Sponsored by:

Is the Sport Chrono Illuminated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:10 PM
mhconley
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by straka
I've found it annoying that the sport chrono clock was backlit with less intensity than the other instrument gauges. Makes it appear to be a non OEM aftermarket part. Same way on the Macan I had several years ago. I can't figure out Porsche's rationale behind instrument illumination (like the tach that has no backlighting during daytime although the other instruments do.) I wonder if there is a way to code the tach to illuminate during the day?
If only you could code this to work in daylight.
I haven't played with the tachometer lighting. There are a lot of parameters that look like they could affect it. I'll see if I can't get it to light up during the day. I agree the grey tach is a little hard to read, especially with the top down. I wish it was black and white like the rest of the gauges. Then again I may just get one of these:

Martin
Old 08-28-2022, 10:17 AM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mhconley
I haven't played with the tachometer lighting. There are a lot of parameters that look like they could affect it. I'll see if I can't get it to light up during the day. I agree the grey tach is a little hard to read, especially with the top down. I wish it was black and white like the rest of the gauges. Then again I may just get one of these:

Martin
Be careful on these aftermarket tach faces. I replaced mine with a red face. The quality is sub par. The numbers were nearly opaque, not as translucent as the original, greatly reducing their illumination (even with your change.) It is also very hard to restore the correct position of the tach pointer once it is removed from the shaft. It can be 100's of rpms off at idle once you reposition it to what you are certain is the zero position. There is no auto calibration of the tach at start up as in many other cars. I went back to the original gray face with many attempts to get the tach pointer to its correct position.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche_nuts (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 11:29 AM
mhconley
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 81 Posts

Be careful on these aftermarket tach faces. I replaced mine with a red face. The quality is sub par. The numbers were nearly opaque, not as translucent as the original, greatly reducing their illumination (even with your change.) It is also very hard to restore the correct position of the tach pointer once it is removed from the shaft. It can be 100's of rpms off at idle once you reposition it to what you are certain is the zero position. There is no auto calibration of the tach at start up as in many other cars. I went back to the original gray face with many attempts to get the tach pointer to its correct position.
Where did you get yours? I'm looking more and more at the one from AutoAmateur. I like the retro gauge face but the font mismatch bugs me. AutoAmateur's font matches the original.

Martin
Old 08-28-2022, 01:34 PM
straka
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes that's where I got mine. Auto Amateur was very good in refunding my purchase. This was the first time he offered the tach face for the 991.2. After my incident he stopped offering the tach face for the 991.2. It's now nine months later, perhaps the ones now for sale are better quality? The tach calibration is an issue that you could find challenging - I finally lucked out after many attempts.

Last edited by straka; 08-28-2022 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:34 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

I had gotten Auto Amateur's red chrono gauge for my last 991.1. I was pretty disappointed with the quality tbh.
He may have improved it now though. This was a couple years ago.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:49 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Jae S. Park
This is the screen shot of the sport chrono option menu that I saved last year and if I remember correctly it was PMW_MaxD changed to 255 that turned on the backlight to full brightness but still adjustable with dim switch on the instrument panel.

Edit: After re-reading Mhconley's post, i think my screenshot was before modifying and i can't remember which value I changed. I will have to look at my current numbers using my piwis 3. I do remember the change was from two digit number to a three digit. I will update when I return home in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by mhconley
I set PWM_MaxS to 255 and this is the result:

The Sport Chrono dial is lit as brightly as the other gauges and it dims with the dash lights. Exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for the hint Jae.

Martin
I love that someone figured this out. My buddy with a 997 has a sport Chrono that lights up beautifully and I’ve always wondered why ours didn’t. I now also wonder if the factory setting was an oversight and that perhaps it was always intended to be brighter.
Old 08-28-2022, 08:19 PM
Jae S. Park
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Teamwork!

Glad we got this figured out.
I do get bit of reflection on my windshield at night but not too noticeable.

I have tried red chrono and RPM gauge faces but red was too dark for the RPM face unless you get direct sunlight onto it.
I replaced them with yellow ones and much happier with the result. Red needle is easier to spot even with quick glance.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:20 PM
RP4S911
Pro

Received 581 Likes on 294 Posts

Anyone in the NJ area with a PIWIS. My dim chrono clock is so darn annoying.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:55 PM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Wonder if this can be edited with ThinkDiag?
Old 01-19-2024, 11:52 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 439 Posts

If only you could code this to work in daylight without the headlamps on.
I've been told that changing PIWIS to "white instrument faces" turns the light on all the time. I've asked my dealer to do this, but it didn't happen at my last service appointment. I've also read here that members with their own PIWIS have successfully made the change.
Old 02-10-2024, 07:47 PM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Default SC illumination with Thinkdiag

I was able to find how to set the Sport Chrono dial illumination with Thinkdiag.
You pick the module: Additional Instrument: Watch
Code Brush... then Coding Value
Coding value--PWM_MaxS
It was set at 10 for my car. I set it to FF (FF is 255 in Hexadecimal for all you geeks out there)

It syncs with the rest of the dash illumination.

Pictures below:

Last edited by thegenius; 02-10-2024 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:38 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thegenius
I was able to find how to set the Sport Chrono dial illumination with Thinkdiag.
You pick the module: Additional Instrument: Watch
Code Brush... then Coding Value
Coding value--PWM_MaxS
It was set at 10 for my car. I set it to FF (FF is 255 in Hexadecimal for all you geeks out there)

It syncs with the rest of the dash illumination.

Pictures below:

What year was yours? Tried mine which is a 2017 C2 with Sport Chrono and it didn't have Additional Instrument: Watch but rather Additional Instrument: Clock and failed when trying to update the PWM_MaxS. Mine was set at 30.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:45 AM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slowrey
What year was yours? Tried mine which is a 2017 C2 with Sport Chrono and it didn't have Additional Instrument: Watch but rather Additional Instrument: Clock and failed when trying to update the PWM_MaxS. Mine was set at 30.
mine is a 2013. What is the max value you can set?
Old 02-11-2024, 12:48 AM
slowrey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thegenius
mine is a 2013. What is the max value you can set?
I tried 250 and it failed on write too unfortunately.
Old 02-11-2024, 12:51 AM
thegenius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slowrey
I tried 250 and it failed on write too unfortunately.
when you are writing the value it tells you the max you can set. Just try whatever max you see.

Quick Reply: Is the Sport Chrono Illuminated?