Car Jacking

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 05:22 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Guess I will make a copy and black out the address
If you get stopped, won't the cops not accept the altered document? I agree you should not have anything with your home address on it, but what do you tell the cops on a stop?
Old 08-20-2020, 05:34 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

Im gonna say with all the **** going on I dont want people knowing where I live when they break in my car. My license will check out with the address and the plate will match
Old 08-20-2020, 05:51 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you get stopped, won't the cops not accept the altered document? I agree you should not have anything with your home address on it, but what do you tell the cops on a stop?
These days they know everything about the car, owner, registration etc by the time they are standing next to your car.
Old 08-20-2020, 05:51 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

There are some nuances here on the advice and statements of carrying a firearm.

First - Never carry a firearm without a CCP + Training. Having a gun in the car without proper education and training is very dangerous on its own. Know how to carry it, how to use it and when to you use it and have a lot of practice with instruction so you know very well what it feels like.

Second - don't be stupid. Don't roll down your window or be in a place where someone can have a gun pointed at your head before you can either get away or draw. Second b.) If you're behind the wheel then pay attention. PAY ATTENTION. Don't tailgate so you can drive away and if you're in gridlock then.... PAY ATTENTION.

Third - Sadly in many places the headline will read: "Rich entitled elitist gets too close to peaceful protestors that are just trying to get attention and seeking justice gets car stolen." The authorities will do as much to help you as they have the businesses they've let burn to the ground and your insurance company is going to fault you for being there in the first place.

Fourth - Don't be stupid and pay attention.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:53 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

darn-it, forgot about the registration and insurance cards.

thanks for removing that small piece-of-mind i had thinking i was smart for not putting it in the GPS. haha. oh, well.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:22 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I don’t worry about s#it that happens about as often as lightening strikes. And if it did happen, I’d just get out of the f*cking car and start thinking about options on the new one. I wouldn’t want the nightmares after shooting someone over a stupid car.
The following 3 users liked this post by 0luke1:
ABAD911 (08-21-2020), darylbowden (08-21-2020), Yojeffo (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 10:46 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am glad on all the feedback/advice given. I never thought about the favorite home location before. My insurance card does not have my address but my registration does. I figured the cops should already have that as stated above. So thinking about removing it. Not sure what the law is in IL about it. I think the emissions card has that information too. Going to have to read up on it.

We can't be too careful now a days. Rather have thought about it and not caught by surprise.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:52 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

Yeah, Im that guy that has all my service report in the glove box with all my info on them. Thats about to stop too
Old 08-20-2020, 11:06 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 161 Posts

My 2 bits...

(1) If you carry (with CCW and training), carry on your person - don't leave your firearm in your door pocket - I know too many people that have had firearms stolen from their vehicles. You very much want not to have that weapon used in a crime, for many reasons.
(2) The safest course of action is to walk away - but be firm and assertive if you have loved ones or kids in the car that they get out too. FBI stats aren't good on carjacking hostages (particularly children).

cheers!
Old 08-21-2020, 12:05 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 877 Likes on 416 Posts

Speer Gold Dot here. I agree a car is not worth my life but there is something to be said for taking certain scum out of the gene pool.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:21 AM
slimmn
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts

For all the times I've been stopped by a cop, I've never been asked to show registration. I always show my driver license and insurance card. I'm in MN by the way. I don't even have the registration in my car. Is this a thing with other states?
Old 08-22-2020, 02:26 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by slimmn
For all the times I've been stopped by a cop, I've never been asked to show registration. I always show my driver license and insurance card. I'm in MN by the way. I don't even have the registration in my car. Is this a thing with other states?
it is. In CA they always always ask for the registration. If it’s not perfectly up to date, they always give a fix it. Often (not always) that’s doing me a favor though. “I’m warning you about your speed, please pay your registration”. They get a citation for their quota, I skip on a moving violation, everybody wins.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:45 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I thought I was about to die twice in the cockpit. I managed to fly my way out of both jams, mainly because they happened while I was at sea and my skills were razor sharp from flying maximum hours, but from those experiences with stress and adrenaline, I know it would be sheer luck if I were able to draw my pistol and shoot accurately, much less deal with a stovepiped round, during a car jacking, even with all the training I received (I was an extremely good shot). More likely, especially if the car jacker has a pistol or takes yours away from you, you’ll die on the spot.

If you’re car jacked, get out of the car - and live to join the 992 discussion.

Last edited by 0luke1; 08-22-2020 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 11:03 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 877 Likes on 416 Posts

To me, there are at least three schools of thought here.
1) Immediately give up your property, no questions asked
2) Cowboy up and use your self-defense weapon no matter what
3) Assess the situation and if the opportunity comes available or if this is the only alternative, fight.

This is the bases for training that has been going on at many businesses and is often training given by LEO:
Run, Hide, Fight.

Always be cognizant of your surroundings - situational awareness can save your life armed or not and in many circumstances besides a carjacking.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

We are in a crazy period of time right now. Lots of people angry at people with wealth or perceived wealth. Very unpredictable how any situation will go down even if you try to cooperate. If alone you can make decisions based on what you see as the best alternative to survive the situation. If with a loved one it really changes how you need to evaluate the outcome.
Not much help out there right now at a time when some think it's ok to burn and loot just because they feel inferior, wronged or entitled. Stay safe out there, never thought we would be here at this time almost anywhere in the US.

Quick Reply: Car Jacking