Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Tail Lights Removal Easy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 02:07 AM
Skeetshooter53
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Having broken these electrical connectors by using a flat blade screwdriver, I CRINGE when I hear this. There is a proper way to release those connectors. The release tab is under pressure when connected due to a water tight rubber seal inside the connector. Push the connector together as if you were snapping the plug back together and this takes the tension off of the release tab, then it is very easy to take your finger and press the release tab and the connector will come apart very easy. If you try to release the tab while the connector is under tension with a screwdriver you can break the tab. Spoken from true experience! Hope this saves you replacing broken connectors in the future.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:13 AM
Skeetshooter53
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tourenwagen
Just took out both lights and the bumper off a couple nights back. Its super easy.
Raise the spoiler and the black plastic trim pieces underneath it on each side pop off... pull gently upwards and they will pop out of the rubber grommets that hold them down.
There are actually three torx screws holding each light in place. One is bigger, I forget the sizes but you'll need a set of torx sockets.
Remove all three screws and push the light down very slightly to clear the metal frame and it will slide right out.
The wiring plug needs a small flat screwdriver inserted into the clip to release it smoothly.
Having broken these electrical connectors by using a flat blade screwdriver, I CRINGE when I hear this. There is a proper way to release those connectors. The release tab is under pressure when connected due to a water tight rubber seal inside the connector. Push the connector together as if you were snapping the plug back together and this takes the tension off of the release tab, then it is very easy to take your finger and press the release tab and the connector will come apart very easy. If you try to release the tab while the connector is under tension with a screwdriver you can break the tab. Spoken from true experience! Hope this save you replacing the broken connectors in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skeetshooter53:
MingusDew (04-12-2023), shyamvenky (04-12-2023)
Old 05-21-2024, 10:43 AM
sirtom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone switch from regular red to dark / tinted red taillights? How different do they look? I couldn't find a side by side picture.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Tail Lights Removal Easy?