Sponsored by:

991.2 base non pse exhaust upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 06:58 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeL31
As long as it doesn’t throw cel and everything reads as normal, it will pass when they plug in to the obd2
Not only. CA smog stations also do a visual and if something is non-stock they can flunk you even without a CEL on or not having the proper monitors set. This would be the advantage of having OEM Porsche parts installed as they would be CARB approved by default (unless installed on a different make/model than original). If they flunk you on a visual, you may be sent to a BAR referee station which is bad news because these guys will go over the car with a fine tooth comb, so to speak.

That being said, I doubt if most smog station (ie gas station) techs know enough about Porsche to really know if a well crafted aftermarket exhaust system is non stock. This is also aided by the fact it is nearly impossible to see all parts of this system through the engine bay covers.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:24 PM
mrpat3l
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalwiz
I spoke with their rep. Such a cool guy. Unfortunately, i'm in California and the cats aren't emissions legal and I'm don't want to deal with removing them for emission testing every two years. California is awful in this regard.
Damn, if that's the case I would go with Soul x-pipes the anti-drone version, sound will be louder, you wont get the deeper sound that the cats produce but your car will sound much better than stock.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Hi there! Give feel free to reach out to us 1.714.432.1582 or email Sales@gmgracing.com.
Our 991.2 WC-Sport Exhaust System is fantastic. It includes 200-cell sport catalytic converters (OBD2- compliant).
Thanks, I just spoke to GMG and the 200 cel cats aren't CARB certified. I don't want the hassle of a visual inspection causing me to have to convert back to stock, so I'm going to pass for now.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:44 AM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 301 Posts

Knowing that you can't do sport cats, why not just do the anti-drone version of the Soul exhaust? For the money, I don't think you can go wrong, plus it gives you the pops you'd like. Don't underestimate the anti-drone addition to the exhaust. I've ridden in a car that droned for about 90 minutes and it was maddening (CTS-V).
They have some nice sound clips on the page as well. Give John at Soul a call. They're a great group of guys (I've been to their facilities to pick up my exhaust).
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...haust-systems/
Old 10-23-2020, 07:37 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

I appreciate the advice. I spoke with Dan at sharkwerks in Fremont, CA today and they haven't installed their non pse exhaust on a manual 991.2 base before. So we're going to give it a shot and let them market the results. I'll update you all on the results. My car doesn't pop or crackle, so I'm not sure what to expect, but it'll be louder. We're about 3 weeks out.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:39 PM
digitalwiz
Instructor

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Knowing that you can't do sport cats, why not just do the anti-drone version of the Soul exhaust? For the money, I don't think you can go wrong, plus it gives you the pops you'd like. Don't underestimate the anti-drone addition to the exhaust. I've ridden in a car that droned for about 90 minutes and it was maddening (CTS-V).
They have some nice sound clips on the page as well. Give John at Soul a call. They're a great group of guys (I've been to their facilities to pick up my exhaust).
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-9...haust-systems/
thanks, I spoke with them and they aren't sure what kind of sounds i'll get if I don't swap cats. Pops and crackles not guaranteed. Their local guy hasn't installed their exhaust on a 991.2 yet, so he can't say what to expect either.

Quick Reply: 991.2 base non pse exhaust upgrade advice