Sponsored by:

Carrera T owners, interested in your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 01:05 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Carrera T owners, interested in your opinion

Hey guys, former 911 owner from back in the '90's, now have the Cayman R that I like to track. I'd be grateful if those of you who have the Carrera T could share what you like or don't like about it. I"m thinking of the manual version, there are a few floating around on the market. I'm most interested in subjective impressions about everyday use, sound, steering feel. Basically, is it an improvement over the base Carrera, or is it just a bit of cosmetics?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Old 11-15-2020, 02:31 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

It's an improvement. It's going to feel a lot bigger than your R, but you'll get used to it. If you don't need back seats, you won't have to regret not having them (if you go for a delete) based on you not having them now. Tracking it will probably feel the same, give about the same times as your R if you find one with RAS. You'll definitely appreciate the updated interior, although lots of touches (straps, alcantara, etc.) are similar, as are color ways. I love mine and haven't even contemplated selling, which is a change for me after two years of slinging her around. You'll love the turbos after you get used to the difference, and there is no comparison in how much better the torque is. I decided on a 981 CS vice the R when I got my Cayman. I moved from the Cayman to the T. Never looked back.

Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by S S:
GT3FZS (11-15-2020), LWG (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 02:35 PM
jsullivan
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I own a 2019 Carrera T.

The engine in the T is the same as the base Carrera -- which is a great engine in either car. The main party trick of this engine is full, flat torque from about 1800 RPMs onward, and imperceptible turbo lag. This makes it fun and enjoyable for daily use, weekend runs, or casual track days.

The Carrera T could be configured with some features that are not available on the base Carrera -- bucket seats, PASM, PCCBs, rear wheel steering, T-specific interior trim. If you want one of these features, look for a T. If you don't care, then look for either a T or a base Carrera. Either car is also likely a good starting point if you want a "basic model" as a starting point to do a lot of tuning or make track specific modifications.

The T does come with a shorter manual shifter and somewhat less noise insulation that you might or might not notice. But in any case -- if you get a chance to drive a T or base Carrera, they should have a basically similar feel and then you can shop for the options you want.

Last edited by jsullivan; 11-15-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 03:03 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 158 Posts

I think you can get PCCB on a base Carrera and PASM might also be stock on a base
Old 11-15-2020, 03:22 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I probably wouldn't track it, since my R with buckets and 6 speed is more than enough for fun. I'm pretty done with 450hp plus cars, been there and they provide limited road fun to me.

It would be a daily car for 9 months a year. I am looking for subjective views, having pretty much ruled out a GTS (of which there are many more available in the late model market). And a lot of 991 CS cars have options I don't care about.

The T spec is pretty much what I would have ordered on a Carrera if I had bought new, plus it has those fun frills that Porsche does. It's really tempting!
Old 11-15-2020, 05:48 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 537 Likes on 219 Posts

I can’t say I’ve driven a CR but after driving most of the current available models the only one that made a lasting impression was the T. It just seemed to have the right bits and pieces without being the GTs. The mechanic diff, PASM, lightweight glass, short shifter, etc were exactly what I was looking for. It is special but not nuts, it feels light when driven. I wanted a sports car, not a touring car, one a ton of fun on the back roads. Mine has LWBS, RAS, PCCBs and I couldn’t be happier. You mentioned you don’t want a 450hp car and I am in the same boat but if you did, this car is just a tune/turbo away from being a monster.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:36 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Alc
You mentioned you don’t want a 450hp car and I am in the same boat but if you did, this car is just a tune/turbo away from being a monster.
Yup, $1500 tune from APR puts it at about 440hp. If you want to improve the sounds, response, and power, you could add in some headers and sport cats.
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (11-15-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:10 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

I thought the T had SPASM/PASMS, not PASM?????
Old 11-15-2020, 09:20 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
I thought the T had SPASM/PASMS, not PASM?????
I believe it comes with SPASM stock but it’s a $0 option to have it raised 10mm (and become PASM)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:26 PM
Alc
Racer

Received 537 Likes on 219 Posts

Yes it comes with Sport PASM suspension...sorry typo.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:36 PM
Vrrooom
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 19T that I picked up about 3 weeks ago, and have put about 2000 Mike’s since. My previous car was a 991.1 turbo.

I genuinely like the T a lot more. I miss the brutal power and the awd traction and lightning quick pdk. But the T is just a lot more enjoyable to drive. It’s so much lighter, precise, and feels like it has a soul. I’ve driven other 991s and to me this is one of the best. The base motor is fantastic and doesn’t feel like a turbo car.

I only have the T interior as options- no RAS, PCCB, Etc. But I will say the basic stuff in this T makes it one fantastic car. As are all Porsche’s, but to me, the T is the one at this price point.

I was cross shopping this with the GT3- I chose this because of the price, newness, and back seats so my wife and son can ride along.

I love this quote and think it’s absolutely true about the T- the whole is greater than the sum of its parts
Old 11-15-2020, 10:56 PM
R N M
Racer

Received 269 Likes on 118 Posts

I picked up a 2019 T a few months ago and its been great so far.
To me its way worth it over a base 991.2.
- it comes standard with all sport options such as - Sport Exhaust, Sport PASM, Sport Chrono
- features /options like the special T interior pack, bucket seats, lightweight glass, rear wheel steer etc
- less sound deadening, front lip, higher wing

All the above combined make it a very cool package that is just more special to drive than a base model to me.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:05 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

I ordered my T and tweaked it a bit adding a BBK because I didnt order the PCCB's, a tune and DSC controller. I drove it about 10k miles without the tune, BBK and controller, used it as a daily and it was awesome. Even with the bucket seats. I like to track so I had to do the upgrades but if you are not tracking then they are not necessary. There is something special about the T, as others have said. I still drive the T 3 or 4 times a week and have over 20,000 miles now. I do not plan on selling this car. I have a Cayman R that I track as well and I can confirm they make a great pair. Make the plunge. You wont be disappointed. Good luck!!
The following 3 users liked this post by spyderbret:
718spyder (11-15-2020), GT3FZS (11-16-2020), tourenwagen (11-16-2020)
Old 11-16-2020, 07:55 AM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by spyderbret
I ordered my T and tweaked it a bit adding a BBK because I didnt order the PCCB's, a tune and DSC controller. I drove it about 10k miles without the tune, BBK and controller, used it as a daily and it was awesome. Even with the bucket seats. I like to track so I had to do the upgrades but if you are not tracking then they are not necessary. There is something special about the T, as others have said. I still drive the T 3 or 4 times a week and have over 20,000 miles now. I do not plan on selling this car. I have a Cayman R that I track as well and I can confirm they make a great pair. Make the plunge. You wont be disappointed. Good luck!!

What tune did you go with?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret
Another P car nut! I do think they would make a nice pair, the Cayman R isn't the car I want to take out for a 4 hour drive. I love the LWBs but my other half is strangely reluctant to them lol
The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (11-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Carrera T owners, interested in your opinion