Sponsored by:

Porsche Auto Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Porsche Auto Insurance

Anyone sign up for it? I know it is not available everywhere yet. Wanted to get any thoughts.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:49 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Everyone's personal situation is so different I am not sure a quote from someone else is going to help. I have Progressive and it is a lot cheaper than Allstate who I had in the past. If you search this forum though you will find a few insurance threads but if it is available in your area get a quote and see how it compares to what you have now.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:53 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Everyone's personal situation is so different I am not sure a quote from someone else is going to help. I have Progressive and it is a lot cheaper than Allstate who I had in the past. If you search this forum though you will find a few insurance threads but if it is available in your area get a quote and see how it compares to what you have now.
Completely understand, guess just looking for customer service, claims, things like that. There are a lot of variables just wondering about reputation etc.

I have AAA and pretty happy with them. The pay per mile sounds very attractive but not sure what the base rate would be.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:56 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

I’m definitely going to shop USAA as I think they have raised rates. Two rate affecting variables are whether you commute and how many miles you predict you’ll drive per year.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:56 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 282 Posts

I have been with Porsche auto insurance for about 10 months. You pay per mile. If you drive your 911 about 8k miles annually or more it’s probably close to what you would pay other insurers. They require me to send a photo of my odometer every six months. If you drive over your estimated mileage you owe them and if under they send you a check or they give you a credit for the upcoming six months. I have not had to use them for any claims so no clue how they are. Think it is a good deal for people who do not put many miles on their car.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:56 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I am on my third six month renewal with Porsche Auto Insurance and I'm happy with them. With a 6000 mile per year estimate I saved about $400 per year over my old insurance (Auto Owners) and about $700 had I gone with Hagerty. You get Porsche OEM parts and Porsche certified collision shops.

Available in Illinois, Oregon and Georgia.

I think it is worth your time to check it out.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:27 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Note that the insurance product (at least in Georgia) is offered by Miles Auto (under Porsche branding). Not sure if signing up directly would save any more money.

The quote for my Porsche, only driven ~4,000 miles/year was roughly 50% of what I pay USAA now, at similar but not exactly identical coverage/limits. The discount was only about 15% off what I currently pay for a different vehicle that I drive 12,000 miles/year, so it seems the discount is greatest for vehicles that are not driven as much (since you're paying by the mile).

I am undecided on what to do, since I have no experience with Miles Auto but have a great history with USAA. Most auto body shops love working with USAA because they are so responsive and easy to deal with. They have served me well in the past too, but Porsche Insurance does have my attention due to the potential cost savings.

Last edited by gearFX; 09-10-2020 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 650 Posts

I noticed there was diminished value coverage along with agreed value coverage. That's interesting. Makes for a good comparison to Hagerty.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts

I got a quote and the price seems to be close to what I'm paying American Family.

The savings may come in if I drive less then 5000 miles/year. That's the variability that I'd rather not deal with.

I'm heading for a 1000+ mile weekend tomorrow. I don't want to have to calculate how much my insurance would change each month I do something like that.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:02 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 523 Posts

I need to carry higher limits due to personal umbrella. What are you guys averaging for annual premiums.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:10 AM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

I find it quite funny that I was sent an advert in the mail this week by Porsche Auto Insurance to request a quote, and they do not even offer coverage in my state. Ironically, I received one from VW and Audi too.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:34 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
Note that the insurance product (at least in Georgia) is offered by Miles Auto (under Porsche branding). Not sure if signing up directly would save any more money.

The quote for my Porsche, only driven ~4,000 miles/year was roughly 50% of what I pay USAA now, at similar but not exactly identical coverage/limits. The discount was only about 15% off what I currently pay for a different vehicle that I drive 12,000 miles/year, so it seems the discount is greatest for vehicles that are not driven as much (since you're paying by the mile).

I am undecided on what to do, since I have no experience with Miles Auto but have a great history with USAA. Most auto body shops love working with USAA because they are so responsive and easy to deal with. They have served me well in the past too, but Porsche Insurance does have my attention due to the potential cost savings.
I forgot to mention: Exactly 2 days after I submitted my info online to request a quote from Porsche, I got letters from 5 different auto insurance companies (none of them Porsche or Miles Auto). Another one showed up yesterday (late to the party).
Old 09-11-2020, 11:26 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 356 Likes on 224 Posts

Interesting, I was wondering how competitive they were. I daily drive my Cayman so not sure that would beat my current rates as I put on about 9-11k miles per year. But maybe I should check them out! Nice to get guaranteed Porsche parts and even diminished value if needed. I am sure they would understand diminished value compared to a generalist insurance agency.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 09-11-2020, 01:55 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,122 Likes on 1,460 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I’m definitely going to shop USAA as I think they have raised rates. Two rate affecting variables are whether you commute and how many miles you predict you’ll drive per year.
USAA...those sneaky F***ks. I was on the phone with an agent discussing Porsche insurance (and had a policy with them for over 20 years) and he said "Nice! you own a Porsche? Ever take it to the track?" I thought he was an enthusiast. I said "Yes, I'm an Instructor for High Performance Driving Schools". 6 days later a letter arrives and they had they cancelled my auto insurance on all my vehicles.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:07 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,427 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
USAA...those sneaky F***ks. I was on the phone with an agent discussing Porsche insurance (and had a policy with them for over 20 years) and he said "Nice! you own a Porsche? Ever take it to the track?" I thought he was an enthusiast. I said "Yes, I'm an Instructor for High Performance Driving Schools". 6 days later a letter arrives and they had they cancelled my auto insurance on all my vehicles.
That sucks. I have been a USAA member for years but their rates were never better than the others, and even if they were I would not be inclined to go with them now.

Quick Reply: Porsche Auto Insurance