten in the habit of doing since then is weighing my oil. I weigh the exact amount that comes out, and then I weigh the amount I'm adding in. Doing this for the last 3 oil changes, I nail the fill amount within +/- 200 mL.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:12 PM
981KMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 364 Posts

After I change my oil, I'm not that concerned about the "Oil Level" reading. The exact oil level is not that important. Just has to be in the "Green Zone".

I ensure that I have refilled with 8 Liters of new oil and the car will tell me if there is any issue when I drive it. I get it up to temperature (above 165F) and the next morning the reading is there showing that the level is "Correct", meaning somewhere in the "Green" Zone. Never had an issue with over 100K miles driven (19 oil changes) on this system. If I wish to add a little oil to have it at the Maximum Level, I can do that.

I would not pay $$ for a Dip Stick. Yet that's just me, I tend not to fret over stuff that is not really important, especially if I have other information telling me all is OK.

Now where did the Rum go??

Quick Reply: Oil level not available?