Sponsored by:

Feedback on sport pasm

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Agree on that last statement, but I will concede that "harsh" isn't the right word. I'm not saying the X73 was better, and I won't disagree with the "go-kart" feel. The 911 is better, no doubt.

But if I had to choose which car I'd rather have coffee in, that's tough. Ultimately, neither is the correct answer.
Go kart feel belongs solely to a MINI and M cars. Go kart = crashy and X73 is leaps different from that, me having had 3 cars with X73 and countless MINIs and M cars. I loved X73. Taut but never crashy. Made me hate PASM until I discovered DSC and realized it's Porsche's electronic parameter choices that adversely affects PASM and keeps it from being level with X73. Overly lowering tire pressures purely for comfort has real world drawbacks in terms of handling and avoiding tire/wheel damage. Certainly the loaded recommendations are too high. If ANYONE complains about a 991's ride quality, which is a little stiff causing the wheels to bounce off bumps, you need to try the DSC controller, or quit whining.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 10-22-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:11 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,320 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
How do you ride with a lower pressure without the TPMS system giving you constant warnings about low tire pressure??

I also find the factory recommended tire pressure to be a bit "floaty" on the highway. With a lower tire pressure, the car feels might more planted and in control but the TPMS system keeps giving me a low tire pressure warning which is annoying.
Originally Posted by tmarino
I would also like to hear about adjusting the tire pressures as I have tried everything I have been able to find and still get constant warnings once I fall below the recommended settings. I tried the lower pressures and it does make a difference in ride quality for sure but I am really getting tired of the warnings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Go to your tire pressure display in the MFD, click the button to access the menu, and uncheck 'Full load'. This will set it to the 'comfort' pressures and stop giving you warnings for being below the max pressures.

You can also add other wheel sizes, and I believe target pressures, with a PIWIS. Haven't messed around with this on an Autel tablet unit, but will look into it next time I have access to one.
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
ajmza (01-14-2024), BlueShell (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 01:04 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
When you buy a car like this, lowered to the lowest the factory offers, I feel that you just need accept a stiffer ride.
​​​​
That’s crap. Don’t accept that Porsche’s PASM controller underperforms. Stiff is incongruent with the suspension excelling at its job. PASM is designed to react to road conditions. Unfortunately it’s slow and limited with the OEM controller. Making this change (DSC Sport) wakes up what the car can do. It’s not just to soften the effect of bumps. It keeps the car flat, and virtually eliminates dive and squat, therefore improving grip, turn in, traction and cornering. I have their normal profile loaded which is so much better than OEM and when I switch to PDCC their GT3 Touring file is in use which is really amazing.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 10-24-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:43 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Go kart feel belongs solely to a MINI and M cars. Go kart = crashy and X73 is leaps different from that,
No, go-kart is not crashy. If you've ever raced a go-kart, you'll know that it means that it's completely dead-flat in the corners, and feels like it's on rails. The X73 suspension in conjunction with the Cayman chassis evokes that kind of comparison, at least for me. The 911 does not. It's equally competent, or perhaps even more so especially with SPASM. I get more outright grip and cornering ability before the rear breaks out in the 911 than I ever did with the Cayman.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:25 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Go kart feel belongs solely to a MINI and M cars. Go kart = crashy and X73 is leaps different from that, me having had 3 cars with X73 and countless MINIs and M cars. I loved X73. Taut but never crashy. Made me hate PASM until I discovered DSC and realized it's Porsche's electronic parameter choices that adversely affects PASM and keeps it from being level with X73. Overly lowering tire pressures purely for comfort has real world drawbacks in terms of handling and avoiding tire/wheel damage. Certainly the loaded recommendations are too high. If ANYONE complains about a 991's ride quality, which is a little stiff causing the wheels to bounce off bumps, you need to try the DSC controller, or quit whining.
So if I get the DSC controller and spill coffee in my car, I can come to you for recompense?
The following users liked this post:
MidEngineRules (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:46 AM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

SPASM owner here. Ride is good, a little stiffer than PASM equipped cars. I was very leary of it before purchase because of the unbearable ride quality and stiffness of a previous 911 with Sports Chassis (996) that I owned. Turned out to be a non-issue and I do like the lower stance from the factory. I have a very steep driveway and just have to go slow and take an angle. I say go for it if you otherwise like the car, handling is superb BTW...
Old 10-25-2020, 11:41 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by enzotcat
No, go-kart is not crashy. If you've ever raced a go-kart, you'll know that it means that it's completely dead-flat in the corners, and feels like it's on rails. The X73 suspension in conjunction with the Cayman chassis evokes that kind of comparison, at least for me. The 911 does not. It's equally competent, or perhaps even more so especially with SPASM. I get more outright grip and cornering ability before the rear breaks out in the 911 than I ever did with the Cayman.
I see what you’re saying. X73 with the beefier ARBs does give very flat cornering, while compliant enough not to bounce off road irregularities and X73 is fairly quiet for as stiff as it is. Where the 987/981 suffer is lateral grip in comparison, but the mid engine setup does make for excellent corner speed if you have the grip. My Cayman R combined with Bridgestone RE11s was quite a great handling car. But it doesn’t have near the wide track and rear grip of a 911 especially a wide body.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

That’s crap. Don’t accept that Porsche’s PASM controller underperforms. Stiff is incongruent with the suspension excelling at its job. PASM is designed to react to road conditions. Unfortunately it’s slow and limited with the OEM controller. Making this change (DSC Sport) wakes up what the car can do. It’s not just to soften the effect of bumps. It keeps the car flat, and virtually eliminates dive and squat, therefore improving grip, turn in, traction and cornering. I have their normal profile loaded which is so much better than OEM and when I switch to PDCC their GT3 Touring file is in use which is really amazing.
My point was that a sport's car offers a stiffer ride than say, a luxury vehicle, that isn't meant to perform like a 911. Different horses for different courses.

I had a DSC on my C7. I wasn't moved enough to purchase one for my 911. The C7's ride was fairly compliant.
I really don't have complaints about any vehicle's rides unless they are lowered with springs. Then they become jarring over time.

That's just me... I'm perfectly happy with my SPASM.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:32 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Received 386 Likes on 201 Posts

I see what you’re saying. X73 with the beefier ARBs does give very flat cornering, while compliant enough not to bounce off road irregularities and X73 is fairly quiet for as stiff as it is. Where the 987/981 suffer is lateral grip in comparison, but the mid engine setup does make for excellent corner speed if you have the grip. My Cayman R combined with Bridgestone RE11s was quite a great handling car. But it doesn’t have near the wide track and rear grip of a 911 especially a wide body.
Yes, 100%!
Old 10-26-2020, 02:54 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by casaforte9
Friend looking at a car in another state that has sport pasm , would like to know how is the ride quality from owners having heard that it can be rough from a online review

sport pasm on 992 we drove was fine

Thank you
Sport PASM is very comfortable, even for long trips.
The following users liked this post:
slingshot60 (11-07-2020)

Quick Reply: Feedback on sport pasm