Sponsored by:

Center Radiator - Worth the Trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
OP, I would do it. What do you have to lose?

Edit: For the uninitiated like me, here is an interesting video that explains what this center radiator mod is all about. For those looking to do this mod, the video also serves a nice DIY instructional purpose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mUcnOP8YW4
The guy in this video says ALL 991.2 have the center radiator. Is that true?
Old 10-06-2020, 09:50 PM
Wrtflyr
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2017 991.2 CS PDK CAB doesn’t.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:03 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

They were standard in the Middle East (super hot climates) from what I understand. They were not an add on option when building new anywhere else but could be retro fitted. No issues with adding and not needing-not much weight difference (7 lbs or so) and makes the center vent functional!
Old 10-06-2020, 10:34 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
This topic interests me. Was the center radiator ever an option for the 991.2? When did it come out and for what purpose besides the obvious to keep engine cooler? Was there an issue that led for this to be created? And most importantly, any harm in having it and not needing it besides the expense and added weight?
As someone else stated, no, 991.2 models DO NOT have the center radiator installed as standard, but they DO come ready for the addition of the 3rd rad with brackets/mounting points and plumbing already on the car.

As to the 3rd rad as an option, not listed as such. However, it could be something to discussed with a sales advisor on a special order. If I had to do my order over, I would have requested the 3rd rad and rear seat delete.

Read through the thread, gives you answers to your questions.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:00 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

This topic interests me. Was the center radiator ever an option for the 991.2? When did it come out and for what purpose besides the obvious to keep engine cooler? Was there an issue that led for this to be created? And most importantly, any harm in having it and not needing it besides the expense and added weight?
As BSO states, 991.2's do not come standard with the center rad. If you live in a very hot climate or track in one, then the center radiator is a good idea as I learned a few weeks ago. If you use your car on the street then it most likely is not required unless your climate is very hot. I can't be 100% certain but believe my temps were always good on the road, even when flogging it pretty hard. The center rad could have reduced the temp but I was still within acceptable temps.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:15 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I do not see a need here in FL albeit I do not track my car, and this past summer was HOT! I do run it in Sport or Sport+ all of the time so it does help keep the temp down so I have no plans whatsoever to add a 3rd.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:15 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
And I always thought that my 911 had 4 radiators-2 in the front and 2 in the rear which are air cooled. My 991.2 GTS is not NA but has not just uno but dos turbos? Cowabunga brah! I must've definitely slept through 4 years of engineering classes. Silly me!

Do you have PDK? If so, how does it hold up on the track in Vegas heat?
Mine is a manual so no overheating issues on that trans....
Old 10-08-2020, 10:28 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
So I just bought all the pieces for the center radiator kit from GetPorscheParts; did not want to buy the "kit" from another supplier because I don't need another second cowling (finish piece - what ever it is called as I have one). That said, I noticed on multiple sites that there appears to be a duct missing that I assume funnels the air into the radiator.

The top section is a listing for the parts for the center radiator; all of which I have ordered.
https://www.getporscheparts.com/v-20...and-components

This is what appears to be missing - thoughts on whether I really need this? It needs to be ordered from Germany.
https://www.getporscheparts.com/oem-...g2LWdhcw%3D%3D

I have a track event in a few weeks so I really want this in but hoping to avoid installing, attaching the bumper and then having to take it off again for the duct.
The second part is needed. Not optional in my opinion.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:35 AM
supercroc
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

If you purchased your Porsche in a place whose predominant feature was sand, you got this.

Quick Reply: Center Radiator - Worth the Trouble?