Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires on a 911 in Middle TN?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 06:02 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Winter Tires on a 911 in Middle TN?

I'm searching fervently for my first P-car ever, with both C2S and C4S 991.2's on my radar. As a result, I am evaluating the need for winter tires on a 911 in Middle TN where I live. Has anyone else lived in this part of the US with a 911? If so, what is/was your seasonal tire setup?

The tough thing is: Even in the middle of winter, the temperature can swing up into the 50s and 60s, well above the ideal window for winter tires. The next day, it can be freezing. Weather can be VERY inconsistent around here in the winter...it's frustrating.

I know choosing the right tire for one's conditions is important, so I'm just trying to do this right.

I'd like to hear the thoughts of those that have not lived in Middle TN as well. Here's an average monthly temperature chart:

Last edited by Marantz2270; 09-12-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:15 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Is this your only car? Do you have to get to work no matter the conditions? Get winters....if not, you can probably get away with summers if you drive carefully. Dont bother with all seasons (ie no season) tires IMO.

I live in NC but have family in TN. Similar temperature range and I run winter tires. I could probably get by with summers BUT when it is wet and 30-40 they have very little traction. A benefit that most people do not mention is that the driving experience is different on winter tires....lest traction, softer and can slide around a bit more at lower speeds. It’s a bit more fun and playful. Then you swap back to summers and you have a more responsive and grippy car again. Running winter tires at 50-60 F every once and awhile is not going to hurt anything.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Tempus fugit
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I live in Knoxville TN and we have similar weather. I use Michelin Pilot 4S in the summer and Michelin Alpine in the winter. I generally change over to winter tires in mid to late November and back to summer tires sometime in March. The key metric for me is not to drive on my summer tires at or below 40 degrees and not to be on my winter tires above 70 and really don't push them above 65 degrees. I've found the summer performance tires, including some time on Pirelli P Zeros, really degrade around 40 degrees and I would not feel safe of them in a hard braking situation. Obviously, tire performance is temperature dependent so I just don't push them too hard when near their temp margins.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tempus fugit:
Al.Fresco (09-12-2020), maplefrm (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 08:04 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 343 Posts

What do you drive now and what kind of tires do you have? Is it your only option to drive or is there another vehicle you can take if it is very cold (possibility of flurries?) or possibly icy?

I had my Boxster (base 1999) with snow tires in Michigan and in Iowa, but on both states there was a lot of snow and a true winter. Also had a 997.2 4S with winter tires in Iowa when I was working. I am retired now so I did not get snows for the Targa, My wife has a BMW X3 that we swap to snows in November and back to Summer tires in April so we can get anywhere we need short of a major blizzard. I do not put my 2015 Targa 4S or my BMW Z8 "away" for the winter and drive both of them (carefully) anytime the temperatures are at the minimum of 35-40F and both have high performance tires on them (Michelin PS4 on Porsche and Bridgestone Potenza S-04 on the Bimmer.

If you do not have any other options for transportation and must drive in January and February when it might not be safe with high performance summer tires, I would just get a set of inexpensive rims and good winter/snow tires from Tirerack and switch out at the end of November and back in early March in order to be 100% safe at all times. Not expensive and better be safe than sorry.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:00 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
Is this your only car? Do you have to get to work no matter the conditions? Get winters....if not, you can probably get away with summers if you drive carefully. Dont bother with all seasons (ie no season) tires IMO.

I live in NC but have family in TN. Similar temperature range and I run winter tires. I could probably get by with summers BUT when it is wet and 30-40 they have very little traction. A benefit that most people do not mention is that the driving experience is different on winter tires....lest traction, softer and can slide around a bit more at lower speeds. It’s a bit more fun and playful. Then you swap back to summers and you have a more responsive and grippy car again. Running winter tires at 50-60 F every once and awhile is not going to hurt anything.
The 911 will be a second car, I'll be keeping my 2004 Tacoma TRD, which runs Michelin Defender LTX M/S's. They are an all-season tire, which is the only type tire I've ever really experienced for extended periods of time. it's good to know that 50-60 deg F won't be too big of a deal on occasion. I'll plan on getting a set with my car.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 418 Posts

Dickson TN here.

I run on dedicated 19" winters that I picked up 2nd hand because I do travel during the winter when the weather is unpredictable.

Now that there's a all season tire available in 20" I'm probably going to go that route next.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:19 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 742 Likes on 526 Posts

If you have the room and want to drive the 911 whenever you choose, then get a set of winter wheels. If you really can only drive on the warmest days in another car, then maybe you don’t need a winter set. I got a Porsche winter set since the centerlock non OEM options either looked bad or barely saved me any. I can drive whenever and whenever. The AWD keeps you on the road confidently. Be safe.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:39 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 618 Posts

A tough question. Where I live, in addition to the season changes, temperatures typically vary 40 to 50 degrees every day. And depending on the direction I head (north is up to higher mountains, south is down to the desert country), it can add another 20 degrees of change.

I have dedicated summer and winter tires mounted. And I have accepted that except for mid summer and mid winter, I may need to swap tires depending on daily conditions and route.

As for TN, I would be cautious about doing much and/or spirited driving on summer tires with temps (especially road surface temps) much below 50F. I think modern winter performance tires can handle temps well above freezing. They just wear faster when the temps are warm.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 PM
SFernando
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I just bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980 all season tires in 20” for my 991.2 here in Northern Virginia. I had them mounted on to the existing wheels using a mobile tire installer (Tread Connection). They drive great (I don’t track) and are much quieter than the Pirelli PZeros that I am storing for strict summer use.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:49 PM
Modshack
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SFernando
I just bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE980 all season tires in 20” for my 991.2 here in Northern Virginia..
Just did the same as I wanted to expand my usability of the car. NC here, but the mountains (and cold weather) call me a few times a year. VERY impressed with the ""feel" on my AWD Turbo.
These will be my year rounders...
Old 09-14-2020, 03:57 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 315 Posts

RE980 all seasons here in Calgary, Alberta as well. We do get full-on winter, but we also have lots of clear, warm, dry days through winter where the car could be driven. I used to park it from Nov 1-March 31, but now I'll keep the insurance on it year-round.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Dickson TN here.

I run on dedicated 19" winters that I picked up 2nd hand because I do travel during the winter when the weather is unpredictable.

Now that there's a all season tire available in 20" I'm probably going to go that route next.
Done deal, I'm pulling the trigger on a winter wheel/tire when the time comes.

I'd consider all-seasons, but if I go 992 (still a possibility), there ain't nothin' out there that I've seen that is a viable all-season option.
The following users liked this post:
shammerman (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 05:03 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by bkrantz
A tough question. Where I live, in addition to the season changes, temperatures typically vary 40 to 50 degrees every day. And depending on the direction I head (north is up to higher mountains, south is down to the desert country), it can add another 20 degrees of change.

I have dedicated summer and winter tires mounted. And I have accepted that except for mid summer and mid winter, I may need to swap tires depending on daily conditions and route.

As for TN, I would be cautious about doing much and/or spirited driving on summer tires with temps (especially road surface temps) much below 50F. I think modern winter performance tires can handle temps well above freezing. They just wear faster when the temps are warm.
Yeah, good to know that faster wear is the main concern for winter tires. I don't mind that with some occasionally warmer winter days, I just want to be safe and responsible.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:45 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
Done deal, I'm pulling the trigger on a winter wheel/tire when the time comes.

I'd consider all-seasons, but if I go 992 (still a possibility), there ain't nothin' out there that I've seen that is a viable all-season option.
Good call. I was slipping around a bit this morning on my Michelin 4S and it was only 10c (about 50f). Not really sure why anyone would buy all season tires for a 911.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:27 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Good call. I was slipping around a bit this morning on my Michelin 4S and it was only 10c (about 50f). Not really sure why anyone would buy all season tires for a 911.
All depends on where you live. In Germany we were required to switch to winter tires, and there’s no such thing as an all season tire there. Growing up in Charlotte NC you can get by with summer tires most of the time, other than ice/snow. Mainly because the pavement aggregate is sand and it’s like driving on sandpaper. Grip is fantastic but it shreds tires. I also lived in the NC mountains and what I said about Charlotte doesn’t apply.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 09-15-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires on a 911 in Middle TN?