Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Controls…what package/features are missing from a 991.2 without them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 12:36 PM
KevinJS
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering Wheel Controls…what package/features are missing from a 991.2 without them?

Steering Wheel Controls…what package/overall features are missing for a 911.2 that does not have them?

I sold my 981 BS a couple of months ago and have been shopping 911s as its replacement. There is a 2017 911 4S that I keep coming back to as it checks most of the boxes. This one however does not have steering wheel controls like most of the others I have looked at. Trying to get more familiar with the 991.2 packages to fully understand what I would be missing feature/option/package wise if I did pull the trigger on this one. Since most of the others I’ve seen do have them, what popular package gives the 991.2 steering wheel controls so I can see what all will be missing from it? Appreciate any details to help narrow this down, thanks guys!

This is the wheel it has. Does have Sport Chrono dial, but no others.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:56 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

i thought having the multi-function was simply a standalone option and not dependent/included in any particular package.

like whether you have the standard sport wheel or the sport design wheel, you can opt for the multi-function version of either regardless of the other options you have in the car build... at least that's how i understand it to be. never really looked too deep in to this before
Old 11-17-2020, 03:09 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts

I believe you have 2 control arms on the steering wheel column to control cruise and display on the dash board display.
I think one thing you're missing out are 1. heated steering and 2. diamond button that control whatever you assigned which are not big deal at all.
So if this car checks out most of your requirements, I don't think it's a deal breaker.
With a bit of research in the forum and not too terrible amount of money (especially if you can find a used steering wheel which pops up time to time - in fact, I sold 2 MF steering wheels in the forum, haha), you can certainly add multi-function on your steering wheel for sure.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Josh(PA)
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by edirtaynine
i thought having the multi-function was simply a standalone option and not dependent/included in any particular package.

like whether you have the standard sport wheel or the sport design wheel, you can opt for the multi-function version of either regardless of the other options you have in the car build... at least that's how i understand it to be. never really looked too deep in to this before
This is correct, the multi-function steering wheel buttons were a standalone option on both the regular and GT Sport (thicker/smaller OD) wheel. The heated option was also standalone. The button for that is behind the vertical (downward pointing) spoke of the wheel.

FYI, I believe you can retrofit the multi-function buttons pretty easily w/ parts from Suncoast. You can also add a new heated wheel if you really want to.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/catego...sXINTKNOB.html
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (11-17-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:49 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 327 Posts

You can still control almost everything from the wheel. If that is the only thing separating you from a perfect car, you should be buying it right now. I personally don't like having buttons all over the steering wheel and have never once wished I could change the volume from the steering wheel, etc.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:05 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 384 Likes on 200 Posts

As others have said, it’s a standalone option that allows for wheel control of existing features. In and of itself, it doesn’t add anything. Is it useful? Meh. I’ve got one on my C2S and I almost never use it. Then again, I never use the cruise control either, so YMMV. You can definitely install a MF steering wheel - it’s available on the Porsche site, but since it doesn’t currently have one, you’d need some extra parts as well as the labor to install it. I’d imagine you wouldn’t get away with doing that for less than $2k. So, if you really like the car and really want a MF steering wheel, you can add it. Just be sure that you check the total install cost beforehand and whether that’s palatable to you or not.
Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 AM
KevinJS
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, guys, appreciate the details and help! Going to try and move forward on this one, time to play the numbers game.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:27 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

To confirm-you can retrofit the buttons without changing the entire wheel if you want them (it was one of the first mods I did). You wont get the programable "Joker" key or the heated wheel function but other than that it works well.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:53 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
To confirm-you can retrofit the buttons without changing the entire wheel if you want them (it was one of the first mods I did). You wont get the programable "Joker" key or the heated wheel function but other than that it works well.
@polobai - CAN you give some more information? Assuming these are OAM bits - what was the cost and did you do this or through the dealer? Programming etc?
Old 11-21-2020, 11:13 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I think that's the GT sport steering wheel, it's a smaller diameter than the normal (possibly thicker) and is frequently spec'd with out the mf controls. It's actually an extra option by itself (~$350 IIRC, and is independent of all other options. A build sheet or VIN would give us all the details about the car. It's probably not heated but you aren't missing any functionality, just the "convenience" of having controls on the wheel itself.

It's pretty much an aesthetic/preference thing, and in the long run nearly negligible in most people's overall enjoyment of the car.

Last edited by manifold danger; 11-21-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 12:57 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman
@polobai - CAN you give some more information? Assuming these are OAM bits - what was the cost and did you do this or through the dealer? Programming etc?
Sorry for the delay. I purchased the oem controls for a Macan as I wanted them in black. I want to say I paid around $350 for them on eBay. You also need the control box with the options you have (sport chrono,etc)-$200 or so used. From there it’s plug and play. You may be able to get your oem control box reprogrammed at the dealer but not sure what it would run.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls…what package/features are missing from a 991.2 without them?