991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO and door panel separating

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023 | 04:58 PM
Kurvenflitzer
Advanced

Dissenting opinion here (which is what is really great about Rennlist....): don't get the complaining about Porsche not replacing it. First, it's not a safety issue unless you fix it yourself with super glue or such, in which case the airbag won't deploy. If the panel is delaminated, it won't stop the airbag from deploying. Second - you complain about the oil change being expensive, and saving by doing it yourself/going to an indie. So why not spend a few hundred $$ and get your panel fixed at Pedro's - for good! Third - whatever Porsche would do is giving you the same panel again, with the same water based compound that causes the delamination. So not really a "solution".....my two cents. Have at it!
Old 06-13-2023 | 05:17 PM
NHmacan
Racer

Originally Posted by Kurvenflitzer
Dissenting opinion here (which is what is really great about Rennlist....): don't get the complaining about Porsche not replacing it. First, it's not a safety issue unless you fix it yourself with super glue or such, in which case the airbag won't deploy. If the panel is delaminated, it won't stop the airbag from deploying. Second - you complain about the oil change being expensive, and saving by doing it yourself/going to an indie. So why not spend a few hundred $$ and get your panel fixed at Pedro's - for good! Third - whatever Porsche would do is giving you the same panel again, with the same water based compound that causes the delamination. So not really a "solution".....my two cents. Have at it!
I will bite. First, he paid for a premium car that should not be falling apart after a few years. Second, he also paid for CPO and Porsche has already replaced these for other people including myself under CPO. There seems to be a major lack of consistency in the way Porsche administers the CPO warranty. Third, the cost to get an oil change done at a dealership is offensive. I could get my oil changed at my Indi and then light a $100 bill on fire and still be a head by $100. I’m sorry, but for the most part these dealerships want a premium price, but do not deliver a premium service.

Last edited by NHmacan; 06-13-2023 at 05:19 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by NHmacan:
bradthe (06-17-2023), Larson E. Rapp (08-18-2024), Steffner (06-14-2023), straka (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023 | 05:48 PM
IAHAWK5
Rennlist Member

Bingo! Nice summary; hit the nail squarely on its head!
The following users liked this post:
bradthe (06-17-2023)
Old 08-16-2024 | 07:03 PM
Porsche9119
AutoX

Hey folks; I read through the post and can totally understand all the frustration. This Ausie dude has a quick tutorial to fix, and it doesn't look difficult, and stays clear of any airbag complexities. I haven't done this, but will be doing so, and just by the looks of it, it looks like 3 on 10 in terms of difficulty. Pretty simple fix.

Enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche9119:
Foosh (08-18-2024), James88 (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024 | 02:27 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NHmacan
I will bite. First, he paid for a premium car that should not be falling apart after a few years. Second, he also paid for CPO and Porsche has already replaced these for other people including myself under CPO. There seems to be a major lack of consistency in the way Porsche administers the CPO warranty. Third, the cost to get an oil change done at a dealership is offensive. I could get my oil changed at my Indi and then light a $100 bill on fire and still be a head by $100. I’m sorry, but for the most part these dealerships want a premium price, but do not deliver a premium service.
In addition to those excellent points, there is a fourth point worth making: Porsche has known about this defect for years. It has been obvious, starting a couple of years after the first 2012.5 991s were delivered, that their adhesive was not durable. Whether they were forced to use inappropriate adhesives (as Pedro suggests, which would be a fine explanation if it were affecting other high-end European cars) or whether they were just being cheap, they knew. But since failures tend to occur out of warranty, they don't care.

Same deal with the windshield adhesives, which evidently went unchanged between the 991 and 992 generations. They know. They just don't care.

Quick Reply: CPO and door panel separating