Cost of 80k Service 991

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Sad that this is considered "major."
I am boycotting my local dealer. The $500 oil changes and ridiculous time based services needed to end.

This unfortunately will continue to stop me from further investment in the brand beyond occasional use sports cars.

My BMW M40i goes in for an oil change. It’s 100 bucks at BMW. It’s there for the day and I get a brand new BMW loaner.

Last time I went to Porsche for an oil change in my 981. They had the car for three days. They left it parked outside in the sun with bird droppings baking into it and etching the clear. The interior came back with grease stains on it. Etc. I had an Audi loaner car which is fine but it had been smoked in at one point. Had 75k miles. Etc.

The icing on the cake was when I had to wait for the service tech that “knew how to drive a manual” come back from break to get me car as 2 young service runners stood around staring at the car as if it was alien because it had a clutch.
The following 2 users liked this post by ClassJ:
kones (10-03-2020), ngamountains (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 09:07 AM
chowmein
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am boycotting my local dealer. The $500 oil changes and ridiculous time based services needed to end.

This unfortunately will continue to stop me from further investment in the brand beyond occasional use sports cars.

My BMW M40i goes in for an oil change. It’s 100 bucks at BMW. It’s there for the day and I get a brand new BMW loaner.

Last time I went to Porsche for an oil change in my 981. They had the car for three days. They left it parked outside in the sun with bird droppings baking into it and etching the clear. The interior came back with grease stains on it. Etc. I had an Audi loaner car which is fine but it had been smoked in at one point. Had 75k miles. Etc.

The icing on the cake was when I had to wait for the service tech that “knew how to drive a manual” come back from break to get me car as 2 young service runners stood around staring at the car as if it was alien because it had a clutch.
Paul Miller? They've given me an Audi loaner before.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

At 80K I'd want to start doing some additional pro-active maintenance to include a gear lube/trans fluid change and a coolant flush. That was my plan this year, then COVID hit, and I haven't driven much this year. Only at 77K. Will do next year.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:56 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by slimmn
Plus tax
Originally Posted by rnl
plugs. oil

indy sb around $500

stealership, probably $18,000
plus $1500 Environmental Compliance fee to dispose of used oil to folks who pay dealer to collect it
Old 10-03-2020, 12:17 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I need to run a backyard oil change business geared towards 911s. 9 quarts of Mobil1 5W-50 (I prefer it over 0W-40) can be had for $5.79/qt on sale plus $18 for a Mahle filter; 991 3.0 liter engines takes 9.2 quarts of oil. It's so easy, even a caveman can do it! Also, when did routine maintenance (brake flush, plug change, filter change, etc.) become "major" maintenance items?
Exactly my thoughts. This used to be standard stuff years ago. Why is it considered major now? Yes Porsche makes it a bit more difficult just based on engine location, etc. But in the age of YouTube and the internet, if you have any mechanical skills at all, this can be done by most people.

80k "major" sounds identical to the 40k service. We did it ourselves. Probably took 3-4 hours. Oil, plugs, brakes, all 3 filters. Very doable if you have the tools. I get that not everyone has a shop to work in. It's just unfortunate that these services are so expensive, when in reality, they are not.
The following users liked this post:
edirtaynine (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 06:21 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts

Assuming a 991.2 base, I took a look at the "911 Maintenance" booklet that came with my car ('17 C2). An 80K service, based on mileage, includes:

Oil and filter change
Particle Filter Element replace (inside car)
Air Intake Pre-Filter replace (in frunk)
Wheel off brake pads and disks inspection
At 80K in particular, the list includes "Ancillary unit mounts and chassis: Visual inspection of all rubber mountings and boots for damage"
Filter elements of air cleaner replacement
Brake fluid
Additional various inspections and checks
Readout fault memory and reset maint interval
Test drive

Depending on time, there are additional service items:

Spark plugs (30K or 4 years)
Check drive belt (60K or 4 years; replacement is 60K or 6 years)

What I've found is that dealers will have a "menu" of costs for standard service, in terms of hours. So the dealer will charge you for parts, plus the standard number of hours to conduct the service (and inspections), multiplied by the hourly shop rate. This can vary considerably; the cost of shop rate in Los Angeles is going to be different than the shop rate in Sarasota Florida.

An indy will charge you for the parts, plus their time to conduct the service, and the "inspections", to their local standard, whatever that is.

Without going into specifics on the parts, you'd have to make some assumptions about the shop time, and rate, to predict a typical service cost.

Probably a better bet is to call a local to you dealer and ask for a rough estimate of price, and then compare it with an Indy mechanic you trust. I would not be surprised at an all in figure of $2,000 to $2,500 for an 80K service at a dealer; with an Indy being maybe 50% of that. Obviously I defer to those with more experience. But in this case it highly depends on where you are.

There are also plenty of DIY threads, and this forum has any number of helpful folks, who can assist in performing most of these services if not all yourself. If you can do that, you can get the service out of the way, and only take the car to the dealer for the "inspection" part, and anything you don't want to tackle yourself.
Msgm1 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 07:33 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Assuming a 991.2 base, I took a look at the "911 Maintenance" booklet that came with my car ('17 C2). An 80K service, based on mileage, includes:

Oil and filter change
Particle Filter Element replace (inside car)
Air Intake Pre-Filter replace (in frunk)
Wheel off brake pads and disks inspection
At 80K in particular, the list includes "Ancillary unit mounts and chassis: Visual inspection of all rubber mountings and boots for damage"
Filter elements of air cleaner replacement
Brake fluid
Additional various inspections and checks
Readout fault memory and reset maint interval
Test drive

Depending on time, there are additional service items:

Spark plugs (30K or 4 years)
Check drive belt (60K or 4 years; replacement is 60K or 6 years)

What I've found is that dealers will have a "menu" of costs for standard service, in terms of hours. So the dealer will charge you for parts, plus the standard number of hours to conduct the service (and inspections), multiplied by the hourly shop rate. This can vary considerably; the cost of shop rate in Los Angeles is going to be different than the shop rate in Sarasota Florida.

An indy will charge you for the parts, plus their time to conduct the service, and the "inspections", to their local standard, whatever that is.

Without going into specifics on the parts, you'd have to make some assumptions about the shop time, and rate, to predict a typical service cost.

Probably a better bet is to call a local to you dealer and ask for a rough estimate of price, and then compare it with an Indy mechanic you trust. I would not be surprised at an all in figure of $2,000 to $2,500 for an 80K service at a dealer; with an Indy being maybe 50% of that. Obviously I defer to those with more experience. But in this case it highly depends on where you are.

There are also plenty of DIY threads, and this forum has any number of helpful folks, who can assist in performing most of these services if not all yourself. If you can do that, you can get the service out of the way, and only take the car to the dealer for the "inspection" part, and anything you don't want to tackle yourself.
Or DIY for about 400-500 bucks in parts Including coil packs .

It took me about 3 hours in my apartment parking spot.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:55 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts

Personally I hate how the dealers act like they’re not overcharging. “Our rates are competitive with other nearby dealers...we cross shop them often.” Literal explanation provided by local service manager for the $2300+ 40k service (oil, filters, plugs, brake flush). I would happily pay a 30% premium for dealer work over an Indy but that premium is more like 150%. Best part is watching how many new Panameras get flatbedded in with failures (4 on my last visit). PORSCHE: People Oughta Research Service Costs - Highly Exploitative. (Last two could last stand for hellish extortion).

Cheers,
NF.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:05 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NF4710
. “Our rates are competitive with other nearby dealers...we cross shop them often.”
NF.

...I am no antitrust expert but you know, that sounds like price fixing as opposed to market research
Old 10-04-2020, 09:21 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
...I am no antitrust expert but you know, that sounds like price fixing as opposed to market research
I have heard that there essentially are local handshakes between dealers. I believe they do the same thing regarding new car discounts.

When the 981 was released, I had a build ready and deposit in hand. One local NJ dealer offered me $1000 off sticker (as a “friendly gesture of good faith”). I proposed 7% and the SA laughed. Said that he could assure me they no local dealer would undercut them that hard and I would need to wait a good long time for a deal like that on an aging punched car.

Within a week I had the deal done and the car ordered at another dealer.

The original SA later called and when he heard the news was quite furious and wanted to know which dealer made that deal so he could advise his management. Of course it was none of their business.
gearFX (10-05-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 11:00 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I have heard that there essentially are local handshakes between dealers. I believe they do the same thing regarding new car discounts.

When the 981 was released, I had a build ready and deposit in hand. One local NJ dealer offered me $1000 off sticker (as a “friendly gesture of good faith”). I proposed 7% and the SA laughed. Said that he could assure me they no local dealer would undercut them that hard and I would need to wait a good long time for a deal like that on an aging punched car.

Within a week I had the deal done and the car ordered at another dealer.

The original SA later called and when he heard the news was quite furious and wanted to know which dealer made that deal so he could advise his management. Of course it was none of their business.
All you have to say is "Exxon Mobil" to understand that antitrust law is gone forever.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:38 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 494 Posts
Thumbs up

This is GREAT except it appears to be for the 991.1. I would think that there may be a couple of small changes with the changeover from .1 to .2 - particularly, I'm wondering about the rear-axle-steering component as well as any changes related to going from NA to turbos. But this is great, so THANK YOU!!!

Quick Reply: Cost of 80k Service 991