Sponsored by:

PDK Control Unit (TCU) Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 02:15 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts
Default PDK Control Unit (TCU) Upgrading

I’m currently researching the option of using the FVD Brombacher PDK performance tune on my 991.1 C2S and have a few basic questions more than concerns on the tune.
The TCU needs to be removed and send to FVD Germany for review and re-programming. Turnaround is approximately 2-3 weeks.

First issue is the exact location of the TCU unit, which from i can gather from the wiring schematics, is located at the base of the left B pillar, behind the passenger seat. Since this is my first 911, not sure how difficult that is to retrieve. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

Second issue is that the literature states that the re-programmed TCU must be recoded to the car after installation. From this note I am assuming that I cannot drive the car to get recoded, I must have my local indy install the unit and then recode as required. If this is the case, I would need the same shop to remove the TCU and then store the car until the unit arrives from Germany so they can reinstall.

Other notes I had picked up from the service manual was that if a part is the original part it did not need to be recoded and only fully new replacement parts require recoding. Maybe the complete re-flashing of the unit changes this strategy.

What I thought would be a simple project is turning into a logistical nightmare as I don’t want my car down that long at this time of year prior to winter.

Any thoughts, comments and/or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Tom in Reno
Old 11-03-2020, 03:48 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you thought of : https://www.cobbtuning.com/accesspor...transmissions/
Old 11-03-2020, 04:01 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Yep, I tried the Cobb AP3 with PDK and was not happy with the PDK portion of the tune. My initial reactions were positive, as I had posted, and after a few weeks I was noticing things I didn't care for when running in AUTO with the tuned PDK. I eventually removed the tune for both ECU and PDK and sold the AP3 as I was looking at selling the car as I had to relocate. Now that I worked out working remotely full time, it looks like I will be keeping the car afterall.

Initially I was looking at the FVD software but when a Cobb AP3 came on the market for 1/2 price, I snatched it up to try it out first. Now that I sold the unit, I am back on the 'hunt'.

I was able to find the PDK control unit location last night and the location I had noted above is correct. The recoding part of my comments above is incorrect as I did verify with the engineer in Germany last night that since the TCU remains original, and is only re-flashed internally at the factory, it does NOT need to be recoded so essentially it's a 'plug and play' proposition.

Tom in Reno
Old 11-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

The PDK Control Unit is located behind the passenger seat or at the heel plate at the back seat. Remove the back seat to gain access. The back seat is held secure by a nut located in the center hump under the tray. You will also need to remove the plastic clips at each seat belt release and remove each screw/bolt (L & R). The rear seat lumbar supports are held in place by Velcro, just pull them forward. It is also recommended you disconnect the negative battery terminal before disconnecting the PDK Control Unit.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:00 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
The PDK Control Unit is located behind the passenger seat or at the heel plate at the back seat. Remove the back seat to gain access. The back seat is held secure by a nut located in the center hump under the tray. You will also need to remove the plastic clips at each seat belt release and remove each screw/bolt (L & R). The rear seat lumbar supports are held in place by Velcro, just pull them forward. It is also recommended you disconnect the negative battery terminal before disconnecting the PDK Control Unit.
Thanks for the detailed description. I was just reviewing the info I had found last night. Perfect timing for sure.

Tom in Reno
Old 11-03-2020, 08:51 PM
Wizo
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 120 Posts

Ahh - I literally spoke to FVD the other day but the pricing seemed a little nutz! They wanted almost 5k to tune and calibrate the ECU.

I don’t want to spend that much and was about to but the Cobb...now what do I do.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:04 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

I'm running a 2014 991.1 NA and the ECU tune is only $1200 +/- so it's on par with the same Cobb tune..........at least for my car!
Old 11-09-2020, 11:22 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

MODIFICATION of torque limiter? So we can increase the toque limit so High powered car won't get shift refusal?

If someone can confirm this, I will get it done. Saves waiting for APR to figure it out and release a patch.

Do I need to send them my TCU?

https://www.fvd.net/de-de/FVD991618P...eraet-tcu.html

Stage 1 *:
Modification of shifting times (shorter shifting / gear switching times)
- Modification of rocker switch / paddle response time (shorter)
- Suspension or modification of the torque limiter
- Deactivation or modification of compulsory upshift in any mode (manual, normal, sport, sport plus)
- Deactivation of downshift on Kickdown prevented in any mode (manual, normal, sport, sport plus)
- Improved switching characteristics (ie no jerking, smooth transition when shifting)
- Modification of speed limit

Stage 2 *:
- Modification of shift points - allowing a higher max. rotational speed (Nmax)
- Modification of the clutch pressure (no slipping clutch, especially turbo vehicles)
- Modification of switching operations to individual driving behavior
- Activating Launch Control in all modes (manual, normal, sport, sport plus)

* Additional options for Stage 1 and 2:
- Reprogramming rocker switches
- Reprogramming gear levers (direction +/-)
- Activating Launch Control for vehicles without chrono sport and chrono sport plus

Stage 3:
- Individual programming car characteristics based on any options in Stage 1 and 2
- Customized Tuning of Launch Control
Old 11-10-2020, 12:21 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Default TCU Upgrade

Give Theo Brombacher a call at FVD and he can verify your concerns.

Yes the TCU needs to be removed and sent to Germany for checking and reprogramming.

Please note that you need to be running the ECU tune by FVD in order to use their TCU tune. Since the TCU is always in communication with the ECU, they will insure that all modifications are in sync for optimum performance.

My $.02 on the subject.

Tom in Reno
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmarino
Give Theo Brombacher a call at FVD and he can verify your concerns.

Yes the TCU needs to be removed and sent to Germany for checking and reprogramming.

Please note that you need to be running the ECU tune by FVD in order to use their TCU tune. Since the TCU is always in communication with the ECU, they will insure that all modifications are in sync for optimum performance.

My $.02 on the subject.

Tom in Reno
Yes, thanks Tom. I found the find print . Must run their tune. What rubbish. Are they afraid my tune is more powerful and their pitiful PDK tune won’t handle it?

They loose the sale.

I’m done now . I will go full MoTeC. Change out the ECU and have full control.

Old 10-16-2021, 02:01 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

@tmarino @tmario Did you ever have FVD do your TCU? Like to hear the results if yes - I'm thinking of this pkg.

Last edited by GroupJ; 01-24-2022 at 04:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Stromer (10-17-2021)
Old 01-24-2022, 01:01 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Bump so I can find my TCU to send to M-Engineering.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:49 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Bump so I can find my TCU to send to M-Engineering.
Not sure I am answering your question, but I think the TCU is behind the passenger seat?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:26 AM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1235...n-991-2-a.html

This should be the correct link info. Sorry

Quick Reply: PDK Control Unit (TCU) Upgrading