Sponsored by:

APR PDK Tune

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:01 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts
Default APR PDK Tune

I thought i would keep this seperate so it doesn’t get buried on the engine tuning threads.

Tyler had mentioned an APR PDK tune that fixes the shift issue. It appears when you highly mod and tune, you exceed the factory setting torque limit on the PDK and occasionally it will refuse a shift. It will stay in the same gear and rev back out and then shift.

I don’t want to turn power down, i want to increase it, so this needs to be fixed.

I have spoked to MoTeC and Calibrated Performance, they write the software. They said Golf’s had a similar issue where if torque exceeded 590N/m it would refuse the shift.
they intercept the signal, and change it to always read 580N/m so it will make the shift.

We know the PDK can handle insane levels of torque, so this is not a concern. But i have been waiting over a year for MoTeC.

i want this gone now. Nothing worse than following a GT2-RS onto the straight, and pulling out to over take it and the car refuses the shift and you don’t get it done.

Luckily the 2-RS taps the brakes and lets you go by, as he doesn’t want anymore paint rubbed off his rear bumper. 🤣

Ideally I would love to see APR sell their PDK tune separately now. As their ability to switch tunes at home, won’t be this year.

C’mon Tyler, hook us up Brother.
The following users liked this post:
e46_ema (10-21-2021)
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

You dont need the PDK tune to remedy the shift, you need a different tune. Cobb has been unable to figure it out APR has.
As you are aware, I have had the APR tune on my car for two weeks now and not a single problem shifting...

However, the car is not as fast as the previous Pro Tune, proven by multiple Dragy tests and my butt dyno, and the power comes on much smoother and linear.
It was a trade off I was "willing" to make, but in your case I don't think I would be. With my Targa weight, I will never be the fastest GTS or track the car.
I am accepting of the trade off in speed for the more gradual power and decrease in overall performance. Don't get me wrong, I would love it all, but this way is the better of two choices for me.

Going in tomorrow for intercoolers and inlets. Why? I have no idea. I regret buying them now but, since I already own the stuff I am going to go forward and install it.
Maybe it will help with the current high temps maybe it wont do a thing.
Trapperj (08-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 08:35 PM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I thought i would keep this seperate so it doesn’t get buried on the engine tuning threads.

Tyler had mentioned an APR PDK tune that fixes the shift issue. It appears when you highly mod and tune, you exceed the factory setting torque limit on the PDK and occasionally it will refuse a shift. It will stay in the same gear and rev back out and then shift.

I don’t want to turn power down, i want to increase it, so this needs to be fixed.

I have spoked to MoTeC and Calibrated Performance, they write the software. They said Golf’s had a similar issue where if torque exceeded 590N/m it would refuse the shift.
they intercept the signal, and change it to always read 580N/m so it will make the shift.

We know the PDK can handle insane levels of torque, so this is not a concern. But i have been waiting over a year for MoTeC.

i want this gone now. Nothing worse than following a GT2-RS onto the straight, and pulling out to over take it and the car refuses the shift and you don’t get it done.

Luckily the 2-RS taps the brakes and lets you go by, as he doesn’t want anymore paint rubbed off his rear bumper. 🤣

Ideally I would love to see APR sell their PDK tune separately now. As their ability to switch tunes at home, won’t be this year.

Yes, we have experienced and fixed this issue so many have run into with our PDK software. No ECU changes. It is important to fix the PDK side correctly and not just limit the tq value going across. Accurate tq reporting is very important especially to have the clutch apply as needed.

We will be selling the pdk tune, we are still finishing some development on it, but will be releasing all the models at once when do release. No eta at the moment but we are aiming for before the year is up.

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
You dont need the PDK tune to remedy the shift, you need a different tune. Cobb has been unable to figure it out APR has.
As you are aware, I have had the APR tune on my car for two weeks now and not a single problem shifting...

However, the car is not as fast as the previous Pro Tune, proven by multiple Dragy tests and my butt dyno, and the power comes on much smoother and linear.
It was a trade off I was "willing" to make, but in your case I don't think I would be. With my Targa weight, I will never be the fastest GTS or track the car.
I am accepting of the trade off in speed for the more gradual power and decrease in overall performance. Don't get me wrong, I would love it all, but this way is the better of two choices for me.

Going in tomorrow for intercoolers and inlets. Why? I have no idea. I regret buying them now but, since I already own the stuff I am going to go forward and install it.
Maybe it will help with the current high temps maybe it wont do a thing.
Yes you will not have the shifting problem with our Production GTS ECU software as we ran into this and made the software work with the stock PDK. When you start to push past the 93 octane power on the GTS turbo you will run into this issue. Especially on Race gas or E85. For a hybrid turbo you will need to have both the pdk and ecu software to work appropriately together.

Also please send me these draggys in a pm please. There is no reason our performance should be slower. I would like to see this. Thanks. And also remember to use sport or sport plus. Normal mode and Sport make different power.

Last edited by Tyler@APR; 08-12-2020 at 08:47 PM.
e46_ema (10-21-2021)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:08 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

I sent everything to support@goapr.com. check it out. I also sent you a PM
Old 08-12-2020, 09:23 PM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I sent everything to support@goapr.com. check it out. I also sent you a PM
Perfect we will look at it asap.
e46_ema (10-21-2021)
Old 08-13-2020, 12:48 AM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Also since you started the thread please feel free to ask questions about what is coming, what we have been working on and found, etc. Happy to answer and give some information prior to when we do our full release with all the details.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:03 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tyler@APR

We will be selling the pdk tune, we are still finishing some development on it, but will be releasing all the models at once when do release. No eta at the moment but we are aiming for before the year is up.

Also since you started the thread please feel free to ask questions about what is coming, what we have been working on and found, etc. Happy to answer and give some information prior to when we do our full release with all the details.
I am really looking forward to getting rid of this issue. It was annoying at the track today.

So what else is cooking? Map switching? Rolling Launch control 😁
Old 08-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am really looking forward to getting rid of this issue. It was annoying at the track today.

So what else is cooking? Map switching? Rolling Launch control 😁
Yeah I can agree with you there. It was an issue once we experienced that we looked into for quite some time to get rid of. Now the PDK runs 9s and doesn't skip a beat or have any problem holding the power or making the shifts.

We are working now on more pdk platforms before releasing, 991.2 Turbo development, at home flashing is still in the works and few other quite exciting projects.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tyler@APR:
the_buch (08-13-2020), Trapperj (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

Yeah I can agree with you there. It was an issue once we experienced that we looked into for quite some time to get rid of. Now the PDK runs 9s and doesn't skip a beat or have any problem holding the power or making the shifts.

We are working now on more pdk platforms before releasing, 991.2 Turbo development, at home flashing is still in the works and few other quite exciting projects.
Tyler can you give us an ETA and maybe more details on how ya'll plan to implement the map switching. I am more curious about, having 91/93 in the tank and then switching, and then filling up with E85 or getting E85 first and then swap maps. How much driving around and if you guys see any ill effects on that switch since 93 tune with 91 gas is likely ok when normal zipping around but E85 with 91/93 may not be. Also I know you guys said in the last video, APR made, that every third tank of E85 run some 91/93OCT but what are the long term effects and can you just keep E85 in the system 100% of the time with the .2 platform?

What else can we expect on the new exciting projects part? Rolling lauch as mentioned above seems like a cool feature!
Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Nabil_3.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

@4 Point 0

You have a Cobb tune now correct?

If so this has been fixed by the guys at @M Engineering a long time ago like 6 weeks ago actually? My car is running E85 all the time now but i still have my 93 tune available as i run a full tank of 93 every oil change just to clean out the system.

I have no shift issues with either tune. I'ts very smooth

Nothing against APR they are doing some amazing stuff as well but seeing how you already spent the money on the Cobb it makes no sense to throw it away.
e46_ema (10-21-2021)
Old 09-21-2020, 05:34 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Yes, we have experienced and fixed this issue so many have run into with our PDK software. No ECU changes. It is important to fix the PDK side correctly and not just limit the tq value going across. Accurate tq reporting is very important especially to have the clutch apply as needed.

How are we progressing with the PDK software update? The last race of the season is About a month away and I need to win to win. Otherwise I am most likely to be second. And you know what they say about second?

(The first looser. No one remembers who comes second. )
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 PM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

How are we progressing with the PDK software update? The last race of the season is About a month away and I need to win to win. Otherwise I am most likely to be second. And you know what they say about second?

Pdk is coming along great. We are working on the 991.2 Turbo Finally. So once that is finished up and the GT3RS then I will expect us to prepare to release all the models at once. I do not see any models getting released before another at this time.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:30 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

FVD has is now FWIW.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:34 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Pdk is coming along great. We are working on the 991.2 Turbo Finally. So once that is finished up and the GT3RS then I will expect us to prepare to release all the models at once. I do not see any models getting released before another at this time.
Any chance of seeing 991.1 stuff? Or just the .2?
Old 09-21-2020, 02:47 PM
Tyler@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I do not see why we couldn't do that. Basically just need to be put on the schedule and determined how important it is at that time.

Right now the release will just be for the 991.2.
AdamSanta85 (09-21-2020)

Quick Reply: APR PDK Tune