Sponsored by:

Rear bumper cover scratches after dealer repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 10:56 PM
FlintGTS
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear bumper cover scratches after dealer repair

What would you do in this scenario? After searching for months and inspecting many cars only to find one in my desired condition and spec (yes I’m very OCD about the condition of vehicles I purchase) I finally found the right 991.2 GTS for me about 2 months ago. Car was in pristine condition with 6000 miles. 2 weeks ago I brought the car to my local dealership in Cincinnati due to the water pump leaking. They immediately took the car in but it took almost two weeks due to needing to order parts. When I picked the car up yesterday, on the way home it through a cooling system fault. Returned back they tried to trouble shoot but ultimately decided to keep it to dig in again to find what they believed was a vacuum fault. Today I get the call it’s fixed. They said after a DME software update the problem was resolved and didn’t reoccur and they did recheck all work to make sure all Vacuum lines were secured. I get it home tonight so happy to have it back after almost two weeks and celebrate with a wash. As I begin the last step with some spray coating on the rear bumper I am shocked. I find very noticeable scuffing behind both tail lights, a chip with missing paint on the rear bumper, notice the rear spoiler no longer sits flush with the body work on one side only as well as some additional scratches just behind the spoiler on the engine cover. I’m so upset. I’ve detailed every inch of this car meticulously and I know these are all fresh. How would you approach the dealership. Is it even worth it or will they brush me off?

Old 09-23-2020, 10:59 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,099 Likes on 659 Posts

Do you have any relationship with this dealer?
Old 09-23-2020, 11:04 PM
FlintGTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Do you have any relationship with this dealer?
Unfortunately none whatsoever being my first Porsche. What was interesting is they had my entire service history and personal information on file from my relationship with the local Audi dealership.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:38 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I would contact the service manager about the damage as soon as possible. Mistakes and accidents can happen even at the best shops. It sounds like the Audi and Porsche dealerships are under common ownership if they both have your data. So, at some level, you do have a relationship.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Contact them right away!! Let them know what damage is, bring it to them for inspection.
ask them to repair it by their authorized Porsche collision center.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:52 PM
Levy
Racer

Received 284 Likes on 163 Posts

i'd stay calm/collected for starters. just tell the service manager what happened. they should have video of the service drive (drop off/pick up area). maybe its high res enough to see the damage/or lack of damage at drop off. scuffs appear light and should be easy to fix. chip/paint scratches and spoiler alignment will take some work. bring any pre-damage pictures you might have to show the before condition. if you're reasonable and they did indeed cause the damage, i can't see why the dealer wouldn't remedy the situation. if reasonable fails to get results, then move on to irate/raging mode next =)

what ever you do...start the process right away. best of luck

cheers, Lev
Old 09-23-2020, 11:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Yeah, you have to bring this up or you will always wonder "what if". I always inspect my vehicles when I pick them up and when I drop them off I tell the advisor how **** I am and do a walk around with him or her at that time, which has always done the trick since I always ask them to tell the tech to be extra careful. So the next time do the same but for now be polite but firm and I am sure they will take care of it all since it only needs an adjustment and paint correction, besides the paint chip of course. I would settle for a touchup and free oil change but that is something you will have to discuss with the Service Manager.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 AM
FlintGTS
Intermediate

I’m going to drive up there in the morning and start calm and matter of fact and give them the opportunity to make it right before I go next level on them. I’ll report back. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:11 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 78 Posts

Going to the workshop always have side affects

my last visit I asked them to not wash my car, as I always do. They had it sit outside with big bird poop on the spoiler that etched the clearcoat ..didn’t even clean it when they delivered the car..they treat these cars (~170k) like crap....

Last edited by fester; 09-24-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:21 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Was there a pre/post-service walkaround/inspection conducted?

My local dealer always does this. It covers both parties in case of a he said/she said situation like yours.

Even if there was no such inspection, I would approach the service manager and - CALMLY - state that you have discovered damage since picking up your car. Then the rest is diplomacy and negotiation.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
drcollie (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:18 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

That’s unacceptable, especially at a dealership. I had scratches all over my Audi once at the dealer after they had to remove the headliner to fix a water leak and they promptly told me after I complained that they’d have it all corrected at their body shop. That’s why I like that with my 997, you just open the engine lid instead of having to remove the damn rear bumper and taillights just to work on the engine. You have to remove so much crap that if they’re not careful, everything gets scratched up. Hope they do the right thing and offer to make things right.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 588 Likes on 301 Posts

The scratches are a tougher call on what the easiest and best solution would be (polishing on your own versus involving dealer), however the chip is totally not okay. As is any alignment change with the lid/panel. Call them immediately and nicely explain damage was done to the rear bumper. They need to remedy it. Your relationship or past patronage does not matter. They can't chip bumpers during removal. Again, the scratches can be removed in minutes but the chip is going to require paint work. Which can be done perfectly.

Last edited by Ceepe; 09-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:01 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 429 Posts

That's unfortunate.

In the shop area where you had the work done have you seen how they handle body parts when working on cars?

Stands, Racks and moving blankets seem to be the norm to protect removed parts.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 AM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

My indie shop put a scratch on my rear bumper during a recent service. I didn't notice it until I got home. I took a photo of the scratch and sent it to the manager. They sent a mobile detailer to my house that buffed the scratch out. No issue about owning up to scratch.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,220 Likes on 737 Posts

The scratches and chip can be fixed. Have them fix it and then look for another shop. The dealership should have been upfront about it and let you know when you picked up the car, honestly.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper cover scratches after dealer repair