Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I going to regret buying a 911 instead of a Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2020 | 02:33 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
You'll only regret it if you have a Vagina. (Please excuse my sense of humour.) You only buy a Cayman because you don't want to stretch to a 911.
That's not entirely a true statement. Even for those of us that can "stretch" to a 911 without really stretching anything sometimes you just don't want one. I'll go further. The GT4 is the only Porsche I ever had the desire to buy and likely will be the only one ever put the in garage. The only exception being if the wife has to replace the dog transporter at some point. Can't buy a chinesium Volvo so the Macan is a viable replacement.
The following users liked this post:
JaguarXJ6 (11-06-2020)
Old 09-01-2020 | 03:24 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The 911 has never been, nor will it ever be, the car that keeps Porsche in business.
True, but the 911 outsells their other sports cars handily.
Old 09-01-2020 | 03:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
True, but the 911 outsells their other sports cars handily.
I think you mean sports car, singular, as they only make one other sports car, the 718. Porsche is an SUV company that sells sports cars on the side. Actually, I should say, sells GT cars and sports cars on the side, given how big and soft the 911 has grown over the years.

Last edited by Archimedes; 09-01-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2020 | 03:51 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I think you mean sports car, singular, as they only make one other sports car, the 718. Porsche is an SUV company that sells sports cars on the side. Actually, I should say, sells GT cars and sports cars on the side, given how big and soft the 911 has grown over the years.
Still, my point was that 911s (all the variants) outsell all the variants of Boxsters and Caymans collectively. If you look at Porsche since the first Boxster, you can see the Boxster saved the company from going under, but ever since its popularity has peaked and waned, and the Cayman has never been popular. As one can surmise from my user name I like Boxsters and Caymans, but in the end they just fall short. And I've had the very best of the bunch less the 718 Spyder and GT4, but to me those are yesterday's news.

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 09-01-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-01-2020 | 04:17 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
IMO you answered your own question already when you wrote this:
"I've taken all these on test drives, and just didn't fall in love with the 911s the way I did with the Caymans."
Except when you're a newbie, you usually don't know that there are significant differences in models and variants and options (foot stomp). After having 2 Boxsters with X73, no way am I going to like one with PASM. That can be applied to specific motors and outputs, gearboxes, options like SC, PCCB, Bose, Burmester, RWS, the PCM, and price points, etc., etc. There should be quite a lot to weigh into decision points. That's why typically so many are so opinionated. They are factoring in much more than usually fully expressed. Would be interesting to see what would top people's lists at certain price points. Price changes everything.

If I lucked out and got a high MSRP 981 Cayman GTS with X73 and gearbox of choice, I just might want to keep it for awhile. Anything else, including a GT4 (redefines harsh), probably not.
Old 09-01-2020 | 04:18 PM
X2Board
Pro

You only buy a Cayman because you don't want to stretch to a 911.
I sold my '14 991.1 S, and bought a '17 718 S. Neither car is a "stretch". I'll probably add a GT 3 to the stable at some point, when regular track events are a thing again. (718 is faster than my .1 S at VIR)

To be 100% honest, I should have kept my 911 when I got the 718, as it was more comfortable on very long drives, but 5 cars with just 2 drivers, and a 2 car garage was getting to be a pain.

Old 09-01-2020 | 07:52 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

My experience:
987.1 Cayman S MT: Great car! , traded for
981 Cayman GTS MT: Great car!, traded for:
991.2 Carrera GTS MT: Great car! (current)
718 Boxster base MT: Great car! (current): on back roads in nice weather with the top down, and RPMs always above 3K, arguably the most fun of the lot

AlexCeres (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020 | 08:00 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

You'll only regret it if you have a Vagina. (Please excuse my sense of humour.) You only buy a Cayman because you don't want to stretch to a 911.
I don't have a vagina, but I do know a di** when I see one (all in good fun)
Old 09-01-2020 | 08:19 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

I had a 2019 boxter for a week last year. Fun, but cramped in the footwell. Would be great for less than 1 hour trips.
Old 09-01-2020 | 09:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by whiteducktail
I briefly looked at Caymans while shopping for my first Porsche. The things that turned me off of the Cayman were:
  • Tighter interior for a large guy (6' 2", 220 lbs). With the mid engine layout, the seat only goes back so much... 911 has lots of leg room and cabin space in general.
  • Dash gauges only have 3 gauge circles instead of 5. The classic 5 gauge circle dash layout is a must.
  • The mid engine layout is less intriguing than the rear engine layout. I want to be challenged and to earn the satisfaction of mastering a special platform.
  • The mid engine layout makes DYI maintenance more difficult. Even though the 911 engine only reveals a couple cooling fans when you open the engine cover, the maintenance is still not bad at all when you learn how to take the bumper cover off.
  • Oh yeah, and the 911 is the flagship.
Mastering the platform on the street? In a 991? With psm on? Please...

As for maintenance, the cayman/boxster is much easier to work on than a 911. Sounds like you have done any maintenance on a boxster/cayman.

Ive owned both. The box/cayman is the better platform for going fast. Such is life
ducktails (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020 | 10:59 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fr3nch
im 6’3”. Already been in the cayman and barely fit. I mean barely, but comfortably. Seat is touching the firewall and only have about 1” of headroom. Not going to be able to have a helmet on in there.

will have another person sometimes. mostly myself.

typical pleasure drive will be an hour or two. I do want to take road trips in the car, which is kinda the point of this car for me. I figured the cayman with the trunk and frunk would be good enough. I’m guessing you’re about to tell me otherwise.
We are about the same height, and I had my Boxster seat all the way back and down, and just barely fit. In my 991, my seat is not all the way back, and of course, the seat back can lean even further.

I do think the 991 has more luggage room, and can even fit a wheel and tire behind the front seats.
Old 09-02-2020 | 08:07 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Once upon a time (around 50 years ago to be more exact probably before some of you were born) there was a little car called a 911 that I took out for a drive. It was an amazing little machine that felt like nothing (back then I owned Triumphs, MG's and JH's) else on the road. Fifty years later I've owned 45 Porsche's (built a few dozen one off ones mostly for people with money who didn't like what the 911 had become I also built the most crazy one for myself), and though I would still take the 911 over any of the Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, BMW's AMG's I have owned. The 911 is not what it once was. It is big and it is heavy (not by todays standards but to an old timer like me), which is why I've own/owned cars like the 4C, Evora 400 (manual of course), 500 Abarth, Miata. OP ask yourself what purpose you have for the car, most people are not like me (most people are not about to buy car #486 either), I think no car is that good out of the box so there is always a few things I need to do to it to make it something I want to drive. 911's or even Porsche's are not for everyone, but I would never recommend buying something that does not suit your purpose simply because it is there and is at the right price point. For 70K I'd buy a 4C or a used Evora 400, or even an AMG GTS (there is a highly modified one in one of my garages that is a keeper). I have also owned 62 BMW's (have a modified 2020 M550 now) which are very different driving experiences than a 911 or Cayman. You will not duplicate those experiences you had in a BMW M car in a Porsche. I have owned 3 mid engine Porsche's my favorite was the first a 2001 Boxster S, it was light, handled well (after some changes) and had a steering feel that no longer exist in a Porsche. Yes, this is a Porsche forum, but not everyone needs can be filled by owning one. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2020 | 09:01 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Once upon a time (around 50 years ago to be more exact probably before some of you were born) there was a little car called a 911 that I took out for a drive. It was an amazing little machine that felt like nothing (back then I owned Triumphs, MG's and JH's) else on the road. Fifty years later I've owned 45 Porsche's (built a few dozen one off ones mostly for people with money who didn't like what the 911 had become I also built the most crazy one for myself), and though I would still take the 911 over any of the Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, BMW's AMG's I have owned. The 911 is not what it once was. It is big and it is heavy (not by todays standards but to an old timer like me), which is why I've own/owned cars like the 4C, Evora 400 (manual of course), 500 Abarth, Miata. OP ask yourself what purpose you have for the car, most people are not like me (most people are not about to buy car #486 either), I think no car is that good out of the box so there is always a few things I need to do to it to make it something I want to drive. 911's or even Porsche's are not for everyone, but I would never recommend buying something that does not suit your purpose simply because it is there and is at the right price point. For 70K I'd buy a 4C or a used Evora 400, or even an AMG GTS (there is a highly modified one in one of my garages that is a keeper). I have also owned 62 BMW's (have a modified 2020 M550 now) which are very different driving experiences than a 911 or Cayman. You will not duplicate those experiences you had in a BMW M car in a Porsche. I have owned 3 mid engine Porsche's my favorite was the first a 2001 Boxster S, it was light, handled well (after some changes) and had a steering feel that no longer exist in a Porsche. Yes, this is a Porsche forum, but not everyone needs can be filled by owning one. Good luck.
1Carnut : You're either Jerry Seinfeld, Jay Leno, or Ralph Lauren. Come on, give it up!
GT3FZS (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020 | 09:18 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
Seems I have read this exact same post in several threads...we get the point!
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Z.:
GT3FZS (09-02-2020), Klepper (09-02-2020)
Old 09-02-2020 | 09:28 AM
polobai
Drifting

I have read this thread in its entirety as I have owned both cars. IMO forget about the stereotypes with owning a Cayman vs 911-get what YOU want and not what everyone else wants you to get. At the end it really comes down to what you plan to do with the car. If you are going to track it-get a Cayman. If you are going to daily/street drive it/put it on the track once in a while, get a 911. If you ever think you will need backseats-then your only option is the 911.
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
GT3FZS (09-02-2020), SFZ GT3 (09-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Am I going to regret buying a 911 instead of a Cayman?